Recommendation For High Protein, Low Phosphate Canned Food?

Ande

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Brand new to this site. Vet says my 17-year old is starting to show signs of kidney problems. While she didn't recommend a prescription diet, I have been researching new food for Bob and have found so many choices that I don't know where to begin. Before learning about his kidney issues I have been feeding him Core Hearty Cuts in Gravy for Indoor cats. Would appreciate any recommendations for high protein, low phosphate canned food.

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
A Ande I have been using this food list
http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

It’s a long read and lots of info but I was able to use Charlie’s fave-Fancy Feast and find the best of their choices. I am slowly switching him to prescription but that has come with constipation issues :censored:

Good luck and thank you for only wanting the best for your kitty :lovecat2:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's (usually, anyway!) another great resource: a canned food table on Tanya's site, which is all about CKD. The table isn't currently available but it's worth checking back again.

When our previous cat had mild kidney disease, I focused on foods with 1% (or, preferably, less, going over every now and again) phosphorus on a dry matter basis. Dry matter is the measure used on Tanya's site and it also used to be the measure on the catinfo.org charts that CaliCatCharlie linked to. Weruva makes a lot of foods that are fairly low in phosphorus -- Steak Frites is very low and we fed others, too, like Fowl Ball -- and though the calories are low, the protein is relatively high. I, too, sought out meat-based protein, and tried to keep carbs as low as possible. Our cat was also around 16 or 17 had lots of health problems so didn't have much of an appetite, meaning I fed some foods I wouldn't have otherwise, just to get her to eat.

Good luck, I hope you're able to find some good low-phosphorous foods that your cat will eat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ande

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Ande

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your good suggestions. My vet finally returned my email and approved three Weruva flavors. Tried one out on Bob mixed with his regular food last night and this morning and he gobbled it up. He's been hanging around his dish for hours looking for more...and I couldn't be happier.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your good suggestions. My vet finally returned my email and approved three Weruva flavors. Tried one out on Bob mixed with his regular food last night and this morning and he gobbled it up. He's been hanging around his dish for hours looking for more...and I couldn't be happier.
That's great! Both that your vet is supportive of your feeding commercial food and that your cat loved the Weruva. Fingers crossed that Bob continues to like it!

Ande

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I'm somewhat relieved. The vet did say that if Bob's next tests in April progress to elevated phosphorus levels, he may need a phosphate binder added to his diet or switch to a prescription renal diet. My fingers are crossed as well. Many thanks for your concern.

Attachments