Redirected aggression- cats seperate for months, any hope?

Jjgalaxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats. Oliver is at the center of this- he has a history of anxiety and self mutilation, but has improved over the years. He was previously on Prozac, but it did not seem to help him much. Last year Oliver had a bout of misdirected aggression toward another cat, Thor. They were separated and slowly brought back together and things seemed well. He later had another bad bout toward Thor, and at this point they have been living separated for at least five months. I know that with misdirected aggression they need to be brought back together very slowly, one stage at a time, starting with feeding them on opposite sides of a closed door. When that is going well, you can start moving forward in slow stages- but if Oliver smells Thor on the other side of the door, he will start trying to dig his way under it (he has *ruined* my carpets doing this.) He doesn't seem to be progressing at all so I can start other steps. On one occasion out of desperation I did let him into the room in a controlled way to see how he responded to actually seeing Thor, and he is still very, very fixated.

As the Prozac didn't seem to be helping, we started Oliver on Clomipramine, but that turned him into a zombie cat- he was sleeping all day and much less interactive and happy. We're currently trying it at a half dose, but it still seems to be having the same result. It also didn't improve the door digging to try and get at Thor. In good news, Oliver is still getting along with the other cat in the household, Stark (who also gets along with Thor). So I'm basically just rotating cats around every day so both Thor and Oliver get time in various rooms.

Is there any hope that Oliver and Thor can someday again coexist, or am I stuck just rotating them around forever? There is no doubt in my mind that right now if Oliver and Thor were to have a face to face meeting Oliver *would* attack him immediately and violently.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will they both not for example sit on the floor or couch together and have you pet or feed them? I think another slow into may be needed. Or at least once a day when you are interacting with them both. Also any strays in the yard they see?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did you also do scent swapping so that Oliver smells more like Thor? It might also be an idea to make Thor smell more like Stark too, since Oliver is OK with him. Using towels to rub on them each of them, or if you brush your cats you can scent swap that way.

Also, ask your vet about how long it might take for the larger dose of Clomipramine to get out of his system, if it is lingering still, then the lower dose could still look as if it is too much. Or, it might be necessary to lower the dosage yet again. Having a groggy cat coming off some sort of haze from a drug could aggravate Oliver and help to set him off on Thor.

I know it is a long time for there to be a health related issue going on with Thor that you aren't aware of, but one cat being ill can provoke a negative reaction from another cat. If there is any reason, health or otherwise (is he on any meds?) that his scent has changed? That could also be a trigger for Oliver. It would seem that even Thor's smell disturbs Oliver.

There is one scent related 'trick' members have mentioned on this site (I have never tried it), which is described in this link:
Ode to vanilla extract | TheCatSite

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a weird and very unusual situation, if nothing bad has happened for 5 months and he just keeps digging with bad intentions. Are you sure the digging is with hostile intent? Does it come with hissing or growling? "Fixated" is not necessarily a bad thing, and isn't the same as hostile intent. A cat could be fixated on a missing friend not seen for 5 months!

If the digging is in fact with hostile intent, and nothing bad has happened for 5 months...well, given the cat's history, my guess is that its a brain chemistry issue that will be fixed with meds, if at all. Still, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner certainly gave you some ideas worth trying. If its really scent based, lets try and change his scent to something comfortable and familiar.

Last edited: