Recurring scabs on cat’s forehead

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat seems to get these scabs on and off. She doesn’t seem concerned about it and neither am I am, really, but I can’t figure out what the cause is.
I have other cats and they “argue” sometimes but it’s pretty mild. She’s strictly indoors and I don’t see her scratching there vigorously.
Has anyone seen such a thing before?

Attachments

a028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has very sensitive skin that gets particularly dry every winter, especially since I moved to a drier area, so even if she's not scratching too much, she still always gets little scabs on her head like that. I would call her Hellboy lol. It might be the same case. I put more water bowls in the apartment for her to keep more hydrated, it seems to be helping. I got a humidifier a year ago but didn't make much difference tbh

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might be dry skin, it might be an allergy, or it could be a flea bite or two (they can come indoors on your clothing). The next vet visit talk to your vet about it and see what they think. For dry skin, research about it and maybe try out a vitamin supplement to help relieve it.

Not recommending this as I never used it but just as an example : NaturVet Skin and Coat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are the scabs only on her head, and just in front of the ears - is that what I am seeing? Could she have an accumulation of ear wax that might be bothering her and she paws/scratches because of it? If it is only off and on, it would seem more likely to be related to dry skin or some sort of environmental change that occurs periodically. If you have ever logged/recorded when it happens, and look at the time frames, that might give you a clue.

It is not a cure, but if she is actually scratching at something bothering her and is causing those scabs, you could give her some temporary relief by applying chamomile tea to the area. Buy standard grocery store brand chamomile tea bags, which are mostly German (you don't want English, and no additives/flavorings), brew one in water, cool the liquid and dab it on the scabs with cotton balls or a soft cloth, at least a couple of time a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat gets these too. From my conclusion (in her 16 years) is that she just has some environmental and seasonal sensitivities, like when the weather changes, dry skin, etc. It is only on her ears and forehead and never gets too bad. I have Apoquel on hand when she is really itchy but a couple days of that and she is fine.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thirteen used to get scabs like those from scratching herself. She had a chicken allergy and would scratch herself into a bloody mess. The scabs were in that same area, too, and also inside her ears.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat, Isabel, had the same exact thing. We spent months taking her to and from the vet trying to figure it out what to do. Eventually our current vet suggested a few things that actually worked.

1 - We started applying a thin coat of original neosporin to the spots.
2 - We started to bathe her with baby shampoo instead of any sort of specific cat products.
3 - We switched her to a grain free food and in all honesty I think she had some kind of food allergy because since being on the grain free diet, she has never had the issues with the bumps/scabs popping up again.

I mean, obviously I would 100% suggest talking to your vet before trying any of that as I'm not a Vet. But it couldn't hurt to bring it up to your vet and see if they think trying any of those is a good idea.