Rebuilding Confidence On The Harness

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. So I've been doing a little harness training, but slacked off during the winter. Just starting to get out now on warm days, but we've had a little hiccup. My one kitty is suddenly very nervous outside. I took him out one evening and he got a little jumpy, but I didn't think it was a big deal. He sniffed the ground, got nervous and jumped, but kept exploring. He sniffed at some trees and his hair stood on end, so I tried to reassure him and then brought him inside. There wasn't anything out there that could have spooked him, so I don't know what set him on edge. He's normally cautious but tries to be very brave, so while he may quickly get out of the way, he will come back to explore.

Last few days were chilly, so we didn't go out until the other day. He was not confident and while he'd explore a little, kept going back to the door. I tried again today and he was still nervous, and really kept his tail tucked to him. I tried treats but he had no interest. He loves looking out the window and enjoying the sights and smells. He used to enjoy exploring for a few minutes at a time until recently.

I may try to entice him with a wand next time, but does anyone have any ideas to help him get his confidence back? We've only stayed to the yard and go out when there's not much going on. I don't know what got him scared, or how I can help him feel brave again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It sounds like he could have been smelling a dog, or other cat, or some other animal maybe?
I think just continue trying, but if he still keeps his tail tucked after several attempts it may be that he simply doesn't want to explore. If this happens you could wait a few weeks and try again later :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! It sounds like he could have been smelling a dog, or other cat, or some other animal maybe?
I think just continue trying, but if he still keeps his tail tucked after several attempts it may be that he simply doesn't want to explore. If this happens you could wait a few weeks and try again later :)
Possibly, although the tree line is well within my property so people shouldn't be letting their dogs over there. I did just learn about a group of stray cats that are in the neighborhood a few roads over. I haven't seen any cats in my yard lately, but I'm wondering if they passed by?

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you might be right about either the cats or raccoons possibly.
Do you think he'll get over it?? I feel like these kittens are overly sensitive and one unpleasant experience makes them nope right out.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He might, with gentleness, patience, and consistency on your part of not forcing him (you're so good at reading his body language), talking to him with encouraging words (which will make your voice sound warm and happy in a very natural way) and him repeatedly seeing that there aren't any bad things out there even if his nose detects a smell that might seem scary.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he will get over it. if he hasn't been out for a while, he probably just needs to re-familiarize himself with his territory. Sometimes I don't have time to take my cat out for a week or two, and I've noticed that for the first two days he prefers to hang out closer to the house, and if I continue to take him out after that, he will venture out a bit further with each progressive day. Good luck!

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Went outside today with the kitties, and I have determined that I know absolutely nothing about cats.

So Simon, the one I was talking about lacking confidence, was still unsure. He would walk away from the house, back to the door, and away again. He can be skiddish but tries to be very brave, and is actually the more confident of the two in most situations. I don't know if he was trying to explore and chickening out, or if he was just really nervous and pacing. I do feel like, after observing him, that he is over stimulated being outside and may just need to get used to it. I used the wand toy, and he would engage and catch it, but nothing like the fierce killing moves he does inside. Challenges today were seeing a quad go by, twice, which he didn't like but I was able to hold him close and keep him under control. The quad didn't seem to have much impact good or bad, but then again he did spook at nothing a few weeks ago which is what got him nervous to begin with. His very first trips outside were exciting to him, so I'm a little bummed out that he's so scared now.

Funky starts off with having no idea what he should be afraid of. Where Simon is wary, Funky is oblivious. However, after one incident with my aunt coming over to do work in the house, he went from being totally ok with strangers to absolutely petrified. He will hide for hours after people are long gone. People he met prior to that incident, he's totally fine with. Somehow he knows who is at the door, so he's not nervous there. He's not used to the harness, but forgets it outside as he is totally absorbed. His challenges today were a car passing by, which he didn't care about (and he's not easy to hold), and the neighbor's small dog. Now, my aunt had brought her 2 labs over (stayed on the porch) and I assumed that was the most likely cause of his freak out (and/ or her being a loud person). This scaredy cat actually WALKS UP to the neighbors dog (behind a fence) and goes to check her out. He gets fairly close and just watches until he decided to hiss. I did pick him up then, and got scratched in the process, but I carried him away only a few feet and let him continue. He goes back to exploring the yard, tail up, and occasionally looking back at the dog like he wanted to go for a round 2.

I don't even know how to feel about any of this. Little bummed at the extra challenges today, wishing Simon made better progress, happy that Funky seems ok but skeptical that he won't decide to be traumatized the next time around. I'm also wondering if he'll still be scared of strangers if he sees one outside, or if it's just a conditional thing. All I know is, I have weird cats and I apparently know nothing about them.