Red, round, and hairless on my cats’ heels

Fursaflying

Fascinated with felines
Kitten
Purraise
Hello friends! Anybodys cats have this happen to their heels (is that the correct terminology for that cat body part?)? I’ve been putting a pet safe healing gel on it and it’s getting better. At first the areas were just bald but then one day out of the blue they became raw and hurt him, but after treating for a couple days he doesn’t seem painful there anymore. He’s a single, neutered, strictly indoor cat about 7 years old. I think the skin is healing up but I wanted to ask the question and take a pic and post.
1CBCFC69-169F-49C7-9C28-29913596ED0E.jpeg
442AF0CC-397F-4023-A333-473D1B54387F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal for that part of the leg to be somewhat bald because it's in always in direct contact with surfaces when a cat sits. It's like a pressure point. Picture of my cat's legs: Alopecia (hair loss) on haunches

Your cat's bald spots look red and irritated and aren't normal. I'd have a vet take a look at them. Something may be irritating your cat's skin: cat litter, food sensitivity, environmental allergy, etc.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The right rear leg looks more calloused. Does he sit somewhere that might be causing the hair loss? Is he licking the area? I agree that it would be best to contact your vet and get their opinion regarding medical treatment.