recent hospital stay

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So my cat was laying in one place all day on Sunday, I noticed this late afternoon. This is not normal, she usually follows me around & is near me. I knew she didn't feel well so I offered her some kibble, she ate a little. Monday am she went back to the chair she was at on Sunday. I was gone running some errands & when I came back she was in the same place. Mon night I wasn't sure if she had eaten so I put a little bit of canned chicken down & sprinkled with raw rabbit. She ate part of it. I offered her some kibble, she ate a little. On Tuesday, I didn't notice her eating at all so I decided to take her to the doctor. I called about 5 places, no one could get her in soon, so I decided to go to the hospital. I know if cats don't eat within a certain time frame they can develop fatty liver. I took her there & they took her in the back, checked her vitals & put her in a kennel. I was there for 3 1/2 hrs. I asked where I was in line & it was going to be another 3 hours before the doctor could look at her. I took her home. I offered her kibble, cat grass, raw, canned, even tried Fortiflora - she wasn't interested in any of it. Tues night is when I started putting food into her mouth. Weds am I got into the hospital, they looked her over & decided bloodwork, an abdominal ultrasound, fluids & anti nausea medicine was needed. She did all that. The ultrasound showed the small intestine was inflamed. They think she either ate something bad or her food is giving her a reaction (IBD).

They told me to give it about a day, that's how long all the stuff takes to go through her body & hopefully she will want to eat & it's just a one time occurrence. No pain meds, no anti inflammatory. My cat went into the hospital sick & came out sick over $1000 later. I got a couple cans of the A/D food & she hates it. I opened up a jar of chicken baby food, put a little coconut oil in it & a probiotic & fed that to her last night. Weds am. She seems more alert but isn't interested in food still. I got a little bit of the A/D food, put a little coconut oil in it & the probiotic, got a few little bits into her mouth when she took off. Now she's under the bed. I'm going to call vets when they open.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I'm so sorry, this is so frustrating 😞

Try the baby food without the coconut oil, maybe she'll like that better. I don't have any helpful thoughts otherwise, or try some of the other options you mentioned above to try and entice her to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very pleased to say she ate! I cried. She started following me around, so I thought I would try some kibble. She ate like 3 pieces. Then I took a couple pieces of Feline Natural Chicken & Lamb Feast & she ate those. I don't want to over do it but I'm just hoping this continues.
I'm going to keep giving her the concoction that I whipped up, I have some Nutramax Proviable coming today so I will add in some of that as well. I would much rather try to ween her off kibble then have to syringe feed, so at least it's a step in the right direction.