Redness Of The Gums

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! The only reason I am writing this is needing reassurance, really.
My heart cat, Simba, will turn 7 in June. He is a healthy and happy cat. A few days ago I noticed this (picture attached) and objectively it looks like he had lost his front tooth and it caused a little bit of redness and some swelling but I wouldn’t really say it is swollen. If looking closely, you can even notice a small hole where the tooth was. I am still very much anxious and scared it could be mouth cancer or something. Even though I know it doesn’t look like it at all! It doesn’t seem like it’s bothering him at all, when I touch it, though, it seems painful but obviously if you lose a tooth, especially if it was infected before it fell out, you will have some tenderness until it’s fully healed. Otherwise it doesn’t seem to be an issue for him at all. This picture was taken right after I noticed it, a few days ago. Today it seems to be not that red and the hole from where the tooth supposedly was seems more noticeable because the small amount of swelling went down. At least it seems like it. I am a very anxious person, so it doesn’t calm me down at all and I am just spiralling. Because I know that oral cancer is very aggressive and progressive disease and the prognosis is really poor. And I am so so scared it can happen. Even though, again, I know it doesn’t even look like it. I just need to hear that from other people.
Does it look like it was caused by his tooth falling out? Could that be something really dangerous, like mouth cancer or something? Please share some thoughts or information or maybe your cat had something like that. I can really use some reassurance and support right now.
Thank you!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello!

I am not a veterinarian, however I think because the swelling and redness has become less rather than it increasing, it isn't cancer.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As Furballsmom Furballsmom said, we are not vets, (therefore, cannot give medical advice). However, if you have any doubts or need reassurance can you send the pic to your vet and ask their advice? Has Simba ever had a dental check from your vet?

Try not to worry although I know that's easier said than done. 🤗 Please keep us posted on Simba's progress.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My first cat lost a couple of teeth - they too fell out. I wouldn't have even realized it if it hadn't been for finding them on the floor. No issues or cancer ever came of it. Never did find out why. But you might consider having his teeth checked out to see if other ones are affected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As Furballsmom Furballsmom said, we are not vets, (therefore, cannot give medical advice). However, if you have any doubts or need reassurance can you send the pic to your vet and ask their advice? Has Simba ever had a dental check from your vet?

Try not to worry although I know that's easier said than done. 🤗 Please keep us posted on Simba's progress.
Yes, I will definitely do that. I’ll monitor him for a couple of days and then if I don’t see it getting better, I’ll talk to my vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. My first cat lost a couple of teeth - they too fell out. I wouldn't have even realized it if it hadn't been for finding them on the floor. No issues or cancer ever came of it. Never did find out why. But you might consider having his teeth checked out to see if other ones are affected.
I’m not worrying about his tooth falling out. He has only a few small teeth left, because he lost some when he was outside fighting with other cats. My vet also checked that and said everything looks fine. Right now he does have some plaque on his teeth, so I will be taking him to the vets for a dental cleaning if a dental gel won’t help with that. Otherwise everything looks good. He doesn’t have any sores or lumps or anything like that. I’m just worried because of this redness. Like that this might be due to something serious like mouth cancer, not just because he lost his tooth. Although I know that I’m probably just being really paranoid. I will get it checked or talk to my vet if I don’t see any improvement, though I think it might be getting better. We’ll see. I just always get super anxious over everything, especially if it comes to my cats.