rehoming indoor/outdoor cat

kammykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i’m moving from the suburbs to the city. i have a cat who lives indoor and outdoors. i found a family for him here but i wonder what the best way to introduce him to the new family/location is. the house is about 5 miles away. i’ll be physically leaving next week. should i bring him over and spend time there together? should i not feed him for the morning when i bring him over? how long until they can let him out? other suggestions? i’m worried he will come back to this house since it’s his territory even though i won’t be here. i so appreciate your help!! (the decision to make him an outdoor car has been weighed by the risks and that is the best solution for him so i don’t need comments on that. thanks!)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have definitely had posts on this situation, and sometimes the cat does keep going back to the old house. Not sure any of those were more than a mile or two, but there might have been one or two of comparable distance. And I guess the bigger issue is that the cat is likely to try, even if he cant figure out where the old house is. So, while I don't think anyone can tell you exactly how long inside the new house would be best, its plainly better to err on the side of caution. Probably other posters will suggest permanent conversion to indoor only, and while that is really the only fully safe option, I'm sure you/they have considered it.

Unfortunately, many indoor/outdoor cats forced to stay inside are huge PITAs for quite a while, so make sure they are prepared/committed for door dashing and whining to last for potentially weeks. Hopefully significantly less, but weeks is definitely quite possible.

Your definitely going to get some catio posts. I don't particularly think a catio solves the problem, but it definitely doesn't hurt, except maybe financially.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may be helpful to bring him over soon in case he escapes and wanders back.

It'll be beneficial to recommend to the new owners to keep him inside for one month and to let the new residents of your old home know that the cat used to live there and where to return the cat to.

I would feed him first, in case he doesn't eat a few days due to stress.

It'll help for him to have some of his old things and decompress in a single room for a day before having his new home slowly open up to him.

Does he know the people you are homing him to?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, did some researching, and the consensus is that it takes about 3 weeks for a cat's internal "GPS" to reset to a new home location, so he should be kept in for the first 3 weeks. And since an outdoor cat's territory can extend for up to 5 miles, there's a good chance, should he get out before then, that he'd end up back at your current house. IF you have a trusted neighbor where you are, I'd ask permission to give their number to the new family, in case he gets out, or to ask the new family if you can give the trusted neighbor their phone number, in case he shows up there.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I would recommend keeping him indoors for at least the first 30 days.

Does the new home have a garden or yard? It might be possible for the new family to put up a cat proof fence to keep him close to his new home. Ask the new family to sprinkle some of his used cat litter around the perimeter of their property. Not only will this let other cats in the area know that a new cat has claimed this territory, it will also help him understand that the new property is his home now.

If you have any blankets, cat beds, cat scratchers, cat furniture etc take it over to his new home. Anything with his scent on it will help him settle in.