Recipes from your Region??

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Got this idea from the Fried Green Tomatoes thread..
I love to cook, especially different things...

Can any of you share recipes specific to your region or heritage?

Sunnicat already gave me a great recipe for white gravy and biscuits...
I would love one for N'awlins Gumbo or anything Creole if anyone has one...

Bring em on...

boys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i live in london,so other than the east end of londons eels or pie mash n liqor (which is a closely garded secret apaerntly.
we have food from all over the world here im afraid. but my favorite is battered cod and chips (fries)

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're going to think I've lost it, but there is an open faced sandwich that you will only find in central Illinois. It's called a horseshoe. (stop laughing now) You can't get it anywhere but here, because they will look at you as if you have three heads on your shoulders. Even in Chicago.

It consists of layers....two pieces of toast on a plate, the meat of your choice (hamburger is most popular here, but I prefer turkey), french fries, then smother it all in a cheese sauce. The cheese sauce is usually the secret to a good horseshoe. There is only one place in Springfield that I can say I would take a visitor to try one, as my Australian friend can attest to from her visit last Christmas. That's D'Arcy's Pint. They have a buffalo chicken horseshoe that is to die for.

We won't talk about calories, either. Shhh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, never heard of "eels" pie mash...
My family are all emigrated Brits so I grew up eating English..Toad in the whole, fish and chips and mushy peas, marmite on toast, sunday fry ups, etc, etc, etc...

I still love it at times, though alot of its not good for you. The English love their fried things...(though my mum quit eating fried bread a lonnnng time ago
)

My cousin is sending me over a care package as we type...Twiglets top my list and you can't get them here!! But I do have a container of Bisto Chip Shop Curry Sauce in my cupboard from her last visit ..

Anyone else???

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunnicat

You're going to think I've lost it, but there is an open faced sandwich that you will only find in central Illinois. It's called a horseshoe. (stop laughing now) You can't get it anywhere but here, because they will look at you as if you have three heads on your shoulders. Even in Chicago.

It consists of layers....two pieces of toast on a plate, the meat of your choice (hamburger is most popular here, but I prefer turkey), french fries, then smother it all in a cheese sauce. The cheese sauce is usually the secret to a good horseshoe. There is only one place in Springfield that I can say I would take a visitor to try one, as my Australian friend can attest to from her visit last Christmas. That's D'Arcy's Pint. They have a buffalo chicken horseshoe that is to die for.

Ooh..Sounds delish..Though the fries go on top of the sandwich? That sounds sort of like a "chip buddy" in England which is a fry sandwich.. I think they are icky, but my brother loves em...But I love the cheese sauce and meat on toast idea..Yummmmmm.. I have been to Chicago but never to other parts of Illinois..Maybe I will ask around if we go through there on our way to N'awlins this fall!

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunnicat

That sounds yummy!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm trying to think of what we have in this area......

Clam boil, clam cakes, Boston baked beans.....

serenasmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A popular recipe in my family, and in Saskatchewan in general, is the Saskatoon-berry Pie. For those who aren't familiar with saskatoons, they're smaller than blueberries and purple-ish in colour. They have more of a tart taste. They're not as sweet as blueberries, but put them in a pie, or make jam with them, and they're amazing!!
Now if I could only find the recipe.....

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've lived several places with some pretty different kinds of foods:
Florida is of course famous for our seafood, what with the ocean being right there and all!
Then, I lived in Upstate NY...can't think of any really distinct regional foods there but I sure do miss NY Style pizza!!
Now I live in Chicago, land of the deep dish.
Also, there is a big Polish population where I live in Chicago, so there's always a couple different kinds of pierogies in the grocery store.

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As much as I want to move away from Trenton, NJ.. I don't know if I'd be able to survive without the pizza. lol Another thing only from around here -- porkroll.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How adorable is that??? We get that brand in our stores here too. But I have never bought it. I like matzoh wafers just plain though too..
If I ever learn to make it, I will send you some
Though it may get cold in the post

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SerenasMommy

A popular recipe in my family, and in Saskatchewan in general, is the Saskatoon-berry Pie. For those who aren't familiar with saskatoons, they're smaller than blueberries and purple-ish in colour. They have more of a tart taste. They're not as sweet as blueberries, but put them in a pie, or make jam with them, and they're amazing!!
Now if I could only find the recipe.....
Funny, cuz I used to live in Saskatoon and have had much jam and pies..They are good, yes
and not so sweet. I like that.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by OllyExtra05

Well, I've lived several places with some pretty different kinds of foods:
Florida is of course famous for our seafood, what with the ocean being right there and all!
Then, I lived in Upstate NY...can't think of any really distinct regional foods there but I sure do miss NY Style pizza!!
Now I live in Chicago, land of the deep dish.
Also, there is a big Polish population where I live in Chicago, so there's always a couple different kinds of pierogies in the grocery store.
I never even had deep dish when I was there..Silly me, I know.
Its just like a pie right? with a ton of filling?

What is the difference between NY style pizza and others?
Also, anyone from New York ever gone to that place based on the Soup Nazi in Seinfeld? My dad sent me the supposedly identical Mulligawtawny recipe from there, but I haven't tried it...It has a ton of
ingredients though..

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only things I can think of that are really popular around here are beer battered fish and of course more beer to drink!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can attest to the horseshoe sandwiches. I grew up in central and southern Illinois and they're awesome! I make them occasionally for a treat, and my Chicago-born hubby just LOVES them. (Though the first time he did look at me like I had two, maybe three, heads.
) We call them pony sandwiches, though. They're my ultimate comfort food.

I like them best with ham, and use only one slice of bread, then put the meat on top. Then, yes, you pile the fries right on top of the toast. Then smother the whole thing in cheese sauce. The secret is to make a somewhat thick and really creamy cheese sauce. I make mine with Velveeta and cheddar cheese, a little butter, and evaporated milk.

I know it sounds totally crazy, but just try it sometime!

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

I never even had deep dish when I was there..Silly me, I know.
Its just like a pie right? with a ton of filling?

What is the difference between NY style pizza and others?
Also, anyone from New York ever gone to that place based on the Soup Nazi in Seinfeld? My dad sent me the supposedly identical Mulligawtawny recipe from there, but I haven't tried it...It has a ton of
ingredients though..
Well, there's three kinds of pizza in this town:
Deep-Dish: a Flaky, almost pie-like crust topped with lots of cheese, chunky tomato sauce, and toppings of your choice. Takes about an hour to bake it and one slice is a meal, as far as I'm concerned. The arguments about which restaurant makes the best deep dish are as heated as Cubs Vs the White Sox.

Stuffed Crust--Very similar to deep dish, but with a second crust on top--like a double crust pie, therefore increasing the loosen-the-belt factor

Thin Crust: Cracker thin crust, cut in squares with cheese, sauce and toppings. I don't particularly care for it...but oh well

NY Style Pizza is the triangular sliced, medium-thin crust, foldable slices kind of pizza, with a puffy, chewy crust around the edge. The stuff I dream about at night. Sigh. We've found a NY Style pizza place near us that delivers, and it will quell the cravings, but its just not as good as our favorite place from when we lived in NY. Heck, there are even pizza places in my hometown in FL that have better, more authentic NY Style pizza.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in germany everyone makes "metbrotchen"
Its actually good if you go to certain stores especially butchers because its soo fresh!
Its grinded raw pork meat, and you add onions