Re-Introducing Dry Food/Kibble Into Diet

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a dilemma that I’m seeking advice on, so I appreciate any contributions.

I have two 1 yr, 7 month old cats who have been eating raw food for a year now. I completely removed dry food from their diets when they were about 6 months old and 1/3 of their diet is still canned.

I’m going out of town in Jan (I’d rather not b/c COVID, but it’s an important family matter) for 5 days and I’m scared to leave my cats alone for the majority of the day in my apartment and rely on a cat sitter. I found this amazing cat hotel that has a big open room for my cats to wander and play—but they leave out unlimited kibble for cats to eat.

I can also give the hotel owner some of my cats’ canned food to eat twice a day, but I’m worried about health issues that may arise from them eating the available kibble since the majority of their diet is raw, and they haven’t had kibble in over a year.

Is it possible to slowly reintroduce kibble into their diet right now so their bodies won’t be shocked when they have access to it in the hotel? Or would that cause harm? I’m also concerned about water intake; one of my cats will drink water every 2 days or so but the other rarely drinks water. I’m afraid that he’ll be so in the habit of not drinking water and won’t start once he starts eating kibble, which poses obvious hydration concerns.

Thoughts and advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I'm wondering if you can find a different boarding facility? They require proof of vaccinations and annual health checkups, I assume?These folks might not be able to provide individualized attention, which is what your cats need, it sounds like.

If there isn't another place available I'd start feeding some kibble now, and put out some extra water bowls :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm wondering if you can find a different boarding facility? This one sounds as though they might not be able to provide individualized attention, which is what your cats need.

If not, I'd start feeding some kibble now, and put out some extra water bowls .
I can find other boarding facilities, however, the reason why I was looking at this one is because of the space that it provides in the open room. All of the other boarding facilities keep the cats in small spaces and I don’t want to do that to my cats for 5 days. The hotel I’m looking at also has private rooms but they’re only 4 ft x 4ft.

My cats only require individual attention for food, but I get that’s a main task so maybe I should get more comfortable with the idea of a cat sitter?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
To tell you the truth, I'm thinking that you could obtain the kibble you used previously, and find out the brand they're using, then transition your babies with gradually larger ratios of their brand.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you specifically request that your cats not be fed any dry food, only the canned food you provide? Or that they temporarily remove all the dry food when your cats are in the open area for playtime?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats only require individual attention for food, but I get that’s a main task so maybe I should get more comfortable with the idea of a cat sitter?
Hi. Go down the cat sitter route. If not neighbors/friends/relatives, check out the services offered by care.com (in the pets section). You can look at profiles/credentials, talk with them via phone, and even interview them in your home. They will offer references and - in my experience, come to your home to acquaint themselves with your cats, and learn the routines - including food requirements - you want them to learn. You can tell by their profiles, right off the bat, what their motives are (helping out another cat lover or in it for the money).