Red Blood In Diarrhea

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my fosters, a sweet, white, blue-eyed boy named Ghost (we named these six after the Game of Thrones wolves, as we had five greys and a white) has frequent (but not constant) diarrhea. It's got a bit of bright red blood in it. He isn't vomiting and still plays with the others. He had a bad case of worms when we took him in, which we got rid of, and he's had his second treatment for those. His appetite seems healthy. He acts otherwise completely fine. The diarrhea isn't mucousy or green, just kind of light brown. I know what coccidia smells like, and it doesn't smell like that.

Our vet is closed on weekends, so if the Panacur we have on hand doesn't work, we are taking them a fecal sample and getting to the bottom of this. I wanted to know if you had any thoughts on what may be afflicting this poor little guy.

We need to get him well ASAP, because he has an adopter who is very interested and has the perfect kind of home for him.

ShawnGremlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everything you are doing seems to be perfect. You can't rush recovery no matter how much you may want to. The kitten sounds like he is in good hands and that you know what you are doing. In my uneducated opinion, it sounds like some sort of internal parasite or maybe something as simple as hemorrhoids. Has his food been changed lately? Is his butt protruding at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No food change, but there is slight protrusion. The Giardia meds are a dewormer anyway, it if there may be a new clutch of worm eggs that somehow hatched, it'll kill two intestinal parasites with one stone.