Recently Spayed

ZeeR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there,
So my cat (2 years old) got spayed today at around 11 am. Since after she got home she's been fine. Before I brought her home the lady at the clinic got me very scared and anxious. She kept saying that don't do this or that the cat might pop her stiches or get an infection etc.
I tend to become anxious very easily. My cat normally sleeps on top of a bookshelf and she gets there by jumping from our couch.

Its been 10ish hours since her operation. And just a bit ago she jumped on top of the shelf and slept. Needless to say I'm frightened..

She has a cone and she is not on painkillers.

Is that safe? I don't want her to hurt. The jump distance is maybe 4ish feet?

Thank you

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I very distinctly remember when my Kitty was spayed (15 years ago now), I was a wreck because of all the warnings the vet tech gave me. Kitty was a crazy kitten, ran the apartment like a maniac (she was on pain meds), I lived in fear. I am so traumatized from it I vowed to never own a female pet again, and I haven't.

Since your cat is not on pain meds, I would say she won't do anything beyond her physical capabilities. Try not to worry too much, she'll be okay. My hellion was fine. They're tougher than we give them credit for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZeeR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.. That makes me less scared.. She just came over to my room to sleep next to me. I love her to bits but this spaying business has made me an anxious wreck..

ZeeR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, we've kept the cone on her since she came home yesterday (in fear of her licking her stitches) but someone said its best to not have a cone on to allow the cat to clean herself. And I read the medication today before giving her the first dose. It says pain and inflamation?

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pain and Inflammation makes sense. She just had major abdominal surgery her little body is healing. Spaying is a safe surgery, trust your vet, they've done this thousands of times. Don't skip the pain meds, cats in pain don't eat and she needs to eat to heal. It's okay, sounds like she's doing wonderfully, you're a good parent.

As for the cone, I'm not sure, maybe someone else can answer.

ZeeR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again! We've decided to remove her cone tomorrow. Since it'll be 2 and a half days. I might not be able to handle a female cat after this.
Here is some before and after for her declining level of excitement
View media item 419358View media item 419359

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol

Poor dear. I remember Kitty and her cone. She would press it against the wall and just stare at the wall inside her cone, it was funny and sad all at the same time. She was obsessed with walls after that, her whole life. Even dug holes in walls.

My vet doesn't recommend cones. They have VetMedWear, which is like a baby sleeper, that covers incision sites to prevent licking.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I think your baby is very cute and pretty. I have owned females all my life. It's a major surgery yes-BUT-many cats do well. I wouldn't worry too much about the jumping=as long as it's not repetitive jumping.
Yes give the meds as directed. You can also try a newborn onsie instead of the cone to keep her from licking the wound. Just keep eye on wound-make sure no red and puffy areas-I think it will be ok. The cone just protects her from licking-my girl would NOT tolerate the cone-it was a very stressful 3 days after her surgery-we slept in the master bedroom and kept her in that room-I do recall how stressed all of us were...totally understand..These cats are way tougher than we give credit for. If she's jumping to her spot-then she's feeling well is how I view it-and if she's sleeping for abit that's even better for her.

ZeeR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again everyone! Its been a week since her surgery. And my god. It was a very hectic one. We've been removing her cone for an hour or so a day so she can clean herself.
She does keep going at her incision, I suppose it must be itchy so we plan to keep the cone on till it closes up fully.

I came home today and my sister said her scar looks weird to her.. And now its gotten me a little scared as well. If anyone has any clue about how they should appear and if that one looks fine, I'd appreciate it.

She's not complaining about any pains, she's eating and everything. No pain meds. And she sat down on my lap and got scratches just a while ago too.

ZeeR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh thank you, I didn't know the option was there
20170627_173906.jpg

ZeeR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no odor. And no it wasn't warm to touch yesterday either. She didn't complain about the area being touched either (I assumed she would react if it is infected)

So that is just blood clot right? I was getting worried by the look of it.. Thank you

She tends to go at her wound randomly when she's cleaning herself (which she would normally do) but nothing excessive

ZeeR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh shes right nice! My previous cat used to get real mad about being pet on her back even. This one essentially doesn't mind it at all. Lucky she trusts me that much really :) And thank you!

Yeah my vet doesn't do pictures, the lady told me I should book a check up appointment if I'm concerned and I was worried if something might be up that needed immediate attention

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
oh geeze I don't think it needs a vet but if it's not too much money you can have them look at it.

My girl Honeybee will shred me If I even wiggle the tickle finger at her to get her tumtum. She HATES her tummy rubbed but if she's sitting in my arms, paws on my shoulder-I usually have the bf tickle her tummy and she tolerates it-the vet also kisses her fuzzy belly but nope if I do it=she claws me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks good to me, I think they used glue and the outer part is wearing off. After 8 days, that's normal. She should be just about healed now, for the most part. Of course it takes a while for the tissues to fully heal, but at this point you shouldn't have to worry about anything opening. Looking good, don't stress! I've had a ton of cats spayed and they do just fine. Complications are rare.

Casey.daun4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my cat was fixed, they suggested I keep her from running, jumping, pretty much anything cats do. It was nearly impossible. I confined her to one room to limit the jumping & running but I couldn't stop it completely. She did okay. The incision did get a little red but I kept her on the pain meds. No bleeding or opened stitches.