Recently Adopted 3yr Old

Nixiiie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! I'm new here so i'm not sure if i'm in the right spot but i'm hoping I am! Me and my fiance recently moved out into our first apartment with our 8 year old girl bella. We've been living there for about 7 months now and we felt it was time to adopt another kitty. Bella was before living with 2 other cats so she's always been around other cats. So we went and adopted a boy named Jude(3 yrs old) - hes a sweet boy totally good with us, loving except for the occasional outbursts but that's understanding hes new to us. Just an FYI for more details: we live in a one bedroom apartment, with a big closet that's about the size of a bedroom and a bathroom.

We made the closet Judes designated room for when he moved in. Two litter boxes, food water, you name it. The problem is we took the intro slow and didn't introduce them until two weeks in - which I know is fast for some but the problem was he kept escaping every time we'd go in to see him, so we eventually have been letting him out gradually to see the house. At first everything was going okay - he kept his space from our resident cat and she kept her space. During the day we keep him back in the closet but we've formatted a baby gate system up to the top so he can see through and she can see through, so they're not -totally- separated. Bella recently came down with a cold ( we're seeing our vet for this FYI and shes on medicine ) which Jude passed along to her, since she's been feeling more down he's lost his personal space boundaries. He tends to go in her face, no growling, no hissing, spitting, ears down, nothing that would assume aggressive behavior. But she's not having it, shes the one who growls and gets upset but won't move away. He seems to seek her out almost like he's hunting her.

We've tried to keep him entertained with his favorite toys and get rid of some of that energy but it's only working so well.

Anyone have any ideas? should we keep them separated till she feels better? I just feel awful cause he meows and it breaks my heart :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO, Judes is doing just fine, no signs of aggression. Actually, Belle isn't doing badly. She is growling, but not attacking, and is NOT moving away, so she isn't fearful. She was the Original Resident Cat, and I'm betting that she is just letting this Upstart Newcomer know what his place in the pecking order is going to be, and he seems to be respecting that. For now, once this cold is under control, let them continue to interact whenever you are there to keep an eye on things. And don't be too quick to jump in. They're going to have to have some fairly harsh discussions, but so long as there is no fur flying and no blood on the floor, they are doing very well on their own. Now, if one becomes an actual target for the other, with stalking, chasing and hiding, we'll need to revisit this, but so far, so good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nixiiie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome! Thanks so much for this. I think we often forget how bad things COULD be going and automatically assume that this is the worst ever. Before Bella got sick things were going pretty okay so once she gets better I'm sure we'll be on the road to happier days. Thanks so much! Your response totally soothed me :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nixiiie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise