Really bad dandruff

snowey415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Snowey has really bad dandruff on her back. She has had this for over a year. I haven't taken her to a vet for a few reasons. One this doesn't seem to bother her. Two we don't have the money to take her. I am unable to work because I am ill. I bought her some cat dandruff shampoo and use it the other day on her. It doesn't seem to be helping. I am going to give her another bath soon using that shampoo. For her being 15 years old she is a very healthy cat. What should I do to help her get rid of the dandruff?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
My black cat, Paul, suffers from dandruff as well.  There was some improvement after I started brushing him every day.  I also switched his food from the gravy style Fancy Feast to the pates made by Fancy Feast and Sheba.   He still has some flakes so I bought some Omega 3, 6 and 9 fish oil for him.  The Omega 3 fatty acids are supposed to help improve coat health.

Unfortunately, he turns down his food when I mix it in, so I still haven't gotten much into him.    

Here are some threads on the subject that might help you.  There are various suggestions for helping with this problem, including supplementing with Omega 3, changing the diet and increasing the grooming.  

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/66634/dandruff

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/5366/dry-skin-dandruff

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/329319/reducing-dandruff-on-plump-feral 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowey415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Snowey is very picky when it comes to food. I feed both my cats an indoor food blend. I only feed them once a day but I leave the food bowl out all the time so if they get hungry they can eat. I will try the omega mixed with some tuna and see if that helps. She doesn't let me brush her. I have read that dandruff can be caused by not enough water. They have a huge water bowl with a refilling thing so they are never out of water but if it gets anything in it Snowey will refuse to drink from it. I typically ignore it untill it gets durty and then I clean it. I think i will start to clean ot more and see of that helps her.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
You should be replacing the water before it gets dirty so definitely change it more often - that can only help.  Also, the dandruff shampoo may take awhile to start working.  Combine that with more frequent brushing and supplementing with Omega 3 and eventually you should see a big difference.  Is Snowey black by any chance?  With a name like that, I'd expect him to be white but dandruff on black cats is always the worst.  

snowey415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thats her. She was named snowey but the humane society and I just kept it that. I was really young when I got her and I couldnt think of a name to rename her then. I will try your suggestions. Thank you. I am also going to put out a separate bowl for just her since the smell of my other cat might bother her. They aren’t friends yet.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
What a pretty girl she is!  She looks like she's doing well, even if she does have dandruff.  

I see someone crochets or knits in the family.  The purple is a lovely color.  However, a word of warning about cats and yarn:  make sure you never leave Snowey or your other cat alone with the yarn.  Cats often chew and swallow yarn.  It can get twisted around their internal organs and require surgery to save the cat's life.  It happens quite often so please do be careful about that. 

snowey415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I crochet. I had dropped that in her bed and she didnt care. I will watch them if they start playing with it. Snowey doesnt play much anymore but Orange cat does. She is pretty health for her age. This is the only issue I have had with her.