your cat community
Interact with our community

Recipes - Soups, Stews, And Sauces

Kat0121

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Reaction score
Love Hungarian goulash. I use a cup of red wine in the mix with some tomato paste and a mixture of sweet and smoked paprika (Penzey) to coat the meat prior to browning. I have turned to braising in the oven when I'm home and have time. I think the meat is more tender with braising.

Our quick goulash is made with ground beef and pasta. It's an old standby around here.
Is that what they call American goulash?

American Goulash - Recipe - Cooks.com

Look at what I found on Amazon. The best of all worlds.

www.amazon.com/Chiquilin-Mild-Smoked-Spanish-Paprika/dp/B00S5AD96E/ref=sr_1_10_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1545024232&sr=8-10&keywords=paprika&th=1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

TCS Member
Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, that's American goulash. And it's quite tasty, too. I usually put it all together and then bake it in the oven. Leftovers are yummy.

Once you've tried smoked paprika, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it. A lot of times, when I'm using paprika, I'll use half Hungarian Sweet and half smoked. I also have Sharp Paprika, also from Penzey. But most often it's the sweet and smoked. Yum

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Staff Member
Reaction score
I've never tried smoked paprika; usually I use sharp paprika. I stock up on the sweet and sharp stuff when we're in Hungary.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
I'm foaming at the mouth, and I've just eaten a big bowl of gumbo and rice.

Gonna have to get back in the kitchen and experiment some more.

GHOULASH X . . . . .

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
Mexican Mother-in-Law stew

I got this from a friend in the palm society, who's an Anglo Gringo who lives in TJ with his Mexican wife, and her mother, who's from Jalisco state. This is different from most of the food we here in El Norte think of as Mexican food. It has a "dark" subtle taste, as opposed to the "brighter" bolder flavors of "typical" Mexican food. I like to serve this at potlucks because it lends itself to various presentations, as noted below, and keeps well.

INGREDIENTS

3 pounds of pork stew meat, tough stuff removed, cut into 1" cubes
1 - 2 pounds of Chile poblano, aka Chile pasilla (those big, giant vinyl-covered-looking chiles in Mexican markets) (pictured below)
1 large onion, white or red are best, or you can also use about a pound of those "fat bottomed" Mexican green onions (not to be confused with gringo scallions)
powdered black pepper
powdered clove
powdered cumin
salt to taste

PROCEDURE

If you can, use a cast iron pot or big skillet, and brown the pork till it's nice and brown; do it in batches if you have to, removing batches from pan to brown the next batch.

Roast the chiles on an open flame (I do it on the stove burners) till each side is a bit blackened and blistered, at which point you put them in a plastic bag or similar container to steam. After they've steamed a bit (they get limp) remove the charred skin in some water. If you like heat, pull out the stems and chop up the whole thing, seeds and all; if you don't like heat, remove as many of the seeds and their attachment stems as you can.

Fire up your blender or food processor and cut up the onion, the charred/chopped chiles and place in it and grind it into this green glop, adding as much water as you have to in order to get it to grind.

Add salt to the green glop

Add spices to the green glop: NOTE OF CAUTION: the combo of peppers and spices amplify each other a bit, especially black pepper powder. Use maybe half a teaspoon of each, and you can add more another time if you want to.

Put the browned pork and green glop from the blender into the skillet and cook until the excess liquid is gone and you have dark green chunks of meat. This takes a while, but it's worth it, because it tenderizes the meat and causes any excess connective tissue to dissolve.

Great with rice or plain boiled potatoes or flat bread.

Or . . . you can also impale the chunks of meat with those fancy-toothpick thingies and serve them as appetizers.

Will freeze and refrigerate well.

NOTES

You can sub beef or veal for the pork, though I think pork is still best.

You can add garlic to the green-glop-to-be in the blender to taste.

You can also add a jalapeno or serrano chile (not many) if you want a bit more heat.