Really bad kitty diarrhea

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat (5 months) usually eats dry kibble. Lately she’s been getting bored of it so i’ve been adding the SLIGHTEST bit of canned cat food to it just so she’ll eat (she’s pretty skinny as is). I normally add 1/3 tsp to 3/4 cup kibble. She is usually given canned cat food as treats so the food is nothing new to her.

The problem is whenever I add it to the kibble, she gets HORRIBLE diarrhea. I’d say it’s something of cottage cheese consistency and is a light greenish yellow color. When she uses the bathroom normally, her feces barely smell and you can hardly tell she did anything. Just a few minutes ago, however, she went in her litter box and stank up the whole second floor of my house. I live with my parents and my brothers so I was pretty embarrassed that they were forced to suffer through that.

Any advice? Thank you. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you tried adding some KMR? It could help add some calories, and is the wet food labeled for Kittens? Try some other brands, this might help, scroll down the page to get to the list;
CatFoodDB's Best Kitten Foods

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is the wet food labeled for Kittens?
No it is not. Does it need to be? I am a first time cat owner so I am not fully aware of everything required for a cat. What is the difference between canned cat food and canned kitten food?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does it need to be?
I believe in your baby's case yes.
Sometimes an All Life Stages food can work for older kittens but in this case it sounds to me as though she needs the Kitten food.

Kitten food has a higher nutritional value, more vitamins and minerals, and is also formulated to have higher calories. The ratio of proteins and fats is higher than in adult cat food, which is really important for the incredible amount of growth that's going on in every aspect of kitten's bodies.

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has your kitten been tested for intestinal parasites?
Unfortunately, no. I adopted her during quarantine and haven’t been able to take her to the vet. I don’t think I could afford a trip to the vet anyway. Are there any noticeable symptoms?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, no. I adopted her during quarantine and haven’t been able to take her to the vet. I don’t think I could afford a trip to the vet anyway. Are there any noticeable symptoms?
I always get so confused when people post this. I understand vets can be expensive but vet care is not really a pick and choose kind of thing. I'm not saying to financially ruin your life but if taking an animal to the vet is going to impact you that much, I probably wouldn't choose to take on that sort of responsibility.

I hope it can be resolved .

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat (5 months) usually eats dry kibble. Lately she’s been getting bored of it so i’ve been adding the SLIGHTEST bit of canned cat food to it just so she’ll eat (she’s pretty skinny as is). I normally add 1/3 tsp to 3/4 cup kibble. She is usually given canned cat food as treats so the food is nothing new to her.

The problem is whenever I add it to the kibble, she gets HORRIBLE diarrhea.
What brand of canned food are you feeding? It may not be agreeing with the cat's tummy. Try feeding a different brand. A 5 month old can eat food that is labeled as "for all life stages" as well as "kitten" food.

A low cost vet may be an option. The local SPCA or rescue, etc may have info on their web site on affordable low cost vet care.

Petsmart's Banfield chain of vet hospitals offer a free first exam but that's all it is: a quick listen to the heart and lungs and overall body condition. Treatments, diagnostics, medication, etc all cost extra. I think the VCA chain is also like this.

I always get so confused when people post this. I understand vets can be expensive but vet care is not really a pick and choose kind of thing. I'm not saying to financially ruin your life but if taking an animal to the vet is going to impact you that much, I probably wouldn't choose to take on that sort of responsibility.
I agree. Vet care is part of owing a pet and something many people don't take into account when acquiring a pet.

Lunathecatsowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No it is not. Does it need to be? I am a first time cat owner so I am not fully aware of everything required for a cat. What is the difference between canned cat food and canned kitten food?
Oh no food not labelled as kitten food is adult food she’s probably just feeling sick from the taste of big kitty food. Just start giving her kitten food instead

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Symptoms can be a dull coat, loss of appetite, coughing, mucousy or bloody feces, pale mucous membranes, a potbellied appearance or vomiting or diarrhea.
Thank you so much for your help. She only seems to have the diarrhea symptom. I’m trying to purchase kitten food for her but the stores near me are out of stock. Her fur is very shiny and smooth, she’s yet to lose her appetite, and none of the other mentioned symptoms are there. Thank you again. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Covid and the year 2020 are such a mess. I know adoptions have been down in many areas and locations, and I'm glad your little sweetie has you.

Are you able to go online/have supplies delivered? Tractor Supply, Chewy, Amazon and Petco and Petsmart and even walmart are some possible sources.

To help offset the diarrhea causing any dehydration, see if she might like one of these recipes;

What To Feed - Kitten Rescue