Red spots in refrigerated food

Cremepuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

I've been trying to move my 2 cats away from kibble this week, and I've been using Tiki Cat Velvet mousse variety pack.. a bit new to all this.
I put a packet of Fortiflora and scoop of Lysine in with it and mixed well.
One cat loved it but the other wasn't very interested yet so I saran wrapped her bowl and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I noticed red specks, which became red streaks once I mixed the food again. Just wondering, is this because the fortiflora or lysine was exposed to air? Is this normal? The first day it was the chicken and tuna flavor, and the second I put the salmon flavor.. and it happened in both of them when I put them in the fridge. I believe I mixed it pretty thoroughly the day prior so I just thought it was strange. Can't find anything online because the results only come up with red in cat poop lol.
Here's a picture from today, only 1 red speck pictured because I think the rest got mixed in so they became tiny streaks and it was hard to get them on picture.

Attachments

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve noticed this before when using FortiFlora. I don’t know for certain, but my assumption is it could be from the beta carotene? I’ve Looked on their website and didn’t find anything. Maybe you could call their customer service and ask? This reminds me I wanted to check this with my vet before continuing to use it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I occasionally use FortiFlora and have never noticed it, but I don't use a whole packet at a time and usually don't store any uneaten food in the fridge overnight as it has set out enough hours during the day that I throw it out.

However, FortiFlora is a pretty miserable excuse for a probiotic if that is what you are using it for. It seems its primary 'benefit' is being a food enhancer. Stop using it and see what happens. There are tons of other probiotics that are more diverse and beneficial - even Proviable would be considered better from that standpoint.