Ready for a challenge? :)

firenat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I picked up 13 new foster kittens from our rescue today!!  I need to create their health records, determine gender, and do vaccinations tonight, and I would love to have some help identifying their colors and markings!  Usually  I just make a note like "black and white" on their health records, but I figured, WHY waste this great resource?  It would be fun to hear what others think!  How would you classify these kittens?  Thanks so much for looking!

^ Is this called an orange or red tabby?

^ These two tabbies have different stripe patterns on their bodies, but I don't know what it is called.

^ Solid gray and white, one short-haired, one long-haired.

These 2 babies have 3 colors.  Is this still a tabby?

^ I think these 3 are classic blue tabbies in short and long hair, but I'm not positive.  #10 has a solid-colored body and stripes only on legs and face.

^ This little girl has some kind of tortoiseshell mottling on her head and neck?

I also have 2 beautiful black kittens, but they are solid-colored, so  they are easy to identify.  :)

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wow what cute little babies ;)

Ok so here goes

#1 - is a red tabby ( looks like a mackerel tabby- not 100% on that ) and red is the correct term for orange

#2 - are both brown mackerel tabbies

#4 - blue and white shorthair ( blue is correct term for grey )

#5 - blue and white longhair

#6 & #7 - are both torbie and white :D A tortie ( tortoiseshell ) is black and red patches. A tortie which also has a tabby pattern is called a Torbie

#8, #9 & #10 - you are right are all blue classic tabbies. Some tabbies take a while to develop their tabby markings on the back of body. But the face and legs always give it away if it is a tabby.

#11 - is a brown tabby can't tell which tabby pattern from the pic. The reddish color on her head and neck is just her warm shade of brown starting to coming though. Brown tabbies come in different shades of brown from warm reddish shade to colder silver shade.
The cat in my avatar pic is a great example of a warm reddish shade of brown. He looks almost red but he is just a very warm shade of brown.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh #9 - is actually a blue classic tabby and white :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firenat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!  I wrote down all the awesome info you gave me, and I forgot to answer and tell you how much I appreciate your help!  Sorry I took so long to respond; you really know a lot about cats and colors!  How do you tell the difference between tabby patterns?