Recent Unblock For Kitty, Endless Torment For Human

Kathrine Breunig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3.5 year old male, castrated Russian blue had complete blockage a week ago. He stayed two days at the vet and it has been a long 6 days. For the first couple of days he ate but wasn't drinking water. He stopped eating mid week so the vet prescribed some appetite increasing pills. I have found a little success but not as much as I'd like. He refused to eat the s/o canned food but still eats his normal dry food. I've tried watering the wet food down, mixing it with the dry and even bought a can of tuna. No luck. Today is the first day without pain meds and he is twitching in the stomach region. He is usually very vocal about pain so I'm pretty worried about what it means. He's peeing and pooping regularly. Any advice for this first cat momma? I love my baby and we almost lost him...i would hate to see all this money and care go to waste....but mostly I'd be devastated to lose my best friend. Any stories about male cat uti unblock aftercare would be greatly appreciated.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting him onto ANY canned food(urinary or not) is going to be better than regular dry even if you can't get him to eat SO. CD is also an option*comes in dry or canned* but it's not as strong as SO, but there are over the counter urinary formulas from other companies.
Tommy was very easy, but we didn't do prescription food. He ended up dropping kibble and going to Nature's Variety Instinct duck cans. Then Nature's Variety Instinct raw chicken medallions. Then homemade raw with ground rabbit and chopped turkey. He did reblock but the food is successful in lowering his pH. Between November and February it went from 8 to 7. I put cranberry relief in his food now after his surgery since he has this FLUTD issue with his bladder.
It's stressful. I will always be monitoring him. Every time he goes pee I have to listen.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 3.5 year old male, castrated Russian blue had complete blockage a week ago. He stayed two days at the vet and it has been a long 6 days. For the first couple of days he ate but wasn't drinking water. He stopped eating mid week so the vet prescribed some appetite increasing pills. I have found a little success but not as much as I'd like. He refused to eat the s/o canned food but still eats his normal dry food. I've tried watering the wet food down, mixing it with the dry and even bought a can of tuna. No luck. Today is the first day without pain meds and he is twitching in the stomach region. He is usually very vocal about pain so I'm pretty worried about what it means. He's peeing and pooping regularly. Any advice for this first cat momma? I love my baby and we almost lost him...i would hate to see all this money and care go to waste....but mostly I'd be devastated to lose my best friend. Any stories about male cat uti unblock aftercare would be greatly appreciated.
As my Vet said, "Any WET is better than any dry". That being said, my UTI/crystals cats never liked the S/O wet, BUT they did like the S/O dry...even the "normal" cats. Since your cat will eat dry, ask your Vet for a trial of S/O dry while you try to switch him over to all wet. Of all the prescription urinary wet foods, my cats preferred the Purina ProPlan UR. They actually enjoyed it, especially when the can (5.5oz) is freshly opened. Maybe your Vet could give you a couple cans to try. The other wet food they enjoy (non-prescription) is Purina ProPlan Focus Urinary Tract Health Formula with Salmon. It comes in 3 oz cans.

The other thing you can do to increase water consumption is get them an elevated water bowl. My cats just love theirs from www.classycatdishes.com. They all have elevated food bowls also from this source which helps them eat more.

Denise Solari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ive read so many comments about wet food for urinary tract infections that say no tuna...im so confused we just spent 1300 on our cat, we almost lost him! I cant afford to spend that kind of money again...He HATES CD FOOD, so i think ill try him on Fancy Feast pate and add some water for moisture. what are your thoughts? I dis buy him a waterfall water bowl and he likes it.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To D Denise Solari : What does your Vet say? Have you discussed Fancy Feast pate with your Vet? Did your Vet suggest any other options other than CD? As I posted above, of all the prescription urinary wet foods, my problem cats preferred the Purina Pro Plan UR wet. Most Vets carry this. You may want to ask your Vet about this food.

Your Vet is the best one to determine the degree of prescription food your cats needs depending upon severity of its condition. Some urinary problematic cats require ONLY prescription wet food or they block up. Some can tolerate limited amounts of non prescription food. Your Vet can best advise.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
you can try canned Fancy Feast non fish flavors. Personally I don't believe the hype about fish but that's my opinion. The best food is one a cat will EAT. My elderly girl lived on Tuna for her almost 18 years. Luckily she actually liked turkey flavored fancy feast Pate style. I used to mash it with a fork and add a can of water to it. Make it like a slurry. She loved it. I think everything in moderation.
Right now my 14 yr old female calico will NOT eat ANY wet food other than tuna. So for the past 5 years to get her miralax into her I have to make tuna mush-one can is 3-4 servings. I water it down and mash with fork-she loves it. She licks the juice and leaves the meat. My young 6 yr old Honeybee laps the meat up after pumps is done with it.

You can try a few cans of kitten canned food too. Also slow transition to wet food. I never had success with wet food. I even cut back the amount of dry food and nope they went on a starving party. Just do the best you can.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to mention about water. It is good you bought your cat a waterfall water bowl and he likes it. You should provide water without taste or minerals. If you have hard water or get your tap water from a municipal water source supply, you should run your water through a purifier. We have well water (high mineral content) so I buy Penta Ultra-purified water for use in their elevated water bowls and refreshed daily.

You have to get rid of minerals which make the water more alkaline. This is not good for cats prone to urinary problems. Their urine needs to be kept more on the neutral or acidic side to prevent problems. Also, water needs to be as pure and free of "off smells and tastes" as possible to keep them drinking freely and often.