Refusing Medication...

Lmiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

My two year old male Houston was diagnosed with hyperestesia and was put on a small dose of Prozac daily. It's been working! HOWEVER... It is a battle to give him the liquid medication.
I wrap him in a towel and hold on tight while my boyfriend gets the meds in his mouth. It's not fun.

Houston refuses any wet food I put in front of him. So I can't mix in liquid or powder medications. I recently had the Prozac compounded into treats and so far he won't eat those either. Picky is an understatement...

He has had trauma in his life so I can't walk over, hold his head and medicate him like my other cats. He will fight to the death before meds go down easy.

Has anyone had success in medicating picky cats?!

Thanks in advance!!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having a lot of issues with my new guy..

Have you tried a transdermal prozac. You apply to ear.

I get him when he is sleeping, hiding under my quilt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lmiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am having a lot of issues with my new guy..

Have you tried a transdermal prozac. You apply to ear.

I get him when he is sleeping, hiding under my quilt.
I didn't know they could do it that way! My vet didn't mention it... thank you so much I will look into it.

Lmiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I like artiemom artiemom 's idea. If that can't be done for some reason, can the capsule form be taken apart and added to some gravy?
I will try putting it in his ear if he absolutely refuses the compounded treats. I can try gravy but he will probably turn his nose up at it. He's very difficult....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wear gloves (plastic or rubber) to apply a transdermal medicine or apply with a q-tip. That will prevent your skin from absorbing the medication.

Were the chew treats flavored?

Lmiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the tip! Yes, the compounded treats are beef flavored. He is severely allergic to chicken. He is just insanely picky....

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also get what is called: Finger Cots... at CVS, Rite-aid, Walgreens, Walmart, etc..

They are weird looking things.. kind of like a condom for a small animal... :insertevillaugh:

You can cover one finger with it, when applying the transdermal.. much easier than gloves.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i always hid capsules, cut pills, in a tiny piece of Pill Pocket and then wrapped it up in bacon.I gave meds for years this way. The trick is to find something your picky eater WILL eat. Cats mostly gulp and swallow, they don't chew thoroughly. Liquids I always put in a small amount of tuna juice to hide the smell.Try Arby's roast beef, a McDonalds hamburger patty, shaved deli turkey, hot dogs, and cheese. There has to be SOMETHING your picky eater will eat. As a last resort, my vet showed me a way to give liquid meds to the impossible.Grab the cat by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hoist their front legs off the ground, it instantly quiets them, instinct, and the dropper can be put into the cheek area in the side of the mouth. It worked for one i had that was impossible, the only way. And much less traumatic!