Recommendation for Cats That Claw Carpet and Furniture

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just thought I would post something that might help other cat owners. A while back, I was having issues with a kitten tearing up my home. She was very destructive and did some damage to carpet and furniture.

I finally purchased two sided sticky tape from a pet store and put it in the areas she was damaging like carpet thresholds and sofa corners. I then found a vet who would apply claw covers to the front paws. (I took my own claw caps and they applied them. I could not do it because she wouldn't sit still for me.)

These two solutions, especially the caps, were a miracle. A cat who was a Dennis the Menace became a typical cat.

I have found one vet in the practice was "gifted" at putting them on and one was definitely not. What I mean by that is some really know how to do it and their skill can affect how long they stay on

i thought you might like to hear a claw success story and solutions that helped me

poppys mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nambour - Sunshine Coast Queensland, Australia
Hi there, Tinkerbeltink

I just read your post about claw covers, I have never heard of them and am currently google searching them as I type.  I have had trouble with this problem in the past with my moggy's clawing the furniture.  I got a couple of scratching posts and 'taught' hand over paw my cats how to scratch on the posts.  I also happened to have a pheremone spray I got from the vet when I moved house (this is to spray around the home so that my cat will feel more at ease) I sprayed this on the posts also and when my cats scratched the posts instead of the furniture I gave them lots of praise, which they accepted gracefully of course.  I also made a weak solution of Citronella oil, water and vegetable emulsifier in a small spray bottle and sprayed the furniture they used to like to scratch.  They stayed away from the furniture as they hate the smell of the citronella - I also use this spray in the garden around my pots and plants (although this needs to be re-applied in the garden especially often).

I just managed to find the claw covers.  They look awesome!  If my cat were strictly an indoor cat she would be wearing the glitter ones!

Hope my post above assists someone.

Cheers

Angie

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

I finally purchased two sided sticky tape from a pet store and put it in the areas she was damaging like carpet thresholds and sofa corners.
We never had too bad of a problem with scratching until we adopted Neely - she loved to use one particular sofa as her main scratching post.  A friend told me about the 2 sided sticky tape and it worked really well.  Neely has since passed away but I still keep the sticky tape on the sofa.  I guess in some way it makes me feel like she's still with me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PoppysMum-That's interesting about your spray. May have to look into that. Yea, the claw caps are great for totally indoor cats. If she went outside, she couldn't wear them. Thanks for mentioning that for other readers.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We never had too bad of a problem with scratching until we adopted Neely - she loved to use one particular sofa as her main scratching post.  A friend told me about the 2 sided sticky tape and it worked really well.  Neely has since passed away but I still keep the sticky tape on the sofa.  I guess in some way it makes me feel like she's still with me.

That's sweet.

jaylyne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The citronella spray sounds interesting. My cats just tore off the double sided tape and played with it before continuing to scratch the furniture =)