Recommendations for water fountain?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two fountains upstairs, but downstairs I just have a bowl. Austin has a nasty habit of spilling the water from the bowl. Sometimes he does it, then stops for a while, then will do it again. I watched him today, he grabs the rim of the bowl in his teeth and pull on it, splashing water everywhere. I don't know why, unless it's entertainment. He didn't seem to be drinking any of it, except once to lick some water off his paw after he stepped in the puddle he made.

He likes to drink from the kitchen faucet, and sometimes will try to drink when I'm pouring water into the bowl. So my thinking is that maybe if I could find a fountain where the water comes out similar to a faucet, he might actually drink not try to spill it. I've seen one that looked promising, but it get mixed reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJMSBXZ/?tag=thecatsite
1597940844978.png

These are what I have already. He does drink from them, but I though maybe one where the water was easier to get at would be better. I definitely want him to keep drinking a lot of water because he had a UTI when we first met him at the rescue and trying to hopefully prevent that from happening again. Any recommendations are welcome!

1597941031854.png
1597941115122.png

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only brought the Catit a few weeks ago and its a big hit with my two cats, I thought I had wasted my money initially has they wouldn't go anywhere near it however after 3days its now the only thing they like to drink from. Can I ask how often you change the filter in yours?
Sorry I don't know about the other one you are looking at hopefully somebody will come along who's gone one of those.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have three older Drinkwell models but I can say that my cats like water that pours down as if from a spout like the Pioneer one does.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone from Canada is reading this and clicked on Bobsk8's Amazon link to the Cat Mate with prices between $26 and $33USD.....that link will automatically transfer you to Amazon.ca - where the same fountain has the one and only price of $79.99CDN.....with the currency exchange rate of about 24%, the Canadian Amazon folks are selling the same item for about $60USD...ABOUT TWICE THE PRICE !

Yes, you'll pay GST and some excise tax.........but, getting it from the US will still save you about 30% ! (there are words for those folks...unprintable words!)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've seen one that looked promising,
The Pioneer Pet Swan, in your top photo, is the only one out of four different style attempts that my Poppycat has accepted as his permanent method of drinking water. He's no longer getting on the kitchen counter, he doesn't even think about it.

It's easy to clean, works great, is quiet and I've found it only splashes when the neck needs to be cleaned. Use a Drain Millepede Hair Clog tool to clean the inside of the neck, and a Perfect Little Brush by Droll Yankee is a possible option to clean the motor housing and accompanying little pieces, you'll know when that needs attention because it will take a long time for the water flow to start up again after refilling. Othewise just wipe the inside of the bowl et al and change the water daily. Note that the filters are available on amazon in a three-pack total of 9 filters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Pioneer Pet Swan, in your top photo, is the only one out of four different style attempts that my Poppycat has accepted as his permanent method of drinking water. He's no longer getting on the kitchen counter, he doesn't even think about it.

It's easy to clean, works great, is quiet and I've found it only splashes when the neck needs to be cleaned. Use a Drain Millepede Hair Clog tool to clean the inside of the neck, and a Perfect Little Brush by Droll Yankee is a possible option to clean the motor housing and accompanying little pieces, you'll know when that needs attention because it will take a long time for the water flow to start up again after refilling. Othewise just wipe the inside of the bowl et al and change the water daily. Note that the filters are available on amazon in a three-pack total of 9 filters.
Thank you! I'm so happy to hear from someone who has actually used this one as it's the only one that comes closest to what I want to try for Austin. I do have some little brushes I use for the other fountains, so hopefully those will work, otherwise I'll check out your recommendations.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only brought the Catit a few weeks ago and its a big hit with my two cats, I thought I had wasted my money initially has they wouldn't go anywhere near it however after 3days its now the only thing they like to drink from. Can I ask how often you change the filter in yours?
Sorry I don't know about the other one you are looking at hopefully somebody will come along who's gone one of those.
Cricket drinks out of the Catit and Austin does once in a while.I have that one upstairs in our bedroom. I change the filter about once a month. And that reminds me I need to order another box pretty soon, I only have one left.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've used the Drinkwell multi tier for years, my cats love it. I recently switched to the Dogmate large because the 9 of them kept drinking the smaller fountain dry.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
otherwise I'll check out your recommendations.
by the way, I noticed a couple things - there is a way in the motor housing to adjust the intake so that the water flow is greater or less. There's a small sliding panel that has plus/minus symbols, use this to increase or restrict the flow. If you scroll further down on the amazon product page it has a photo and description of this.

Also, if it does happen to splash either when your cat is drinking or because the neck needs to be cleaned, and you or your cat find it a bit louder than preferred you can place a small glass upside down in the bowl which will disrupt the splash and silence it :)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
by the way, I noticed a couple things - there is a way in the motor housing to adjust the intake so that the water flow is greater or less. There's a small sliding panel that has plus/minus symbols, use this to increase or restrict the flow. If you scroll further down on the amazon product page it has a photo and description of this.

Also, if it does happen to splash either when your cat is drinking or because the neck needs to be cleaned, and you or your cat find it a bit louder than preferred you can place a small glass upside down in the bowl which will disrupt the splash and silence it :)
Thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind. I've ordered it and some extra filters.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah was TERRIFIED of the Catit. She wouldn't go near it, or her food bowl. The Catit was as tall as she was (she's only 7 pounds full grown). Even after I moved it, she wouldn't go near her food bowl. I had to put her bowl on her cat tree for a couple of days until she was sure it was gone.

This is the one we wound up with. She drinks from it just fine. It's more of a gentle flowing waterfall than an spouting fountain and it's not very cute, but if she likes and uses it I'm happy.

1598291955371.png

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Delilah was TERRIFIED of the Catit. She wouldn't go near it, or her food bowl. The Catit was as tall as she was (she's only 7 pounds full grown). Even after I moved it, she wouldn't go near her food bowl. I had to put her bowl on her cat tree for a couple of days until she was sure it was gone.

This is the one we wound up with. She drinks from it just fine. It's more of a gentle flowing waterfall than an spouting fountain and it's not very cute, but if she likes and uses it I'm happy.

View attachment 348311
This is interesting. I'll keep it mind if Austin doesn't like the one I got for him.

Brice53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Petsafe Drinkwell Platinum for my cats and its has been running perfectly fine for over three years now. It's pretty big but my cats would empty the smaller fountain I had before.

Dearjujubebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not the above water fountains. But I have one iPettie Tritone fountain. It works great. I need to clean the fountain every week, and change the filters 2-3 week. A good fountain does help cats stay away from diseases. I hope Austin stays healthy.