Recommendation for a kibble to entice underweight senior cat?

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She eats so little, and while she primarily eats wet food now and I am happy about that, she doesn’t eat enough, and I would like to have some kibble for her to snack on while I’m away from home. I’m desperate enough that I just looked up the ingredients of the Temptations food, which are as terrible as you would think. (She does greatly enjoy temptations treats.)

Is there anything else that tends to be irresistible to cats but is of better quality?

i have tried tons of wet foods and she will really only eat fancy feast and even that she isn’t too keen on anymore. I should get some fussy cat to try again as that is the only other thing she would eat reliably, but I’m a little wary of the carrageenan in that brand.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, you could obtain some forti flora and sprinkle that on kibble to help entice her. If they are making it the same way they used to, it includes animal digest which is nearly irresistible to most cats so it functions pretty well as a topper, although it is a weak probiotic.

A year or so ago I liked Halo, and one of the Blue Wilderness varieties.

You might also look into kitten food, either wet or dry, Fancy Feast's is usually a good one.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a few years ago Sweet Gum ate orijen dry, but she gained several pounds on it, so we switched. I don't know if the food is the same now, but what we got was made/packaged in Kentucky not Canada. Mars Corporation bought Champion pet food in 2022, if that matters to you.

here is the listing on Chewy. scroll down for the ingredients

ORIJEN Original Grain-Free Dry Cat Food, 4-lb bag, bundle of 2 - Chewy.com

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had good luck with Royal Canin kitten food for helping cats gain weight.

I'd also recommend Purina Pro plan for palatability. They did a longitudinal study in the last few years and changed their formulas to match.

What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

a lot of the cat food we consider "healthy" we actually don't know. You'll note even big names in the industry don't quote any research. That's because research for cat food for healthy cats is ongoing.