Real Talk: Siberian Cats

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do any of you guys own a Siberian? Met a Siberian? Breed Siberians? I want to know more about them. They're not too common but I'm really interested in one. Also, is it weird that I would feel guilty if i got a cat for its breed? All my cats are rescues and just regular old mixed. Is there any way to get over this guilt? Is me having rescued a bunch of mixed cats a good enough compensation for getting one purebred?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
kashmir64 kashmir64 you have a mix of one of these beauties...

Is me having rescued a bunch of mixed cats a good enough compensation for getting one purebred?
Unequivocally, yes.
However, consider; my Big Guy looks a whole lot like a Turkish Angora, but he isn't papered. Who am I to quibble that he is, or isn't, purebred?

In other words, in my opinion when it comes down to the cat itself, love and bonding is going to happen whether the feline in question has a documented lineage back to before the pharaohs, or happens not to have that paperwork.

:gift: :cloud9:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unequivocally, yes.
Oh my gosh thank you haha. That eases my mind a bit. I have 3 cats of my own right now. My partner and I helped a neighbor catch 3 kittens last week that I'm currently fostering. We've always fostered kittens whenever we could and helped to find them good homes after getting them their shots and sometimes even neutered if it fit in with my school schedule (vet tech program). We must've helped over 10 cats so far if you count the babies with me right now.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 you have a mix of one of these beauties...
However, consider; my Big Guy looks a whole lot like a Turkish Angora, but he isn't papered. Who am I to quibble that he is, or isn't, purebred?

In other words, in my opinion when it comes down to the cat itself, love and bonding is going to happen whether the feline in question has a documented lineage back to before the pharaohs, or happens not to have that paperwork.
Very true. I would hope that any kitten that comes into my care would form a bond with me as I try my very hardest to show them love and appreciation while still respecting their boundaries :rbheart: I sure hope if I do get a Siberian that they learn to love me.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine not, you sound like a wonderful person and a wonderful cat person.
Hopefully you hear from Kashmir or another owner - all the best of luck to you!!
Thank you so much! You seem like a great person as well. I'm so grateful that you commented on my post. Have a great day! :thumbsup:

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love my Siberian (well, she's a lynx point—so some would say Neva Masqerade). They're not that uncommon, honestly...there are like 5 breeders within two hours from where I live.

Ruby is nice to my weird older Balinese cat, she is very beautiful, her fur is as soft as a bunny, she's curious and engaged but not crazy, she makes a weird peeping noise rather than a meow (cute!), and best of all she loves to cuddle. She literally runs to me at top speed to jump on my lap. Ruby is only seven months old, so she can be a little annoying/stupid sometimes, but she's way more relaxed than many cats. She didn't turn out to be incredibly hypoallergenic, but that varies by individual (plus my reluctance to vaccuum a lot doesn't help LOL). Overall I love my Siberian and the others that I've met, they are great cats.

If you feel bad about buying a purebred cat, you could always inquire with local breeders about their retiring queens, who would probably be only 3 or 4 years old. That's how I got my Balinese.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love my Siberian (well, she's a lynx point—so some would say Neva Masqerade). They're not that uncommon, honestly...there are like 5 breeders within two hours from where I live.

Ruby is nice to my weird older Balinese cat, she is very beautiful, her fur is as soft as a bunny, she's curious and engaged but not crazy, she makes a weird peeping noise rather than a meow (cute!), and best of all she loves to cuddle. She literally runs to me at top speed to jump on my lap. Ruby is only seven months old, so she can be a little annoying/stupid sometimes, but she's way more relaxed than many cats. She didn't turn out to be incredibly hypoallergenic, but that varies by individual (plus my reluctance to vaccuum a lot doesn't help LOL). Overall I love my Siberian and the others that I've met, they are great cats.

If you feel bad about buying a purebred cat, you could always inquire with local breeders about their retiring queens, who would probably be only 3 or 4 years old. That's how I got my Balinese.
Aww, 2 of the kitties I'm raising are lynx points <3 I've always loved them and wanted one, and now there are 2 next to me! I'm pretty sure I'm keeping 1 haha.

I am allergic to cats (I take allergy medicine every day), though that's not why I considered the Siberian. I just love large cats and the Siberian look so beautiful and distinguished and their personalities seem very pleasant :p

So your Balinese was a retired breeder, you bought your Siberian right? How did you pick out your kitten? I want to know how to pick one that'll fit what I'm looking for personality wise.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't feel guilty about wanting a purebred. While none of my cats have been one, three of my family's dogs have been-I only feel bad about one of them coming from a puppy mill.

I've never ruled out getting a purebred cat at some point. There are certain breeds I like. If it would help, there are breed-specific rescues you could look into.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please don't feel guilty about wanting a purebred. While none of my cats have been one, three of my family's dogs have been-I only feel bad about one of them coming from a puppy mill.

I've never ruled out getting a purebred cat at some point. There are certain breeds I like. If it would help, there are breed-specific rescues you could look into.
Aww thank you. I do have a specific breed dog from a breeder. I guess I'm more okay with it because it's so much more common for someone to have a specific breed of dog. It's more widely accepted. Specific breeds of cats aren't even that common to the average person. All people who I know have cats are all just DSH, DMH, DLH. No pedigree cat at all.

That being said, I still do feel kind of bad sometimes that I have a dog from a breeder, but if I could rescue a corgi EASILY with no behavioral issues, I would!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You don't need an excuse to own a purebred cat. There is no guilt involved. I have 7 rescues and 1 pedigreed cat. They are all unique and every one of them deserves a loving furever home.

I do happen to know a Siberian breeder. I've seen his cats a many shows and they are wonderful, friendly lovebugs.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is always kind of awkward talking to someone when they ask if your pet came from a breeder. I feel like there is always some underlying judgement on their part because of the whole "adopt don't shop" mentality too many people have. I believe, adopt, or buy from a GOOD breeder (humane, breeds for health, cares about animals). It's even more weird when people ask for the price because I'm really not one for bragging.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You don't need an excuse to own a purebred cat. There is no guilt involved. I have 7 rescues and 1 pedigreed cat. They are all unique and every one of them deserves a loving furever home.

I do happen to know a Siberian breeder. I've seen his cats a many shows and they are wonderful, friendly lovebugs.
Aww thank you! So true, all cats are different. I have yet to meet 2 that are the same. And wow, how do you do it?? I want to have 7 eventually <3 I know I'd still be able to handle them care and maintenance wise.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 rescues (that I literally rescued) and 2 purebreds. I love my purebreds too much to feel even an ounce of guilt about them. tibby (my siberian) is my little bear. he is my favorite and he has attached to me. he likes my husband ok but I'm mama cat. I've pretty much decided I will always have a siberian cat. there is just nothing that is unlovable about him. he's also gorgeous. that said he was a high speed brat when he was a kitten. now he's a brat but not constantly so. he still looks like a kitten. he likes to get up high. he is an incredible jumper. he's an ambush hunter which is pretty funny. he taught my other cats how to ambush. in short I have nothing but praise for the breed. he's also been incredibly healthy other than having a tendency to have herpes flare ups. I've always had forest cats and forest cats as a general rule tend to be huge. siberians are supposed to be huge. he's never been over 10 pounds. that said he's also been hyperactive and skinny as a rail (but totally golden on health check ups) I think if he were a proper weight he'd probably be 12 or 13 pounds with a little fat on his belly like your typical neutered male. we offer him as much food as he likes. i wonder if his sniffer isn't what it could be or something.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 rescues (that I literally rescued) and 2 purebreds. I love my purebreds too much to feel even an ounce of guilt about them. tibby (my siberian) is my little bear. he is my favorite and he has attached to me. he likes my husband ok but I'm mama cat. I've pretty much decided I will always have a siberian cat. there is just nothing that is unlovable about him. he's also gorgeous. that said he was a high speed brat when he was a kitten. now he's a brat but not constantly so. he still looks like a kitten. he likes to get up high. he is an incredible jumper. he's an ambush hunter which is pretty funny. he taught my other cats how to ambush. in short I have nothing but praise for the breed. he's also been incredibly healthy other than having a tendency to have herpes flare ups. I've always had forest cats and forest cats as a general rule tend to be huge. siberians are supposed to be huge. he's never been over 10 pounds. that said he's also been hyperactive and skinny as a rail (but totally golden on health check ups) I think if he were a proper weight he'd probably be 12 or 13 pounds with a little fat on his belly like your typical neutered male. we offer him as much food as he likes. i wonder if his sniffer isn't what it could be or something.
OH MY GOSH HE IS GORGEOUS. I AM IN LOVE. Thank you for your addition to this post!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See what happens when I'm busy all day? I come in late. Samai, my part Siberian was a rescue. I got her at 10 days to foster, then I adopted her as soon as I was able. She was a terror when she was younger. Seriously, an ambush predator. I have scars all over my arms and legs from her. However, in the past few months, she has become a cuddle bug. She is always either on me or near me. And, they can jump. Samai can jump from the floor to the top of the fridge. I'm not saying all Siberians are terrors, she is only part, remember. Even with that, I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Don't feel guilty. Although most my cats came from shelters or rescue, I have had two AKC dogs. I wanted traits that I didn't want mixed out of them.
You can always check out Siberian cat rescues, I'm sure there are some.