rehoming cats; Siberian advice; screen advice

bellebud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've posted before about my 2 kitties.  We adopted them last November from the humane society, and were allowing them to be indoor/outdoor cats.  They were bringing home 1/2 dead prey and eating it while it was still alive.  We were prepared to find a horse barn that wanted hunting cats.  I also came here for advice, and because of the responses here, we decided to keep our kitties and make them indoor only.

This was working... except that my hubby is allergic.  Some cats bother him more than others.  These cats are possibly just under 1 year old (the humane society didn't have details on the cats).  My husband is becoming more and more sensitive to them.  I had him pet them last night, and a few minutes later, he was really, really bothered by his allergies (eyes itching/swelling/tearing, nose itching).  I only see this getting worse as the cats get older.

When we were looking for a new home for them a little while ago, we found a wonderful family that would love to take them.  They will be indoor/outdoor cats there (but possibly only indoor, as there are 2 little girls there who can't wait to get the kitties, and maybe they'll keep them indoor only), but I want to be sure they make the transition well.  I'm so afraid of the cats being brought there, being let outside, and running away.

Any advice on helping the cats adjust to their new home?  I'm giving the family everything we have for the cats (the food, bowls, litter,  litterboxes, 2 large climbing trees, several small hiding trees, their blankets, beds, all their toys, etc).  Hopefully their familiar things will help them feel at home right away.  

I want to say to the family "if you're going to let them outside, please don't do so for X amount of time, so the cats know *this* is their new home".  What would that amount of time be??  A week?  

I know many of you are going to say "forever", which I now mostly agree with, but I can't control what the other family does.  I had an indoor/outdoor cat who lived to 17 years old.  She was the perfect pet, so I can't 100% say all cats must be indoor only.  And again, I cannot control what this family does.  

Also, another thing we're thinking of... Siberian cats.  We have a local breeder who says we can come and interact w/ the momma's of the litters, to see if my husband is allergic to them.  I did a search on this site, but honestly didn't find much info.  We would get 2 female kittens, and keep them indoor only.  I have a screened porch the cats can stay in when we want our doors open (like today, 70's, sunny, breezy).  The dogs want to go in and out, and we have a doggie door for them.  The rest of the time, the cats will be in the house.  The cats are in the porch and are fine, EXCEPT that they're tearing up the screens. My husband is not liking this at all, and I'm afraid it will determine whether or not we can get new kittens (which believe me, I feel SOOOOO badly for... re-homing these cats and getting replacements).  I'm not 100% sure we're going to do it, because I feel so guilty.  But my 10yo son is devastated we can't keep these girls (he's even a little allergic I think), so the new kitties might help him recover.  I don't know...

Anyway, thanks if you made it this far!  To recap... #1 helping cats adjust to new home; #2 Siberians and allergies; #3 screens

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well first of all, contrary to belief allergies are caused by proteins in the cats saliva... Siberians are long haired cats, which means the cats will be grooming themselves more often... More saliva.  It is true that some cats saliva may produce less allergens.  But it sounds like you're trading one problem for another... And breeders are a lot more particular, in general, about rehoming.  So I would really think about this a lot before doing it.  Kittens  may not produce any allergic saliva until older. 

Is there not any allergy medication that can help?  They make a lot of them now and supposedly they do wonders for those with allergies to cats and dogs, etc. 

Screening people can be very hard.  You need to ask most of the questions and you need to decide what is acceptable to you.  You say you have no control over what the people will do... But you do.  You need to ask questions about whether they intend to keep them indoors.  About their vet.  How many pets in the last few years they have had and how many do they still have.  You need to ask about their routine.  Lots of people ask if they can contact their vet to establish whether or not there is a relationship.  Red flags include saying "Oh we'll just let them come and go as they please."  "I don't have a vet yet.  But I have pets."  "I am doing this because my kids are bugging me for pets."  "I've had many cats over the last couple of years.  I've (gotten rid of) this many or I still have this many."  Someone who's gotten rid of a lot of pets obviously is not a good choice.  And if they have pets but no vet... NO. 

The thing that is disturbing about this and I am not in any way trying to be mean is that you say your husband and yourself are upset about the destruction the current cats have caused to your home in particular your screened porch... Kittens are a lot more destructive.  And they are lot more work.  I don't think this is a great idea, to be honest... Your husband is allergic and I don't know that you'd be happy with kittens.  Kids are often a big reason people get puppies or kittens and as soon as they grow up or become boring, well....Please, please, please really think about this and think about all the cons... I really honestly believe you'd be trading in one problem for a bigger one. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellebud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I truly appreciate your reply!  

"Supposedly" the Siberians don't produce the amount of the protein FEL-D1 that most cats do.  Of course I'm not going to take the breeders word for it.  Husband and son will play with/pet the adult mommy for a while.  My husband can tell w/in 30 minutes or so whether he's allergic or not to a cat.  Some homes he walks in and knows they have cats right away.  Some homes he can't feel the allergies.  If he's at all allergic to the adult mommy, we're just going to forget the whole cat thing.  This breeder says they have documented lab work on the D1 protein for all their breeding cats.  Again, I'm going to see first hand, since we'll be going there.

Yes, my husband is upset about the screens in the screened porch.  I was wondering about first hand experience with "pet screens".  My cat kennel lady told me she's slowly replacing all the screens in her home w/ these other types of screens, because her cats are ruining them.  They're thicker and don't shred like regular screens.  I'd be willing to cat proof our screened porch if that's what it takes to have cats.  

We know the family who is taking our cats (know them through my sister-in-law).  She's friends with them (has known them for years) and they're local to us.  We can even go visit the cats, but I don't want to do that to my son, so we won't.  So I'm ok w/ the home they're going to.  

I do realize kittens are work... I'm a huge animal lover and don't consider caring for pets "work" though.  I've always had a cat and a dog growing up, and we've had our own puppies/dogs since being married for 20 years.  These cats were 3month and 4month old kittens when we got them, and while they required more care in the beginning, it's fine by me.  I enjoy it :)

Again, thank you so much for your reply!  I appreciate your thoughts.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siberians do seem to be better for those with allergies and great you are going to try it out at the breeders first.

I had someone come and allergy test my breed, I left 5-6 cats out for her. She played with them, patted, rubbed tummies, got up really close to them, then rubbed her eyes etc. Apparently that would normally be enough for her to get a reaction.

No advice on the rehoming I've never had outdoor cats

Last edited:

sofluffy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As an kitty mommy of a Siberian I highly recommend them. My parnter is.super allgeric to cats and a I also allegric but less severly. My Siberian is a little over a year and an indoor cat only. We were sketepical at first but the genetic.mutation that causes protein really does.seem to.help. We have had no allgery problems which is amazing since.my girl loves to rub facea and.cuddle. Before we got her we did a lot of research on the topic. Getting a dark colored female cat is suppose to help.with allgeries too. Make sure you get an actucal.Siberian not a nova masquerece which is a non hypoallergenic offshot. In addition Siberians have the cutest meows and great personalities Good.luck.in your search.