Recently adopted cat wants to go outside!

Jen Condit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi al, I am seeking advice. I adopted a 2 year old female kitty about 6 months ago. She was a pregnant stray that is now fixed. The weather has recently turned nice and she is begging to go outside. I feel terrible for her but don't want her to go out..I am not in a good area to have a cat roam free (plus I agreed with the shelter that I would never let her out). I have windows open, she has plenty of views and sunshine, numerous cat trees AND I play with her for at least 2 hours a day! Is there anything I can do from deter her from meowing at the door?! I tried putting a collar and leash on her to go out and it didn't work well. I also got some calming spray. Should I try a harness or would that make it worse>

Should I just ignore her meowing? Any advice is appreciated.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking cats for a walk may be a nice thing, but it won't stop the cat wanting to go out on its own. Same with building a catio. The only thing you can do to stop the cat from whining about going outside, is to ignore the cat crying at the door for as long as it takes (might be a few weeks). Be careful not to allow escapes or the cat will keep trying.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If it is possible for you to build or buy a cat enclosure/catio, I would do that (see article link below about these types of structures). In most cases, catios that are set up so that a cat can access it from a window tunnel/door flap, that usually will satisfy their desire to go outside.

I would also suggest you see if you can determine if a stray/neighbor cat is coming around your place and intriguing you cat to want to go outside. Strays can be trapped by a local rescue center so they can be checked out, spayed/neutered if applicable, and set up for adoption. If it is neighbor cat, you would need to talk with them about possible solutions. If the neighboring cat is hanging around in a specific area outside your home, there are ways to deter them from coming so close and triggering your cat to want to go outside. If that should be the case let us know and we can come up with some suggestions for you.

If none of that applies, and there is a specific location within your home that she goes to when wanting outside, you could consider blocking that particular view, to help reduce the desire.

Catios: Everything You Need To Know - Catio World

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Catio are great but there is definitely nothing wrong and a lot to be said for ignoring her cries and keeping her indoors. It might take weeks but she can have a wonderful full life as an indoor only cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jen Condit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. If it is possible for you to build or buy a cat enclosure/catio, I would do that (see article link below about these types of structures). In most cases, catios that are set up so that a cat can access it from a window tunnel/door flap, that usually will satisfy their desire to go outside.

I would also suggest you see if you can determine if a stray/neighbor cat is coming around your place and intriguing you cat to want to go outside. Strays can be trapped by a local rescue center so they can be checked out, spayed/neutered if applicable, and set up for adoption. If it is neighbor cat, you would need to talk with them about possible solutions. If the neighboring cat is hanging around in a specific area outside your home, there are ways to deter them from coming so close and triggering your cat to want to go outside. If that should be the case let us know and we can come up with some suggestions for you.

If none of that applies, and there is a specific location within your home that she goes to when wanting outside, you could consider blocking that particular view, to help reduce the desire.

Catios: Everything You Need To Know - Catio World
We do have new neighbors two houses down that let their cat roam outside. Maybe this is part of the issue!! I will speak to them...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do have new neighbors two houses down that let their cat roam outside. Maybe this is part of the issue!! I will speak to them...
Wildlife could definitely be part of the issue, but I doubt its another cat. With a spayed/neutered cat, seeing/smelling a bunny or bird is much more likely to get them excited to go out. With visiting cats, I've generally only seen aggression or fear. A cat wandering around in your yard can definitely be a big deal, but in a negative way -- most spayed/neutered cats dont view it as a positive lets-go-play thing. You would likely be able to tell the difference pretty easily.

Jen Condit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wildlife could definitely be part of the issue, but I doubt its another cat. With a spayed/neutered cat, seeing/smelling a bunny or bird is much more likely to get them excited to go out. With visiting cats, I've generally only seen aggression or fear. A cat wandering around in your yard can definitely be a big deal, but in a negative way -- most spayed/neutered cats dont view it as a positive lets-go-play thing. You would likely be able to tell the difference pretty easily.
She is used to seeing birds and squirrels out the window, loves to watch them. I'm wondering if she has seen something new..a bunny is a good suggestion...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The two ferals I brought in about 6 weeks ago after a life outside of about two years wanted to go out at first. They still would like to, but understand that it is not being offered as an option. We have to watch the doors, but they don't really make much of an attempt to escape any more. I have always had luck with just ignoring the requests to go out and over time they do comply. If your area is unsafe, and most outdoor areas are with few exceptions, that is the answer.

Jen Condit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The two ferals I brought in about 6 weeks ago after a life outside of about two years wanted to go out at first. They still would like to, but understand that it is not being offered as an option. We have to watch the doors, but they don't really make much of an attempt to escape any more. I have always had luck with just ignoring the requests to go out and over time they do comply. If your area is unsafe, and most outdoor areas are with few exceptions, that is the answer.
Thank you for the advice. I am going to try ignoring her and keep my fingers crossed!!!

Dian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you notice any change of behavior when they finally gave up begging at the door? I adopted a 5 year old cat and found out after I adopted him that he used to be an indoor/outdoor cat. For the first month he begged and scratched at the door. We mainly ignored him. He finally stopped but then his behavior changed. He is no longer affectionate with us and seems angry or bored. He won’t engage with any type of playtime except the laser light- we have tried every other toy.
I am afraid a catio won’t satisfy his need to be outdoors and I was warned that a harness may make it worse and start the begging all over again- and all the time.
Any advice is appreciated. I’m hoping to get my sweet cat back.