Reasonable Mark Up?

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just picked up medicine for my boys cough at the doctor. I went online to see if he should take it with food and found out it was $.12 a pill. I paid $55 for 12 pills from my vets office. I had already paid 500.00 is X-rays and blood work to determine how serious his cough was. I love him and I would pay more to keep him healthy and I am in a position to be able to afford it but that last bit really irks me. It's like a 15 times mark up is that reasonable? Should I ask tomorrow if they charge me the wrong thing?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could ask but it isn't uncommon that vets mark up the medications. Either because they don't order in large enough quantities to get the same prices as human pharmacies or because of some compound they have added to change the taste.

Personally, I would just chalk it up to a learning experience and in the future ask for a prescription instead of having the vet fill it. Then you can take it to a pharmacy for the lower cost or call back the vet to fill it if you don't find lower.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is the name of the medicine? If it's a Human medicine used off label for pets, you can buy it at any pharmacy with a written prescription from the vet. It it's a veterinary only medicine, some online pet pharmacies may have it for a more reasonable price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is the name of the medicine? If it's a Human medicine used off label for pets, you can buy it at any pharmacy with a written prescription from the vet. It it's a veterinary only medicine, some online pet pharmacies may have it for a more reasonable price.
The price I got was from pet rx and it was disal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually the generic for disal and a bottle of 500 is less than what I paid.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a good relationship with your vet you might casually mention this to him/her.