Recommend a small cat bed

maddismaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything my poor cat gets to use for a bed,(besides my couch) my jealous boxer will try to put his big butt into it. :not: So I can anyone recommend something small for her , they have had luck with? And as far as heated beds, I know my son had a snake that had a heat pad that kept them warm. It fit underneath the tank. I'm sure there have to be heated beads for cats. I think my cat is afraid of things that look like carriers that I use to take her to vet. Maybe that is the problem with most of them not liking the tunnel beds and igloo beds. Maddismaw

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are heated cat beds and mats
Just look for them on places like Amazon.com, Drs.FosterandSmith.com, etc. There are heated dog beds, too, so maybe your dog won't feel the need to use the cat's bed

Most cats will ignore any bed that you specifically buy for them
  My cats ignore their bed and prefer to sleep in boxes and on the cat tree. Once in awhile one of them will sleep in their cat hammock.

samsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought a big wicker basket for 3.00 at Good will and put a fleece blanket in it and my cats love it.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, both cats are allowed to sleep in our bed and one of them does all the time.  The other, prefers a small oval dog bed we put on one of the radiators.  It's got a huge picture window there and she just loves it.  I bet she spends easily 80% of her time up there!  When winter hits and the heat is on, the bed protects her from the direct heat and keeps her really toasty.

I got the dog bed at Homegoods and probably spent, maybe $10 on it. 

But like others have mentioned, cats will sleep where they want, not where you want.  Boxes, cat trees, window sills, floors, ottomans, chairs, etc.  It's a losing battle to think they will sleep where you expect they would like it better.  I do think they will gravitate to items which offer some amount of 'hiding" ability - which I suppose is why a box is so highly regarded by them 

Last edited:

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would recommend you experiment with boxes, a soft blanket, and little cat nip.  You can then cut a small round hole in the box large enough for the cat to enter, small enough the dog can't get his head in there.  does she have a favorite room you can put it in?  also, you can use wrapping paper to decorate the box so you don't just have an old box sitting there.

I would have recommended that you use her carrier, but you already said she hates that.  But do you leave it out or just get it out when its time for the vet?  Snowy is our deaf cat and she likes to sleep in her carrier because it offers her protection on three sides.  Prior to having Snowy like her carrier, we always just assumed our cats would never get used to them, but since Snowy likes it so much, we leave it out all the time, and none of the cats hate it... very useful for them to get used to and even find comfort in the carrier.

Snowy also has a cat bed she likes to sleep in, or she has a favorite spot on the back of one couch.  She is the first one that started sleeping there, but if the spot is empty, Tati or Theo will glady steal it to sleep in.  (We have two identical couches - but they will only sleep in one spot on one couch, they have worn a nice little bevel - reminds me of Sheldon on Big Bang Theory).  Tati likes to sleep  under my bed.  Theo likes to sleep under the couch.  Theo is the baby and he always finds a hiding spot to sleep.  Snowy, Theo and Buttercup all enjoy curling up at the end of the bed.  Cats will usually sleep in different spots to spread their scent around and throw off predators so I think the best advice is to see where and how your cat likes to sleep naturally and then try to enhance or build on what she already likes

Just out of curiosity... how does she feel about the dog?  I don't currently have a dog, but when I did, my cats and dog slept together, no problems.  When one of my cats wants to be alone, they send pretty direct signals to the others that they are not to be bothered.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

...When one of my cats wants to be alone, they send pretty direct signals to the others that they are not to be bothered.
Yea, a quick soft swat to the other cats head is a very definitive "Leave me alone now!" statement :D

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember one of my cats loved sleeping in a plastic blue bin full of junk, the only soft stuff in there was an old shirt and one of the foam fingers. He would just lay on top of the keyboard that I had on the top of all the junk. He did this until he figured out how nice and comfy my bed was. It also was in my closet where I had my winter jackets and that hanging, so it must of been warm and shady.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the recommendation of a box with a pillow and blanket. Here's our previous cat, by the fire. She loved this box, though she also loved her Petco donut bed. Our current cats really love their donut beds, too.