Reason I am here

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are my life. I know that sounds silly but it's true. I lost my Fluffy in 2021, then Boudicca and Oliver in 2023. I found out in January my Marshall has cancer and I know he's 15, but I'm not ready to let him go. He's peeing in bad places and it smells and I just keep cleaning. He's still getting in his favorite high spot but he won't sleep with me anymore. I think he's mad about the vet visits and the pills. I got a new kitten in February. I thought that would help him because he's always welcomed new additions. He tolerates her. I think he's more sick than I know. With Oliver, within a week of getting his diagnosis the treatment didn't work and he was in agent. So I had to take him to the emergency vet and have him put down. How do I know with Marshall??? Other than the peeing and behavior he seems okay.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, even though it isn't for a great reason. What kind of cancer does Marshall have? Is he receiving any kind of treatment?

Is it possible that Marshall's change in behavior and the peeing have to do with the new kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Marshall has intestinal cancer. He was getting sick and, uh, misbehaving. So I took him January 2nd. They did the biopsy a week later. He poops in the box but he's in the habit of peeing in my office and last week in the dining room. It started before the kitten. He also pees on the microwave and on the table. Lol. He peed on my tax documents. My other cat that had cancer last year had very similar behavior. I just keep cleaning.

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, even though it isn't for a great reason. What kind of cancer does Marshall have? Is he receiving any kind of treatment?

Is it possible that Marshall's change in behavior and the peeing have to do with the new kitten?
He was getting steroid pills and chemo pills. He was fine the first couple weeks then started refusing and tearing me up. So the vet gave him a shot that lasts 3 weeks for the steroid. But I still have to give him the chemo every 48 hours.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure that inappropriate peeing is a common effect from intestinal cancer, But excessive drinking and peeing can be side effects from steroids. And, the injection version might cause it even more so. I am guessing the peeing issue has more to do with the steroids than the cancer. Intestinal cancer is usually thought to be slow in progression, although it can vary from cat to cat. Changes in behavior are also fairly common with steroids.

I'd talk to your vet about what is happening and see what they say. Maybe a lower dose going forward would be more appropriate for Marshall.

There are belly bands male cats can wear to catch their urine without impeding their ability to use the litter box for pooping. Most of these are made for dogs, but some of the smaller ones will fit certain cats. It won't stop the inappropriate peeing, but would certainly go a long way in preventing so much clean up.

You also need to discuss with the vet what to expect should the steroids and chemo not put Marshall into remission - but they often can and do. All cats vary in what happens to them, and there is no one size fits all set of issues that happen as a cat's cancer progresses.

I have a 19+yo cat, with multiple health conditions as well as intestinal lymphoma. We elected not to give her chemo, and the oncologist was against her taking steroids due to her other medical issues. Being blunt, I was told the odds are one of her other conditions will likely be her demise long before the cancer would.

I am sorry for all your losses. I hope you can find a solution for Marshall and that he can go into remission.

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. My vet said there is no cure, just prolonging his life and quality of his life. I don't want him to hate me when he goes. I'm happy you've had her so long. They really are such a blessing. He goes back in 2 weeks to assess. He lost another pound last time. He was always a big cat. Almost 20 pounds. Last time we went he was a little over 13. Thank you again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Remission is not a cure either, as I tend to think the cancer recurs at some point. But, yes, treatment for cats is to help slow down the progression rather than try to eradicate it.

A lot of cats who are on steroids and chemo are also taking anti-nausea meds and an appetite stimulant. I know the steroids are supposed to help with appetite, but as I said all cats are so different. Just something else to talk to the vet about, in case it could help with his weight loss.