Re intro, back with a new cat

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been a member but dropped off after my cat passed away a year ago of cancer (she was nearly 20). Wasn't planning on being a cat owner again but you know how that goes and my ever helpful mother kept tagging me in cute cats looking for a home. So last week I adopted an approx. three year old girl that we renamed Newt. She's fearlessly settled into my menagerie and seems like a real sweetheart.

She was spayed a day ago and I have her convalescing in her own space at least until the staples get taken out, she does have a yeast infection in her ears that hopefully this round of meds will clear up. I would also like to get her on a raw diet same as my other animals and previous cat but for now she's on canned and kibble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, very sorry for the loss of your old girl.  Newt is simply stunning, with delightful markings.  Is she an Highlander or an Highland (Desert Lynx) Cross?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She was surrendered as a highlander, previous owners could no longer afford to keep her.   I'd never heard of the breed nor had the rescue before but find her bob tail pretty cute, especially when it wags..  If she was a boy I'd probably have named her Duncan though, I used to watch a lot of that tv show in the 90s.  Nostalgia. 

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She was surrendered as a highlander, previous owners could no longer afford to keep her.   I'd never heard of the breed nor had the rescue before but find her bob tail pretty cute, especially when it wags..  If she was a boy I'd probably have named her Duncan though, I used to watch a lot of that tv show in the 90s.  Nostalgia. 
They incredibly beautiful cats.  Since the explosion of the market in "exotic looks" Highlanders have been appearing in crosses and back-crosses over the last few years - that having prompted the Desert Lynx question.  Newt's definitely a keeper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad her people cared enough to get her in a rescue vs dumping off on craigslist or something, she likely would have become someone's breeder.  That popularity rarely ends well for the animal.  She really caught my eye and her name was Gypsy-which was what I had named my first cat.  Name change was priority #1.  She's also the same age the vets thought my Gypsy was near when we took her in but the similarities end there.  My Gypsy was dumped way out in the woods, spayed and front declawed so clearly a pet, well on her way to starving to death when hunters found her, she was not a friendly cat and hated all other animals and most people.  But she was my baby, my first real pet (I was 14 when we got her) and when I had to put her to sleep we said no more cats.      Unless of course the right cat came along, one that liked people and was ok with our dogs.  Now I wonder how I made it an entire year without a kitty around.  She is just the tiniest thing though, only about 6 pounds.  Very lap sized.