Recommendations For Pill Popper Aka Pill Gun And Syringe For Flea Meds

madana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking for recommendations for a syringe and bottle, and a pill popper, aka pill gun.

I am trying to care for 6 cats: 2 strays I've taken in over the last 2 years as "mine" and 4 more that aren't "owned" per se but I'm trying to do my best for. I'm on a limited budget and luckily have found a lady who does feral rescue and feeding who has in her network a properly licensed person to get meds. She is helping me out with Advantage and Drontal at cost.

The first time I got Revolution from her, I used some needle-less syringes I had on hand, and a cleaned and sanitize bottle (with a reducer top) from a prior cat prescription, and hoo boy, that didn't go as planned. I squeezed the liquid from the tube into the bottle, and then drew doses from the bottle. The plunger on my syringes did not move smoothly and I had to try to draw each dose multiple times, as I kept getting either not enough or too much for the dose. Then I ended up using a different syringe with slightly better action on it, but to use it I had to remove the reducer top...and ended up spilling a bunch of the medication when jarred by a cat.

As with many rescue folks, I'm trying to use the Plum colored Revolution for large dogs to treat these cats. Two cats are quite overweight and two are moderately overweight so even though the normal tube is for 8 average size cats, I end up using the whole thing (or almost) on these 6 cats.

Those of you also do this tube splitting, what is the best syringe and bottle combo I can buy that will make it easy to draw up the proper amount of liquid the first time? I'd love to hear from those of you who do this regularly what syringe would make my life easier.

I have not dosed the cats with Drontal yet but really, really need to as most if not all have worms. My issue is there are many pill poppers on Amazon, but several I've seen caution that the plastic top that holds the pill has shot off into a cat's mouth, and been swallowed!

What exact brand of pill popper do YOU use for a successful pilling of your cat? Drontal pills are not small - they are large and round.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, that should be Revolution, not Advantage.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t take care for ferals at the moment but whenever I need to pill one of my cats... my wife holds down the cat while I use one hand and make hook-like shapes with my fingers and my cats oper their mouths. Then I use my other hand to put the pill far enough in so they don’t spit it out (does happen though). Then close their mouth so they swallow.

After this I use any old left over medication syringe and shoot water down their throat using the same method.

madana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion, FelisCatus. Unfortunately I cannot count on my husband to help. He tends to like the "fun" bits with cats and not the hard bits, especially if it involves the possibility of claws or teeth. :p But I do appreciate it, and the water suggestion - I think not enough people know about that and "dry pill" their cat, which is a shame.

Surely someone must have a tool they use that they'd be happy to recommend?

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I use this one https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/well-and-good-easy-pill-dispenser-2461433 It is nothing fancy and is inexpensive. Maya is pretty good at kicking it out of her mouth with her tongue, but the pill popper makes it easier to try again. There's no way I'm sticking my fingers in her mouth. I can't believe people can actually do that with their pet!
What’s wrong with sticking fingers in our little kitty cats mouths? Are you worried about the germs or another reason?

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What’s wrong with sticking fingers in our little kitty cats mouths? Are you worried about the germs or another reason?
Oh no, not at all. There's just no way Maya would let me do that :) I'm amazed people are able to do it!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh no, not at all. There's just no way Maya would let me do that :) I'm amazed people are able to do it!
I do it out of necessity regardless of whether they like it or not. I tried pill poppers, treat pill cases and such, nothing helped.

Medicine isn’t supposed to taste good, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

(Sorry for derailing the thread).

Please check out the one mayabear mayabear uses at

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/well-and-good-easy-pill-dispenser-2461433

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I ordered this a couple weeks ago to give a deworming pill to my feral foster kitten. Cheap and works perfectly. The tip is a nice flexible/grippy rubber so it can hold pills of different sizes & shapes. And the "click" isn't very loud.
Jorgensen Pet Piller

madana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the recommendations on cat pillers.

Anyone working with ferals out there have suggestions for a syringe and bottle combo to use to split a tube of anti-flea meds?