Re: Sassy - 19yr old (close to 20) - Not eating / Very Lethargic + losing balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone!

Sorry for the lack of update after the nosbebleed. Seems like...was just yesterday almost and I see last post was around Nov 28th!

In a nutshell, her nosebleed had just been that one morning and stopped within an hour or so, and just didnt bleed again after. Just crusted/dried up on edge of nostril but I guess over time that cleared out. I had called and spoken to vet that day too and either he was too busy or something, but all he brought up as possible causes were the worse cases scenario - TUMOR or CANCER or some GROWTH in the nose...sigh...and that overall he couldn't diagnose as it could be so many different things and can't determine without examining her (which I understand). But he really brought up foremost all the worse cases possible and it really brought me down. I mentioned to him what if it was just some injury. He said well if it was, then it would be just 1 time thing and never to happen again. And so till today, I guess it was just that because she hasn't had any recurrence of nosebleed again. So perhaps was just an injury she sustained back then on the 28th.

However I see back on November 26th I wrote about her appetite situation...although it felt much longer than that recent date. Where she attempted to eat at first but ran away from her bowl. Would try few times and still ran away.

Today this morning, sadly it happened again. She ate fine overnight and very early this morning. Waited for me at the door and she just ran away immediately from her bowl when she wanted to eat. Tried again 30 minutes, still ran. So i placed her into her bed and she slept. She woke up 2 hours later, tried feeding her again and she still ran away....now she's just remaining out there in living room sitting and relaxing. I really don't get why she does this. Seems it has been just about 24 days since that last reccurence. So just about half hour ago I gave her half a dose/strip of the Mirataz again...in hopes to jumpstart her appetite....or just not have her run away from her bowl. It worked back the in November so it should be working again shortly....However, now my fear is the nosebleed.

I had her on Mirataz once every week back in August because of the Friskies food quality issues...and her reluctant to eat the foods. so I had given her Mirataz to just sort of force her to eat whatever I'd find for time being. I wondered though since, if giving it to her weekly once a week, caused her Bloood pressure to rise and got to that point in end of September where it was too high and she lost her vision? Seems somewhat linked. Especially now when I look back on my posts here, and me giving her MIrataz again back on November 26th, and 2 days later she had her nose bleed. Just makes me wonder? Even though I'm barely giving her just half the amount it shows on the box, half strip of the gel. It's enough to get her appetite going for sure. But then that nosebleed - wonder if it was from her blood pressure spiking then after or just maybe some injury. Guess now that I gave her Mirataz almost an hour ago, time will tell if in next day or two her nose would bleed again? Just wondering.

But outside of that, she's been fine these past weeks, eating regularly and all. Just don't know why she ran away from her bowl again today so suddenly.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Glad to hear that things are going along okay. There will continue to be these ups and downs given her age and the medical care that she needs. She needs to eat, definitely, but there could be side effects with the medication, so you have to do the best you can and adjust as you and your vet see fit. Jumping right to nasal tumors was unnecessary on the part of the vet. Remember that a lot of medical professionals start with the worst news so that you can't say that you were not warned that something might be serious.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right, i get they need to warn about something serious potentially.

It's strange. So the Mirataz has helped her rest of yesterday afternoon/evening without having her to run away from her bowl. She did act a little...odd after she passed some stool last night - she did very little almost as if she was constipated or something. It has happened in the past and usually resolves the next day or so. Left her food overnight, she ate all of it on her own, fed her 1st breakfast at around 530am which is her normal, she remained awake until i got back from outside, and tried feeding her again at 730am which is what ive always done. But now suddenly I guide her to her eating spot, I place the bowl down and immediately she runs away, but this time i just guided her to her bed nearby and she went to sleep. I really don't get what's going on with her - why she has that impulse of running away from her bowl when literally 2 days ago and everyday prior to that, she been eating fine.

Now she will have the opportunity to be on her own in peace/relax as I will go into work and head back home later around 4pm. Will leave some dry food for her, hoping she eats that. Then attempt to feed her when i get home later from work. I thought with the Mirataz she'd be constantly eating - or at the very least have the desire to eat and NOT want to run away from her bowl.

Yesterday I did try to not give her food in bowl and straight from opening a can, but even from that she ran away initially yesterday. Until I opened a different flavor of canned food yesterday. She rejected her favorite one so she has another alternative. But that reaction and desire to run away the instant her bowl goes down or open food just gets to me. Like I might get she does that because maybe she doesn't want to eat? But then if so, why is that? She doens't appear to be sick, again eats overnight on her own just fine. Just come morning she decides to act up. And again, really thought Mirataz would have helped her eat this morning as it did most of yesterday afternoon/night. Maybe it's from not passing enough stool and its all backed up inside? Doesn't seem she is nauseaous or wants to throw up either. Maybe I just got to leave her for hours without eating and act as if on days im home, I "went to work" and just try giving her food later in afternoon as opposed throughout the mornings? It's so confusing.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone, Here's an update/new one...

So Today I went to work. As mentioned before, Sassy rejected to eat her 2nd breakfast this morning for 2nd day consecutively. She attempted to run away but I let her go off to her bed. She seemed ok. I comforted her, pet her and sort of held her while she was in her bed. She seemed happy and then went peacefully to sleep. I got ready for work and left. Of course, left some dry food. She went to sleep around 8am and i left for work by 9am.

Now, I strongly believe she got up around 10am or 11am. Usually max she goes sleeping before either litter, water bowl or eat next meal is about 3 hours. 2-3 hours. So Im assuming she got up around 10-11am. What she did exactly who knows, but by time i returned, she had used litter, passed a greater amount of stool compared to yesterday (thought she was constipated), drank water and ate all her dry food at some point. Now I don't really know when I go work, if she ever attempts to sleep or manages to find her bed. I believe she does through smelling her way there and muscle memory? Otherwise maybe while she waits for me by entrance she might sleep on the floor there too. Today however, got home around 5:30pm, she was walking around but she looked sooooo tired. Luckily was able to guide to her eating spot, she didnt run away, ate her food, then went to sleep. but she didnt even clean her face - just went straight to sleep right away. She seemed very tired so I wondered if she had been awake maybe all day? Then she was well on her way of sleeping way past 3 hours - had to sort of force her to get up. She got up to drink water, gave it some time to settle her water in her stomach, then 30 minutes later fed her. She ate quite a lot...but again that could be the Mirataz from yesterday. then guided her to her bed and this time she cleaned her face a little, then went to sleep now currently. Whether she gets up again for a final meal not sure, she seems knocked out.

The one thing I have noticed aside from her looking soo tired even after gettiing up a while ago before 2nd meal, her left eye would leak. like a large clear droplet just dripped down her eye. I used tissue to clean it, dripped a drop to the floor even. Then after her water drink, she just sat in front of bathroom, and again her eye was bit leaky but not dripping, just outside edge of eye - clear liquid. She used to get that sometimes in past randomly, but what is that? some infection? Or was she maybe crying as if she's in some discomfort or pain? It was bit saddening to see it drip upon her getting up, looked like she cried or something. And kind of wants to keep that eye closed too a bit. So not sure.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I found the issue.

I got Sassy up again short while ago, and i attempted to open her eye as she kept having it clsoed her left eye, clear liquid dripped, and upon opening it, her entire eye was red! Not even the other eye back month ago or so was that red/blood fillled. Could this be a pressure somehow despite still being on the transdermal amoldipine? Im going to ask the vet but I see now why she keeping that eye closed. I still got plenty of that Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexemalethasone creame left over. Wonder if I should use that now in her right eye?

Wonder if that red eye that's making her tired and lethargic.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have sometimes noticed that one of my cats seems "better" when they are left alone; they sort of return to a pattern that they find comforting. It is hard to tell what Sassy is doing when you are not home, but I am guessing that it is sleeping quite a bit. Her tiredness might be from age and health conditions, not necessarily from wandering around while you are gone. She is very familiar with her home and is probably not distressed to be there. Ask the vet about the eye so that he is up to speed on what is happening.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!!

Long time no post. In short, I believe Sassy has been doing fine. Been eating well, no signs of slowing down nor illness. Haven't checked her blood pressure of late but, her eyes appear to be clear from blood buildup, guessing her pressure is lowered thru the transdermal amlopdine. Been cleaning her ears out with damp towel every 2 days to ensure medication gets onto clean skin. Perhaps that's helping it.

Today however I have out she has this mass/skin abscess like issue going near her cheekbone. Doesn't seem to hurt her nor she tries to rub it or lick it or anything with her paw. She had something similar way back in 2019 (attached picture is for reference). It surfaced on her side rib cage. Took her to vet then, she got it drained and some kind of ointment was provided. Was put with a cone and all for week or two I think so she doesn't lick it off. And it healed somewhat. Came back year or so later but, just leave it now as is - some minor lump of greasy skin on her side of stomach.

But now I see something similar in her cheek bone. Would anyone know what it could be? I can try to take better pics when she awake later. Emailed vet to see what they say. It's just as before, a vet visit is EXTREMELY stressful for her being shes blind. Surely her pressure will rise, her eyes maybe have that internal blood build up again, and maybe some ointment may be given or something. Plus, although I don't think a cone would help as i don't think she could lick her cheek bone near her eye area...but a cone plus her being blind just wouldn't go well at all.

If anyone could provide some thoughts, would gladly appreciate it. So far being its near her mouth area, she still eats just fine and all so hasn't affected that. Nor more lethargic or anything really. No leakage or pus either too.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh no! Did the vet ever determine what the previous incident(s) was/were from? Either way, maybe this time they can prescribe treatment via phone with you and try that as a solution to start with. Giving them pics will at least let you know if this has reached the point of needing drained or not before treatment. If she is not bothering it, then maybe the ointment without a cone would be OK.

Hoping you can try something before having to take her to the vet. All-in-all, if it needs to be drained, you know what you will need to do. Given all of the past, I presume you've previously looked into in-home care?

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Did the vet ever determine what the previous incident(s) was/were from? Either way, maybe this time they can prescribe treatment via phone with you and try that as a solution to start with. Giving them pics will at least let you know if this has reached the point of needing drained or not before treatment. If she is not bothering it, then maybe the ointment without a cone would be OK.

Hoping you can try something before having to take her to the vet. All-in-all, if it needs to be drained, you know what you will need to do. Given all of the past, I presume you've previously looked into in-home care?
Vet just replied saying could be an abscess from a tooth or skin growth he said. Ointment wouldn't hurt but depending on cause, results would vary. Then went on to suggest to bring her in to get it examed...

I tried looking for in home visits but they are EXTREMELY costly and just not worth the cost - let alone doesn't seem to be covered with her insurance. I rahter then bring her in but, its hard to tell if it needs ot be drained. She isn't really trying to lick or reach for it either. And Im guessing if it was from a tooth, she wouldn't be able to eat or have difficulties from the pain which isn't the case. I'm almost leeaning to trying the cream at first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know Sassy better than anyone else (including your vet). Has anything in her past checkups suggested there was an issue with her teeth in that area? Cats can be difficult in determining if there is an issue with their teeth, so it is not out of realm of possibility. But an outward abscess associated with a tooth seems - to me - to be a bit of a far stretch. Ask your vet about treating her as if this is another flare up that caused her past incidents, and what to look for it the treatment does not appear to help.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another vet from clinic (both vets have seen Sassy) claims its either a Mass or an abscess, maybe even a tooth root abscess he said. He said cream can help, but also systemic antibiotics. The last mass/abscess she had was just squeezed out with pus coming out from it originally (not this one by the cheek however), and then cream was given.

To that point about the tooth, I keep thinking if it was some issue with tooth for one, wouldn't it be painful and two, stop her from eating?

I worry because everywhere i read while abscess seems treatable, seems like its something that can lead to fatal issues if not treated as soon as possible. I thought it could be something it can go away on its own but doesn't seem that way.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And no, nothing was ever really brought up on her teeth or anything like cavities, broken tooth or anything like that. I read other stories if it was something with the tooth she'd be reluctant to eat from the pain and such but i don't see that yet. However, being the bump on her cheek bone, I do see other cats and how it relates usually to tooth root abscesses. Though those cats get like really swollen bumps in skin, like really swollen. I don't even notice any swelling in the area. Just seems to be consolidated to that spot and just her skin is opened up and a mass is there but doesn't appear swollen though.

I think I may give in and try to bring her in Friday. Rather than to try and gamble a medication or two when the vets are rightfully so, saying they are unsure what it is and suggest in person exam.

Also even if its a mass or some kind of abscess, doesn't seem it will go away just on its own from what I've read. Just trying to avoid any surgical option as I know last year, vet didn't recommend any sort of anastheisa for some procedure (Can't recall what for - digestive problems) due to her very old age and kidney disease. So obviously any surgery is just out of the question.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A tooth abscess can swell out and then rupture open, although I am not saying that this is what Sassy has. They are supposedly exceptionally painful. Can you see at all into her mouth even though that does not really help with treatment?

Home visits are very expensive in LA as well. If you were to do one, you would need to know that they could actually help, not just show up and agree that you need a regular practice vet.

I do agree that she probably needs to be seen. Let us know what happens.

aryia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey I have nothing constructive to add but maybe a quick suggestion.

When my kitties don't feel well it is much easier for them to eat with a highly elevated food bowl which helps with any pressure in the head (aka nosebleeds, Sassy's eye, anything wounds in the mouth). It helps quite a bit when they don't have to lower their heads at all.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey I have nothing constructive to add but maybe a quick suggestion.

When my kitties don't feel well it is much easier for them to eat with a highly elevated food bowl which helps with any pressure in the head (aka nosebleeds, Sassy's eye, anything wounds in the mouth). It helps quite a bit when they don't have to lower their heads at all.
That's actually a really great idea!

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

So I spoke to vet on Thursday afternoon. Apparently his office been super booked until early next week. However he didn't deem it as an emergency - especially since she still eats and drinks fine as he said. He mentioned I should just continue to monitor it until I get fit into an appointment. Also mentioned (which made me question as I'd read otherwise) that if I had neosporin or bactrycin (which i have both) that I can even use that to put on the abscess/mass see if it helps in any way. He brought up they can prescribe me Animax but I was better off the cheaper route if I already had neosporin and such. But from what I read way back in the past and even yesterday again to re-assure me, it literally says in most if not all sites that it shouldn''t be used in cats or dogs and how toxic it can be or some kind of shock/reaction it can give to the pet. So I haven't put any of that at all on Sassys skin yet.

Would animax just be the safer route since that's made for pets? till today, shes still eating fine, her face isn't swollen or anything, just that little lump on her skin. She hasn't been picking at it or trying to rub it or anything. She yawns kinda wide with her mouth so I'd peak into her mouth but her gum line on top and towards the back seems that light pink colored, nothing discolored or discharging or anything inside from what i saw. No blood nothing which made me think it may not be a tooth issue - especially since she still biting her dry food on that side of mouth too still and just eating overall.

Vet said also - if it was from a tooth abscess, ideally would be to remove the affected tooth and all but given her age, blood pressure and heart problem (murmur), kidney disease, etc, its way to risky to put her anasthesia so he won't recommend that at all. And to just treat the abscess with antibiotics orally or cream.

Just not sure what to do on that cream part. They close at 2pm, may just pick one up too apply. Just worry since her tongue can kinda reach back there...afraid her tongue would take a swipe at the cream.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are worried about it, just ask the vet to prescribe Animax as you would prefer to pay more for something that is specifically used on cats. The plain Neosporin (no pain additive) might be fine but really isn't intended to be ingested by cats.

You could also ask your vet about using chamomile tea. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for Sassy to ingest should she do so. If you go this route, buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that area with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One more thing I noticed but haven't brought up recently but it has my concern now...

She been coughing randomly few times once a day but not everyday, just random days. She'd even get a mini 1-2 cough episode while sleeping, then she goes back to sleep. Other times she'd cough maybe after drinking water but that was some time ago - of late hasn't occurred. If anything, lately she been coughing while she eats. Sometimes she'd cough few times in her meal, then resumes eating. So far 3 times has occurred in past week - she would cough as she eats but she'd spit out some thick liquid stuff or spit into her plate - not her entire meal thrown up though however. If she spits out liquid or spit/saliva, she will walk away from plate. But later one she would continue eating her normal meals.

I did some research a bit and seems like it connects either asthma, allergies, or fluid build up in lungs or even heart failure. One thing that maybe because I'm too concerned or paying detailed attention to her breathing - is that I can't tell if shes like doing labered breathing or having difficulty breathing. Her rib cage expands when she breathes but her body also moves along with that breathing sequence although she isn't breathing rapidly. I did some count and she averages about 23-24 breathes a minute. Tend to notice it more when she sleeps as she sleeps on the hardwood floor essentially since her bed isn't like really padded and so when she lays down, thats when I notice it bit more. She doesn't do rapid breathing or constant coughing or breathing with mouth open. So was wondering what could be issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this just one more thing to potentially worry about from what I read.

I took videos of her breathing to show examples but I know i cant upload here. Was it only through youtube?

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.