Recliner Chairs - Dangers?

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't want any recliners now simply because how they wear out... and DH plops down - he's already partially broken his computer chair from this. So I consider recliners a waste of money. I really want to get an oversized chair with a seperate foot rest, that way I have room for cats to snuggle up to me.
YEP! I agree. Too many mechanical things to go wrong with recliners. I'll take an oversized chair any day!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens over about the age of 4-5 months old can't fit under our reclining sofa anymore. We do use them on a very regular basis (the foot on each end goes up and down, etc) and all of our cats have stopped even going under there shortly after we get them. We do check before we put the foot down, though, where the cat is so he/she isn't squished. We've never had any problems or any accidents. You just have to be aware and cautious, but I think it is a bit of an overkill to forbid recliners from your home. Almost anything in your home, including YOU, can harm your pets, but no one is going to live in a completely empty house. Just pay attention.

humanegal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am here to find out about safe recliner use with a house full of animals. Any ideas ?? I can maybe suggest a few things. A strong mint or citrus cleaner sprayed often under recliner? Also, maybe buy Ssssssscat air deterrent. It's on Amazon. , refillable too. When there is motion (cat approaching under the recliner) it makes a loud hiss air sound & blows air that bothers and disturbs them. Just an idea.

jrsnyder101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got a double reclining loveseat, and our senior kitty has only been with us a short time....
I worry too.Francesca is still a bit skittish at times, and likes dark cozy places...
As I sit, and raise recliner, or the opposite, I do it real jumpy, bang my feet, and go slowly as well, jerky, and deliberately so she can dash!
The thought of her getting caught in there mortifies me!!

Last edited:

marlenejojo1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not just the foot rest that is dangerous. Just having a reclining chair period is a real and serious danger to pets. For those who are sensitive to sad pet stories don't read the rest of this post.

When I was a teenager we had a cat named Misty. She was one of those reclusive type cats that liked to spend most of her time alone, and always hung out in the basement. I used to use the bathroom down there, so I would walk by her sitting on the humidifier (it was a floor based machine and the top would get warm, kitties love warm so that's where she would be...usually). anyway I would pat her on the head every time I went down there. I remember one day not seeing her which was out of the ordinary, but through nothing of it. Cats sometimes change their routines around. It was a Thursday night, which was when my dad would go bowling. Every Thursday he would go in the basement because he had a tv and vcr down there, sit in the reclining chair and set it up to record one of his shows. It was never an issue before, but for some reason this Thursday our beloved kitty went missing. We looked all over the place for her, until to our horror my sister screamed for us to come down to the basement. I rushed down there, and she was on her knees at the back of the recliner pointing at our cats tail which was sticking out from the back. She screamed because when she reached under to grab Misty innocently thinking she was just hiding, noticed she was cold, stiff and clearly not alive. We couldn't pull her out because rigormortis had set in. So my dad turned the chair upside down, and we all got a very clear picture of what had happened. There are metal bars underneath a recliner, and Misty had probably either been napping under there, or heard a noise and hid. She was wedged half under one bar, and half over one big bar that went across the bottom from each side. When my dad sat in the chair to program his shows, the bars moved to compensate his position, crushing her. It was clear by the terrified expression on her face that she had  been squished and died a horrible death. I will never forget this. She was such a sweet and beloved cat, and to this day it breaks our hearts. The only reason I am typing this out to you guys is because before this happened, we had never once thought about something like this being possible. It never occurred to us that a recliner could kill our cat. Sure you think well they might get a pinch and yelp or something, but it is a way worse danger then that. Recliners are killers to pets, no matter how careful you want to believe you are. It is best to not have one, because no matter how well you train a pet, when they are sick or scared the first inclination they have is to hide, and this can happen to you. It sucks because they can be comfortable or convenient chairs, but I won't ever take the risk after what my family experienced.

marlenejojo1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not just the foot rest that is dangerous. Just having a reclining chair period is a real and serious danger to pets. For those who are sensitive to sad pet stories don't read the rest of this post.

When I was a teenager we had a cat named Misty. She was one of those reclusive type cats that liked to spend most of her time alone, and always hung out in the basement. I used to use the bathroom down there, so I would walk by her sitting on the humidifier (it was a floor based machine and the top would get warm, kitties love warm so that's where she would be...usually). anyway I would pat her on the head every time I went down there. I remember one day not seeing her which was out of the ordinary, but through nothing of it. Cats sometimes change their routines around. It was a Thursday night, which was when my dad would go bowling. Every Thursday he would go in the basement because he had a tv and vcr down there, sit in the reclining chair and set it up to record one of his shows. It was never an issue before, but for some reason this Thursday our beloved kitty went missing. We looked all over the place for her, until to our horror my sister screamed for us to come down to the basement. I rushed down there, and she was on her knees at the back of the recliner pointing at our cats tail which was sticking out from the back. She screamed because when she reached under to grab Misty innocently thinking she was just hiding, noticed she was cold, stiff and clearly not alive. We couldn't pull her out because rigormortis had set in. So my dad turned the chair upside down, and we all got a very clear picture of what had happened. There are metal bars underneath a recliner, and Misty had probably either been napping under there, or heard a noise and hid. She was wedged half under one bar, and half over one big bar that went across the bottom from each side. When my dad sat in the chair to program his shows, the bars moved to compensate his position, crushing her. It was clear by the terrified expression on her face that she had  been squished and died a horrible death. I will never forget this. She was such a sweet and beloved cat, and to this day it breaks our hearts. The only reason I am typing this out to you guys is because before this happened, we had never once thought about something like this being possible. It never occurred to us that a recliner could kill our cat. Sure you think well they might get a pinch and yelp or something, but it is a way worse danger then that. Recliners are killers to pets, no matter how careful you want to believe you are. It is best to not have one, because no matter how well you train a pet, when they are sick or scared the first inclination they have is to hide, and this can happen to you. It sucks because they can be comfortable or convenient chairs, but I won't ever take the risk after what my family experienced.

Agowen0626

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just curious what the owners of recliner chairs do to reduce the dangers of having a recliner chair in the room.

Anyone have experience with injuring your cat with a recliner chair?

I'm so concerned about our chair injuring one of our cats that I have to count cats before I operate the recliner. When people visit, I plan on jamming the recliner so no one can actually use the chair, or stuff pillows or a box under the chair so the cat can't get under it.

Since we have this issue - I just wondered what others may be doing to prevent injury to your furbabies.
g
So yesterday I reclined my chair(electric) and my kitty was under it her tail got stuck in the bars I was freaking out I called animal control and they helped take the couch apart. But it was beyond scary always be careful

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate recliners. I stuffed books under the back of ours so the cats can't get under it. I'm always worried when somebody uses it. I prefer the old type of chairs with the separate foot stool. Fun fact: my mom's chiropractor told her that recliners are actually bad for the back! Smart guy...

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg, I didn't even know this thread existed! Before we got our current cat, my DH was in a phase of wishing for a recliner. I kept having these nightmares of a new kitten getting stuck in there, and luckily, the topic of recliners has faded away. If he ever brings it up again, I'm showing him this thread!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a recliner and Huxley doesn't like to go all the way underneath it, but he likes to lie under the footrest when it is up. I didn't realize this until one day I stood up and the poor thing got somewhat caught by it. He did not get hurt, thank goodness, but shot out from underneath it at the speed of light! He continues to go under it though so was not scared by it whatsoever. The only difference is that I am aware of it now and always carefully lower the seat down so that he has time to safely move out of the way. Luckily he generally is on my lap when I am on the chair.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've seen my cats sitting under the footrest when somebody's using the recliner. It always gives me a heart attack every single time. They like it because it's like a little house under there for them. Thankfully nobody uses it much anymore.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are definite dangers for cats and kittens. A recliner in a nursing home I worked at came down and the mechanism underneath killed a small kitten, the elderly person couldn't move fast enough to get the chair back up in time to save the kitten. I have been very leary of them since. Blocking the back would do no good, they can get under the chair when the footrest is up.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I blocked the back so that they couldn't get under it near the gears. I can't really block the front. I just ask everybody not to use the front foot rest. I'm thinking of buying a foot stool for it.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Reader Discretion is Advised!

I did know a guy who had a cat, and his cat climbed in under the recliner while the leg rest was up. He didn't know the cat was in there and he put it back down. Immediately he heard snapping and crunching noises, and knew the cat was dead. He had to pull his dead cat out from inside the recliner and its body had been broken from being stuck in all the machinery inside the recliner. It was an accident of course, but very sad.

That was a guy my mom worked with. So I won't get a recliner. I don't like them anyway.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*shudder*
I know this is an old thread, but I sleep in a recliner, so it's a daily thing for me.
I think each cat has to learn that it's not a good place to be! Early on after we got our orange cat Sunny, he decided to get under the chair. I didn't know, laid down to sleep (with the legs up), and felt movement under my bum. He was smooshed (but UNHURT) under me, but my weight in the chair cut off his escape route! It was horrifying to realize what *could* have happened. I had to have my husband help me lift up a bit so Sunny could get out. And he never went back under, so he learned his lesson!!
Now we also have a wonderful big dumb kitty named Moose (I have posted about his sweet dumbness before lol), and he daily goes under the recliner. It's so awful. I thump the sides and shout to scare him out every single time, but he continues to go under every chance he gets. I truly think he can't remember the day before and what happens every time! No one else cares to go under, except for poor Moosie. So I just have to watch like a hawk and hope for the best.

I wonder if you could spray some kind of natural essential oils under there that could repel them? Like a citrus or something? I have no idea; just a passing thought.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
So yesterday I reclined my chair(electric) and my kitty was under it her tail got stuck in the bars I was freaking out I called animal control and they helped take the couch apart. But it was beyond scary always be careful
Oh your poor kitty, any damage to tail bones?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
*shudder*
I know this is an old thread, but I sleep in a recliner, so it's a daily thing for me.
I think each cat has to learn that it's not a good place to be! Early on after we got our orange cat Sunny, he decided to get under the chair. I didn't know, laid down to sleep (with the legs up), and felt movement under my bum. He was smooshed (but UNHURT) under me, but my weight in the chair cut off his escape route! It was horrifying to realize what *could* have happened. I had to have my husband help me lift up a bit so Sunny could get out. And he never went back under, so he learned his lesson!!
Now we also have a wonderful big dumb kitty named Moose (I have posted about his sweet dumbness before lol), and he daily goes under the recliner. It's so awful. I thump the sides and shout to scare him out every single time, but he continues to go under every chance he gets. I truly think he can't remember the day before and what happens every time! No one else cares to go under, except for poor Moosie. So I just have to watch like a hawk and hope for the best.

I wonder if you could spray some kind of natural essential oils under there that could repel them? Like a citrus or something? I have no idea; just a passing thought.
Is Sunny staying away from the chair now?