reading a fold

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently got a fold out of an animal shelter. I've never had one before and believe that it is a triple fold, though it might be a technicality of a double. (no papers and fixed).

I have had many cats through my life and feel that I'm fairly good at reading a cats ears. but this one has me stumped.

His ears are always forward (duh) and dont seem to flatten anymore or perk up. I also haven't seen them swivel like I'm use to with other cats in various directions.

I've had him for about a week and during that time he has been in a cage with another cat while they get use to the new smells, sounds and overall surroundings. He will often hiss at the other cat when she is "getting in his space" and will rarely allow her in the cubby hole that he has chose as his. (no problem). I can, however, reach my hand in and pet him - he doesn't hiss, and as I've said his ears don't move.

It might be that when he is hissing at her that his ears go down a bit and I'm missing it... but not sure...

am I being too critical of what I'm think I'm seeing and there really are clues there? or for the fold do I need to look at other things?

He allows me to pet him, but doesn't allow me to pick him up -- freaks out and wants back in the cage immediately, the other cat will be freaked out for a few minutes, then she will allow me to pick her up again. Because he's a shelter cat, I have no idea if some of this is due to "breeding" or his life than caused him to be in the shelter in the first place. He doesn't flinch or anything when I reach towards him, but when he's been out sniffing the air and being inquisitive he will move to the back of the cage when he sees me walk out.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first started reading your post, I thought by a "fold" you meant a pamphlet! 
 I FINALLY realized you meant the breed of cat. NOT your fault, it's late and I'm tired. I just thought maybe you lived in Europe and "folds" meant pamphlets, like a "lift" is an elevator or a "boot" is a car trunk. Yeah, one of my stupid moments.

Anyway, I have no experience with that breed but I would think the ears would at least twist to catch the sounds coming from behind him. Don't breeds like this have issues with their ears getting clogged? Maybe his ears need cleaned and he can't hear as well as he should be to react to the sounds? The laying down of the ears isn't evident with all cats (at least I've learned that with mine). My LittleOne is the most temperemental cat you would ever meet and her mood changes in a second. We can be petting her and she is fine, ears up, purring up a storm and a second later she hisses and howls...but her ears stay up the entire time. I guess she's warning us that she's getting close to having enough but not quite there yet? Who knows....

Isn't its a breed that not everyone is familiar with, you may also want to post the question the The Breeders Corner. You may get a quicker answer that way. I think there are some here that own Folds or similar breeds so they may be able to answer you question faster. My breed of specialty is your basic US Barn Cat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat similar to that too. Her ear movement was VERY slight as far as showing her temperment.

I had thought of posting in the breeders area, but wasn't sure. I think you are right, and I will try posting over there too.

From what I've read, the idea that they have ear problems because of gunk, etc is a falacy and they have no more problem that other breeds.

Thanks for your answer.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get more experienced answers in the Breeder's Corner. It wouldn't hurt to wipe his ears out with a vinegar and water solution just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't hurt him. From my understanding any animal who's ears flop over could be prone to ear infections. Skuttles (lab/Aussie shepherd mix) has a terrible time with her ears. Her mother, Snickers, (who she inherited the floppy ears from) doesn't seem to have any problems but we have to put drops in Skuttles ears a few times a week. Since he came from a shelter you really don't have any idea what kinds of problems they had with him, do you?

BTW, have you posted pics yet? We really need picks...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I posted in the breeders area, I did add a photo. Most of the photos I have of the cats right now aren't that good because they are still in the hiding stage of life.

but this weekend I'm going to separate him from his current roommate - so I should be able to get better shots of both of them. I feel happy that they aren't trying to make a break for it when I open the cage, but they are both still unfamiliar with the area, smells and sounds...so working on that.