Redirected Aggression Update - Progress not Perfection

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good evening All,
It has been 12 days since the original incident. Here is my progress. So far, I have separated the two neutral cats into my large 200 square foot Master Bedroom suite. The aggressor lives downstairs for now, maybe forever. I have installed Feliway diffusers downstairs and upstairs. I also have the Feliway spray. Waited 3/4 days then tried to reunite. Bad reactions as the aggressor still did not recognize her sister. A few days later I cracked the door to the bedroom to let them see/smell each other. That did not go well. As soon as Onyx (Aggressor) got a good look and smell toward her sisters Michelle (victim) and Isabella (neutral but very shy sibling), she began hissing and growling and the other two ran under the bed. Poor Onyx was so confused looking at me as if to say, "Why are there strange cats in your bedroom?" So, the separation continues. The next thing I have done is move one of my recliners from the living room up to my bedroom area. So now the routine is: Sleep in bedroom. Onyx stays downstairs. When I wake up I feed Michelle and Isabelle treats to reinforce them. Then prepare to go downstairs. By this time Onyx is pacing around meowing for me to come out of the door and I ensure there is no visual contact by extending hand with treat as I close bedroom door. Then I proceed to come downstairs and hold Onyx and reassure her with treats also. Following this I feed Onyx, and go upstairs to feed the other two and refresh all water bowls. I am fortunate to have three bathrooms so the downstairs bathroom now has a cat box that Onyx started using right away. The other one is upstairs in my master bath. I remain downstairs with Onyx who has always been the most affectionate of the three and spend time with her as i do morning chores. I then go upstairs to clean cat box and then play with Michelle with the laser toy which she loves. Isabella is too smart to chase a light around but seems calm. After that I go back downstairs spend time, run out for errands, do yard work etc. Come inside sit with Onyx get caught up on mail and have a light meal. Around 3 - 5 pm I spend time in the bedroom "watching tv" which is just a ploy to act normal as they walk around - eat - drink and feel comforted having me there. I have 2 windows by the bed they can look out of and hopful that the chair might become a place to jump on etc. After a couple hours I put a nice screen saver on and come back down to spend time with Onyx. I might go out and do a few more things outside, or take a short ride somewhere. Have a late dinner. Go to bed around 11 pm and cycle through another day. I am actually scared to have them sniff the door again or even try to reintegrate. A fight is bad for everybody. They are seeming to adjust as it were. It is the hardest on me as I miss the old three is company life with my cats which I became accustomed to the last 11 years. Any ideas, support, comments are welcome. I love my "girls" and only want the best life for them no matter what it turns out to be. They are family. Thank you for being here. :hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Deffered aggression to reintegration can be a long process..I missed your first post, so perhaps you already answered the question, but did you take the aggressor to the vet? I would suggest some bloodwork including hyperthyroid.

Barring that it's simply regoing through the introduction process starting with scent swapping, and positive interactions without visuals (aka feeding on either side of a door and play perhaps with a toy under the door). Check out Jackson Galaxy's intro videos if you haven't already. Sight visits without play/food is the last thing on the list....but for some reason it's our go-to as cat parents for initial tests.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi and thank you for your reply and support. Yes clean bill of health for Onyx...yay. What happened was a stray cat was outside the patio and Onyx went into fight mode but could not get to stray so redirected to her siblings. Talked with Vet and read many articles and learned that this is classic redirected aggression. I am willing to go to any lengths to help my animals and keep them safe. Scent swapping? I think so since I spend time with both. I will read further on this! It is all new to me. I have had cats for nearly 50 years and never have had to deal with this. Lucky I guess and grateful too! I will check out this Jackson Galaxy videos thanks.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and thank you for your reply and support. Yes clean bill of health for Onyx...yay. What happened was a stray cat was outside the patio and Onyx went into fight mode but could not get to stray so redirected to her siblings. Talked with Vet and read many articles and learned that this is classic redirected aggression. I am willing to go to any lengths to help my animals and keep them safe. Scent swapping? I think so since I spend time with both. I will read further on this! It is all new to me. I have had cats for nearly 50 years and never have had to deal with this. Lucky I guess and grateful too! I will check out this Jackson Galaxy videos thanks.
It's a weird phenomena for sure! Had it happen when a neighbour's cat kept poking around our backyard. Nobel attacked our late cat Lily and when I pulled him off of her, he attacked me.
It was some time to reintegrate them...but we just acted like they were new cats we were introducing for the first time. A few months later they we back together though they never cuddled or played again.

You could, if you like, speak to your vet about temporary anxiety medication for Onyx. But I would really recommend contacting a local rescue to help you get the strays out of your yard. Reintegration is only going to go so far if Onyx hears more fights later.

Calming cat music with purring in it also helps. Good luck!

OhdearDeia!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi MsKat!😁🙋

Sadly and unfortunately as of Wednesday last, I too am experiencing exactly the same phenomenon myself with my two furbabies (you can see them in more harmonious times sat side by side on my kitchen chair in my profile picci) and all I have to say is that I now have a heart like a lead balloon because of it...

My two housecats Mags (she) and Harry (tom) have both been fixed, have lived extremely well with each other under my roof, cuddling up side by side in harmony etc, Maggs is approaching seven, Harry is now eleven.

I sometimes let them out in my rear garden which is enclosed, but always keep my eye on them. Unfortunately last Wednesday I had to take a phone call in my lounge, it was only a quick call and during that time I was horrified to hear screaming and growling cat sounds coming from my garden... I put down the phone quickly only to be met with my two cats coming in through the back door, 'all fluffed up' in fight mode with my little sweet she (Mags) dripping urine.

I raced out to see what had happened in my back and there, very sedately walking across my garden, was next door's tomcat completely unruffled by the whole experience!!!

Both of my cats were hissing and growling at eachother (okay so you've just had a fight!) I duly separated them with one cat going in a different room until I thought that they had both calmed down a bit in my now, I realise very misguided human opinion.🙄

I attempted to re-introduce them a bit later only for Harry to chase Mags all the way upstairs and corner her on the windowsill in my upstairs bedroom. Mags was absolutely terrified, growling and hissing and Harry took refuge under my bed - both cats adopted re-directed aggression tactics with me becoming completely unrecognisable and hissing and growling very menacingly at me every time I approached either one. The only way I was able to get my 'purpetraitor' tom (Harry) away from 'victim' Mags was with the aid of a water spray which really helped in getting them apart.

I have now moved one litter-box upstairs and left one downstairs, they also have various feeding bowls with them and catnip toys which hold both their scents on. Both cats are completely separated with no visual contact whatsoever as I understand that during this emotional recovery period, this is very important indeed. I am lucky in as much as I can separate them quite well, but I move them around the different areas of our house and garden so they can pick up eachother's scent and feel secure back in their home area.

Today I plan on bathing my cats just in case they still have any fear scents still attached to them after their ordeal.

I have read that what is needed is great, great patience and staying calm - although right now I could cry buckets, never having encountered this issue in all the years I have owned cats, I understand that the re-introduction process can take weeks to months.😭

I am however determined to succeed, but this has been a real curve-ball of a situation that has been thrown at me their Cat-Mom.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi MsKat!😁🙋

Sadly and unfortunately as of Wednesday last, I too am experiencing exactly the same phenomenon myself with my two furbabies (you can see them in more harmonious times sat side by side on my kitchen chair in my profile picci) and all I have to say is that I now have a heart like a lead balloon because of it...

My two housecats Mags (she) and Harry (tom) have both been fixed, have lived extremely well with each other under my roof, cuddling up side by side in harmony etc, Maggs is approaching seven, Harry is now eleven.

I sometimes let them out in my rear garden which is enclosed, but always keep my eye on them. Unfortunately last Wednesday I had to take a phone call in my lounge, it was only a quick call and during that time I was horrified to hear screaming and growling cat sounds coming from my garden... I put down the phone quickly only to be met with my two cats coming in through the back door, 'all fluffed up' in fight mode with my little sweet she (Mags) dripping urine.

I raced out to see what had happened in my back and there, very sedately walking across my garden, was next door's tomcat completely unruffled by the whole experience!!!

Both of my cats were hissing and growling at eachother (okay so you've just had a fight!) I duly separated them with one cat going in a different room until I thought that they had both calmed down a bit in my now, I realise very misguided human opinion.🙄

I attempted to re-introduce them a bit later only for Harry to chase Mags all the way upstairs and corner her on the windowsill in my upstairs bedroom. Mags was absolutely terrified, growling and hissing and Harry took refuge under my bed - both cats adopted re-directed aggression tactics with me becoming completely unrecognisable and hissing and growling very menacingly at me every time I approached either one. The only way I was able to get my 'purpetraitor' tom (Harry) away from 'victim' Mags was with the aid of a water spray which really helped in getting them apart.

I have now moved one litter-box upstairs and left one downstairs, they also have various feeding bowls with them and catnip toys which hold both their scents on. Both cats are completely separated with no visual contact whatsoever as I understand that during this emotional recovery period, this is very important indeed. I am lucky in as much as I can separate them quite well, but I move them around the different areas of our house and garden so they can pick up eachother's scent and feel secure back in their home area.

Today I plan on bathing my cats just in case they still have any fear scents still attached to them after their ordeal.

I have read that what is needed is great, great patience and staying calm - although right now I could cry buckets, never having encountered this issue in all the years I have owned cats, I understand that the re-introduction process can take weeks to months.😭

I am however determined to succeed, but this has been a real curve-ball of a situation that has been thrown at me their Cat-Mom.
If you haven't already, I wouldn't recommend bathing unless your cats enjoy baths. They are stressed, and then that's adding a bath as stress. Using a damp cloth or toothbrush and imitating some grooming will be fine.

Then you can start providing the others' scent and a treat after sniffing. It's okay if they have some fear scent because they should learn that the other is safe even when afraid.

I would not recommend anything that would increase stress at this time, IF it can be helped.

OhdearDeia!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you haven't already, I wouldn't recommend bathing unless your cats enjoy baths. They are stressed, and then that's adding a bath as stress. Using a damp cloth or toothbrush and imitating some grooming will be fine.

Then you can start providing the others' scent and a treat after sniffing. It's okay if they have some fear scent because they should learn that the other is safe even when afraid.

I would not recommend anything that would increase stress at this time, IF it can be helped.

OhdearDeia!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Alldara😁🙋

Thank you for your advice, this is what my daughter said about keeping stress down for both of them. I just bathed the tail area of my little she because she was pretty upset on wednesday and got in a bit of a mess, the bathing went fine, thankfully!

I am playing soothing classical music to them to get a good atmosphere in the house and the two cats are now living on different levels. Everytime my tom puts his ears back, or gets a weird look on his face, I get the toys out!🙄

I think that my little she is going to be the problem, because she is very, very timid indeed and very sensitive, I don't want to rush anything and I am quite willing to give it as long as it takes to get them back together.

I would honestly never have believed that this was even a remote possibility one week ago!😔 It feels like strange territory, like walking on the moon!🌙

Calmness and separation are the golden rule for a couple of weeks or so I think, I am swapping their toys and rooms so they will be familiar with their scents.

I will keep the water spray on standby (they are both pretty large cats) because I fear for my own safety as well as theirs. When you have two large screaming cats growling and hissing like 🐯fighting tigers🐯, it is the best way of separating them, otherwise you can't break them up!😱

If and when they do decide to be okay with one another, I will have to very careful indeed to ensure that this doesn't happen again. I dread taking either of them to the vets in future!😢😥

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Alldara😁🙋

Thank you for your advice, this is what my daughter said about keeping stress down for both of them. I just bathed the tail area of my little she because she was pretty upset on wednesday and got in a bit of a mess, the bathing went fine, thankfully!

I am playing soothing classical music to them to get a good atmosphere in the house and the two cats are now living on different levels. Everytime my tom puts his ears back, or gets a weird look on his face, I get the toys out!🙄

I think that my little she is going to be the problem, because she is very, very timid indeed and very sensitive, I don't want to rush anything and I am quite willing to give it as long as it takes to get them back together.

I would honestly never have believed that this was even a remote possibility one week ago!😔 It feels like strange territory, like walking on the moon!🌙

Calmness and separation are the golden rule for a couple of weeks or so I think, I am swapping their toys and rooms so they will be familiar with their scents.

I will keep the water spray on standby (they are both pretty large cats) because I fear for my own safety as well as theirs. When you have two large screaming cats growling and hissing like 🐯fighting tigers🐯, it is the best way of separating them, otherwise you can't break them up!😱

If and when they do decide to be okay with one another, I will have to very careful indeed to ensure that this doesn't happen again. I dread taking either of them to the vets in future!😢😥
I wish you all the best in this process. Keep patient and do your best. Follow the post here for introducing cats, or Jackson Galaxy's videos. Both are helpful :)

And I certainly don't recommend getting physically in between. I had to go to hospital for doing that when Nobel attacked our late Lily with deffered aggression. I got an infection in my arm from him digging his claws into me.

We ended up having to keep our curtain closed at the back until our neighbour moved and took her cat. It wasn't ideal, but it's what worked. He couldn't come out to the enclosed porch for some years. He doesn't have a problem with our other neighbors cat sitting outside on our porch, or sniffing her other cats through the fence...just that one free-range cat. He would hiss when he came to the door and everything would start up again. This is why I really recommend talking to your vet about potential anti-anxiety medication if the behaviour continues. And talking to a local Trap-Neuter-Return program if you have strays in the area.

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all who have contributed your experiences and ideas. I am starting week three. Interestingly the two ( Isabella and Michelle) who are upstairs in the master bedroom suite are coming into their own with much more personality. The one downstairs (Onyx) does not seem to "miss" the other two at all and is doing splendidly as an "only" cat. The only thing that is a problem is that she is not used to being left out of the bedroom at night. But truthfully she used to hog the bed and I sleep better wthout her laying on top of me all night. (Sorry Onyx :hearthrob: ) For now, I am doing one day at a time with the routine I described in splitting my time. The last attempts at reintroduction over several days into this were traumatic for all of us. I am afraid if I try again it will set everyone back to ground zero again. Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

P.S. I am swapping scents by petting the ones upstairs then coming downstairs and petting the other. Also give treats on both sides of the door. Established a routine for the day for all of them that I pretty much stick to.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My only advice is slow, slow, slow!
Once there is no hissing, puffing or signs of stress, move on to the next milestone. Next you can "swap stations". Put Onyx cat in the bathroom, let the other two out and then put Onyx in the bedroom. Let each explore. Provide treats or food.
Move them back before bedtime so that you get a good night sleep, because your sleep is important! Get them used to the other cats scenting up their area.

After that I moved on to a baby gate and play with sight...but that was skipping the feeding with sight stage (because Nobel will NEVER eat in front of another cat he doesn't trust). The skipping was a house-specific modification. You might need two gates stacked in the doorframe so that they can't access one another. They should be good and hungry.

Start with space between so they don't feel threatened for food. Think partial line of sight and slowly move closer as they get more comfortable. So just around the corner (back not to the other cats), and Onyx eats while seeing them. All of Onyx's wet meals preferably. But you might need to start with only one a day like this. You know your house best. Don't move Onyx closer to eat until she can eat all wet meals comfortably like this. Play some fun games like this, where you sit just in the neutral space, between Onyx and the gates. You okay with Onyx a bit and then you play with the other two a bit or each with a different hand.

Honestly you know your cats best...if more food focused use play first. If more okay focused use play first. But really wait for this stage until after the second level of scent swapping.

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My only advice is slow, slow, slow!
☝☝☝

It's a nerve-wracking situation, and that's the way to do it- slow.

Last time we had to reintroduce our cats, we skipped some steps it was a huge mistake and because of that it took us 3 though weeks. It took us some time and several attempts before we went back to square (complete separation) and started the introduction again, slowly.

One thing that worked well for us was playing a lot with the aggressor, to build her confidence.

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All, I would like to give an update on my three cats Onyx (Aggressor), Isabella and Michelle (Neutrals). So far we are still separated. I am splitting my time pretty well. I did try a couple more cracking the door and letting them see each other which resulted in hissing. I am continuing the Feliway and it seems to be helping. I also purchased a carpet sweeper so I can clean the floors upstairs without the loud motor running since they now cannot run anywhere to hide. I do my Yoga in that room now which I had been neglecting in general. I am moving slowly toward transitioning to my new lifestyle. I am getting to know the other two in a different way. They are so much more timid in general than Onyx. As for Onyx she is fine. Acting as she always has. I have blocked the patio doors with panels half way up so nobody can see prowling cats. I sleep in the bedroom so thats 7 hours straight and they are on the bed in the morning and we have treats and pets and I do the food and water and cat box. I try to get them to play. The one (Isabella) is too smart for both toys and laser light. The other one is able to be coaxed out to chase the light. I sit in my chair upstairs and read and so on. The biggest problem is me, I miss my "girls" hanging out and just being with me together. It is emotionally hard but getting easier because the safety and happiness of my three "girls" is the most important. Questions? Comments? Like I said after 11 years this is a hard transition mostly for this Cat Mom. :bigeyes::bluepaw::redheartpump:

OhdearDeia!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...and so (eventually) it (eventually🙄) came to pass... 🤷

Just a little progress report.

After two and a bit months, all my attempts at keeping my two (Harry - Tom, Maggs - She) separated eventually paid off and all I have to say is that it took a tremendous bit of fine-tuning and reading behavioural signs that appear to have paid off in the end.🙏

Do not lose patience, faith or heart. I tried all sort of techniques to get mine back together and at the end of August, after around ten weeks, they were re-introduced.

My Tomcat has slept upstairs with me for the past ten weeks, with his feedings bowls and litter tray in an adjoining bedroom.

When they were re-introduced there followed a period of "chirruping" at one another, sniffing and everything just settled down after that.

Now, Harry is now a lot more "on edge" when he in my back-garden with Maggs, Maggs seems to have "come into her own", to be a lot more stronger. I guess my Tom is waiting for another cat to come sailing along the top of the fence!🙀

By the end of ten weeks every morning when I rose, my two were either side of my lounge door in high anticipation, eager to see one-another.

I used to pick Harry up and take him in to the lounge so that Maggs could see him... This went on for a couple of weeks before I re-introduced them. I have to admit I was scared to death most of the time, but you have to hide your nerves really well and they key is to be positive around them and calm at all times.

You have to judge for how long your cats are willing to tolerate one-another and at first I did encounter huffy growls and the odd hiss!

This is a weird phenomenon and has made me exceptionally wary in future of what can happen when two house-cats can't vent their hostility on feline intruders, so vent it on eachother (and then poor us!)

If you're going through this right now, you are far from alone. It is a very strange territory to be in as a cat owner, but bear with and your patience will be rewarded in the end.
😻😻♥

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. It is now nearly 4 months of separation. I tried cracking the door to the room where the 2 victims live now and still get hissing from Onyx although she does not growl at them. They are OK but I am sad because I miss seeing these three old friends (12 y/o litter mates) now so estranged. I am adjusting. It is worse for the owner. Cats are resilient. If I had the money for a behaviorist to come in I would have to do that as the next step. I agree it is strange territory....like walking on the moon. Yes. Maybe someday life will return to normal. For now I am living the upstairs/downstairs life with my felines.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M MsKat if you can stack two babygates, I found personally more hissing through a cracked door where they couldnt see one another's body language very well. Even a single gate with some cardboard on-top is great while you are supervising.