Rehomed cat scared and hiding

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents took in a loved rehomed cat a month ago. They can't find her she eats and uses litter box at night but only a can of food a day. She was social before but not at all now. She came out once but has gone back into hiding it has been a month. Is this going to change? My parents are in their 70's and totally stressed my mom is worried about my dads stress level over this. Is this hopeless?

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi DarciFinn, it's NOT hopeless! As a matter of fact, it's a great sign that she's eating and using the litterbox. Some rehomed cats don't even do that for days. The most important thing right now is that your parents relax and not stress over this very temporary period. Cats can sense stress, anxiety and fear. It's so palpable to them, and it only ends up stressing them out more. Tell them they have nothing to worry about and that it's totally normal, and that they just have to let the cat be in hiding until she feels comfortable enough to come out.

Her hiding behavior is normal for cats who were just rehomed and placed in a totally foreign environment. Let her stay in hiding for as long as she feels she needs to. Make sure the food, water and litter box are placed near her hiding spot so she has easy access and doesn't get anxious trying to find it. Make sure the litterbox gets scooped often. Tell mom and dad to relax. Eventually, she will come out of hiding when she gets used to her surroundings and realizes it's not a scary and dangerous place. But let her have the time and the space to do that on her own. Don't try to get too close to her. Don't ever try to touch her or grab her or force her out. Just give her the space and time to feel safe. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long was she at her previous home and why did she need to be rehomed? I bet she misses her old home and the family. She may be grieving the loss. At least she is eating and using the litter box. I think she will adjust in time. She needs a lot of patience and understanding and kindness. Have your parents ever had a cat before?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it might be good to put her in a small room or bathroom with all the essentials for the time being, if they can. She's scared and overwhelmed, and adjusting to the newness of a much smaller space first will make the adjustment a lot easier. Cats are naturally more cautious in wide-open spaces. She will still want to hide at first, so it would be good to give her some hiding places like cardboard boxes and block off any area that could be dangerous. When the door is closed, she'll soon start exploring her surroundings and feeling more comfortable bit by bit. Your parents can spend some time in there every day just sitting next to her, maybe reading a book out loud, so she can get used to them. They shouldn't try to pet her if she's hiding, but when she starts to get curious and come out, they can offer a hand for her to sniff and rub against if she wants, and eventually their relationship will grow. When she starts to seem curious about the world beyond the door, then it's time to introduce her to the rest of the house.

It is very normal for a cat to be scared and hide when they arrive at a new home. Since she's already used to being a pet cat she won't have to to learn much about being social with people, she just needs some time to decide that she's safe. How long that takes is different for every cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what my mom said she think she's grieving the loss of her family who loved her very much and checks in on her. She is 2 1/2 and they said that she slept with them every night. They rehomed her because they had to take it in in law and her mother and then they needed to build a bigger house and no place would take a cat for the six months transition. They did not think it was fair to foster her which frankly I don't get because I love my cats so much that I would've found a way to make it work but I'm not going to judge because they seem like nice people. I did give her her own room for the first three weeks and they left the door open and she came out and brushed up against my dad and said hello but then they had a houseguest and she's been in hiding for another week. My parents live in a big house so someone suggested they put the cat food on the second floor which is a flight up from her room. They did that two nights ago and she did come up both nights. My parents have always had cats but have gotten them from kittens so I much different situation. They also have not had any in about eight years because they traveled all over the world. I think they will hang in another month before they try to figure out if there's another option. They are good people and don't want to cause her more pain but I also know that my father is a stressed and nervous because he's worried about her and that stressing my mom out. Thanks for all the replies I will let you know when some progress is made. I feel sad because I couldn't even take her in because she was declawed and I have two big Maine Coones. This is the picture her original family sent us .

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww she's a very sweet and pretty kitty!  I feel bad for her missing her former family.  I think your parents would be a good fit for her if they don't have visitors often.  

It may be that your parents house is just too big for her to get used to all of a sudden.  I think she should get used to just one room at a time until she feels more like venturing out.  You know cats have claustrophilia - they love small spaces.  

The thing with cats is lots and lots of patience!  They will get used to a human being in his or her own time and not until, lol.  She sounds like a bit of a shy kitty, so I would keep her food nearby and her litter close to where she can get to it, even though she has been venturing out and using the litter box where you put it.  

I always tell about my oldest sister (who hates cats) who made the location mistake for my mom's cats when they all moved in with her.  She put them in one room and their litter box on the opposite side of the house.  They had to travel though 2 busy rooms and one of them with yapping dogs behind a gate.  It's no wonder the poor things started peeing on her favorite chair.  (Don't feel sorry for her, she deserved it!)  But I'm just telling you about that to say that for cats, their litter box and food is all about location, location, location.  Lol.  Right now she needs small spaces and when she feels comfortable she will venture out.  Night is a good time and she's already doing that.  

Also, have your dad try ignoring her.  Like have him go into the room where she is with a book and just sit there and completely ignore her, even if she comes out to sniff him.  My mom's cats loved people who ignored them.  Yet they wouldn't give me the time of day because I wanted to hold them so bad!  

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry posted early...They have only seen her three times. They have no idea where she is. They know she is fine because she uses her litter and eats and drinks. She also seems to like to sleep on the pool table. They leave her litter in the area where she feels safe but have been moving her food. She ventures upstairs and eats. I just have to convince her to be patient. She got her to relax my dad and it is stressing him out. That is why I am so thankful for these responses I can share.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@DarciFinn What a BEAUTIFUL cat!! And you're a great daughter for caring about the wellbeing of your parents as well as their new cat. Continue to encourage patience in your parents. Poor thing was also declawed by the previous owner. That alone brings tears to my eyes. She's been through so much. And without her claws, she probably feels even more scared and defenseless in the foreign environment.

Your parents can look forward to many many happy years with her if they can be just a little patient and compassionate with her needs during this adjustment time. I wish her and your family the best. Everything will turn out great in no time.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still say it's best to give her only one room at a time.  Cats feel safer in a small space.  Putting her food and litter in a safe place that's close (not in the same spot though) is the best idea instead of putting food in another room so she has to traverse unknown territory to get to it, which stresses her out.  

If she's in only one room, your dad and mom could come in quietly and sit there and let her get used to their smell and them slowly on her own time.  Then slowly give her access to another room or hall by using a gate (or a door) and let her slowly get used to the house that way.  Slowly, one room or section at a time.   I think having the whole house is overwhelming to her.  By having such a large house and access to every room, she is going to avoid them and hide where they can't see her, which is what she is doing now.  It's going to prolong the process.  Poor kitty!  She will eventually come around, I think, if it's just the two of them there.  If there are visitors who come frequently and house guests, it will just take longer for her to bond with them and get used to the house.  

kenny krozby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted 2 cats at a year old, and one took the move really well.  The other would hide for hours and hours, sometimes we couldn't find her.  Once we found her, she crawled through a hole meant for plumbing to go up to the bath tub on the main level.  It got her inside of the actual bath tub, like in the shell of the tub.  Had a hard time getting her out of there, the trick was to turn the water on and stomp on the tub, that scared her out.  Then we closed that hole haha.  Anyways, it just takes time and they get use to the surroundings. 

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All good in the kitty cat hood. They heard a meow. They went to see her in the middle of the room called her to come into the room with them. That was four-days ago and she is all their cat!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All good in the kitty cat hood. They heard a meow. They went to see her in the middle of the room called her to come into the room with them. That was four-days ago and she is all their cat!

:clap: Yay! Good to hear!!!

Last edited: