Recovering Cat

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think my cat had an upset stomach yesterday afternoon (meat loafing, lip licking, very warm to the touch, lethargic). He’s over it now... I think the culprit is the dry food that had been sitting out for too long...so I tossed that.

He normally gets 2 meals of wet food a day, but I would like to feed him something that is easier on the stomach over the next couple of days to help him recover fully...

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
How long did you leave the dry food out? It's unlikely that the dry food was the culprit of the symptoms you described. Although cat food that is left out for too long a period of time can become contaminated with bacteria it is less common in dry food because it is heavily processed. If he is still showing signs of meat loafing, lip licking, lethargy and overly warm to the touch I would recommend contacting your vet.

Here is an Article that may have some helpful information for you about leaving cat food out:
How Long Can You Safely Keep Cat Food Out For? – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long did you leave the dry food out? It's unlikely that the dry food was the culprit of the symptoms you described. Although cat food that is left out for too long a period of time can become contaminated with bacteria it is less common in dry food because it is heavily processed. If he is still showing signs of meat loafing, lip licking, lethargy and overly warm to the touch I would recommend contacting your vet.

Here is an Article that may have some helpful information for you about leaving cat food out:
How Long Can You Safely Keep Cat Food Out For? – TheCatSite Articles
I was going to bring him to the vet this morning, but it seems like he’s recovered. I tend to refill his food when it’s running low and sometimes it’s a little wet with his saliva...I was thinking maybe it molded or something? Recently the dry meal worms I opened for my chickens also grew mold, and it hadn’t been out for that long.

I’m only guessing it’s a stomach issue, because he went to the bathroom late last night (2amish) and seemed to do better afterwards.

I’m not 100% sure what it is, but if his symptoms show again, I’ll take him to the vet.
Just trying to figure out what best to feed him for now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you live in a high humidity area, I suppose you could have a mold issue. I do, and keep dry cat food (the ONLY thing that Miss Stubborn will touch) in airtight containers. However, you'd have to leave dry food out for a good long while for this to happen. I'd suggest emptying the kibbles out daily, just to be on the safe side. I don't think that was the problem, but it would take that worry off of your mind.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you live in a high humidity area, I suppose you could have a mold issue. I do, and keep dry cat food (the ONLY thing that Miss Stubborn will touch) in airtight containers. However, you'd have to leave dry food out for a good long while for this to happen. I'd suggest emptying the kibbles out daily, just to be on the safe side. I don't think that was the problem, but it would take that worry off of your mind.
He seems to be back to normal now, thank goodness. I'm going to make him some chicken broth tonight.
I free feed him and only try to fill as much as he will eat in one day, but he's unpredictable, sometimes he eats more, and sometimes he eats less. Will definitely empty and clean out his kibble bowl daily now, just in case...

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m only guessing it’s a stomach issue, because he went to the bathroom late last night (2amish) and seemed to do better afterwards.
was he constipated before? Constipation can also cause pain and nausea. But really so many different things can cause the symptoms you listed.

I mean you should clean the food bowl daily and put fresh food no matter what. But also keep an eye on his bowel movements.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
was he constipated before? Constipation can also cause pain and nausea. But really so many different things can cause the symptoms you listed.

I mean you should clean the food bowl daily and put fresh food no matter what. But also keep an eye on his bowel movements.
I'm not sure, he did go number two and it didn't seem out of the ordinary... but he buried it right away, so I couldn't really see it before the clumping litter clumped...

He's made a full recovery since. I'm glad it resolved when it did because I really can do without a vet bill right now. If nothing else happens, I'll see what the vet has to say at his yearly check up in 2 months.