Regular Lactose-free Milk For Cats

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm very lactose intolorant myself and usually get plant milks but, very rarely, I get lactose-free milk. I also get catmilk for Elfie as a treat sometimes. She eats 50/50 dry and wet, so a liquid treat for a little extra moisture is a good thing in my mind. But since I have "human" lactose-free milk sometimes too, couldn't I just give her that?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The issue with human lactose free milk is the high sugar content. Most of the time when lactose breaks down it becomes sugar. I wouldn't give more than an occasional treat and definitely not on a daily basis. A better way to increase moisture would be more wet food, encourage drinking water with a fountain or switch to all wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The issue with human lactose free milk is the high sugar content. Most of the time when lactose breaks down it becomes sugar. I wouldn't give more than an occasional treat and definitely not on a daily basis. A better way to increase moisture would be more wet food, encourage drinking water with a fountain or switch to all wet food.
Ah I see. Are the ones specifically made for cats (like for example Whiskas) lower in sugar? I definitely don't give it to her daily, or even weekly. But usually it's once or twice a month because she really likes it and, again, the moisture thing.

I hope to feed all wet by next year but right now I'm glad to finally have her on one wet meal a day. (The breeder fed dry only so it's been a long process... :headshake:) I do have a fountain as well :D

Thanks for your reply!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goat milk is ok to give as treats if your cat likes that. Whole Foods and other similar healthy organic type markets usually have bottles of goat milk. Primal Pet makes a frozen goat milk just for pets. The Honest Kitchen has a powdered goat milk / probiotic product. I saw a package of frozen cubes of goat milk at the independent pet store recently but I can't recall the brand but likely a small company possiblya local one.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Lactaid? Nutritionally it has the same carbs/sugars as regular milk.