Re-catherization after PU surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

colaradocatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last Friday Ninja started acting strange when peeing. When we took him to the vet, it appeared he was blocked with struvite crystals. After two unsuccessful catheterizations we opted for the PU Surgery. It appeared that he has an extra small urethra. We were able to bring him home yesterday, but unfortunately although the surgery was successful, he did not pee. We had to take him back to the hospital, where they some mucus and clotted blood . Unfortunately it did not resolve the issue and they are going to re-catheterize him. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do not, and a fairly extensive google search didn't turn up anything, either, so this must be fairly unusual. I would think that the plug was secondary to the surgery, and after he is healed completely, all will be well, but this is just a guess on my part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colaradocatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is my understanding that this is a very unusual complication after PU. Since removal of the mucus and clot did not help, they think it might be inflammation. So they are hopeful that after two days, the inflammation will have lessened and they can remove the catheter. I am not positive that is the issue as I feel that there would have been at least a tiny bit of voiding if it is just inflamation. Also it worries me that this catherization will form strictures and I don't know what the solution for that is. The whole thing has been a mess, from getting the wrong medications, to escaping his kennel at the emergency clinic three times and requiring stitches. It seems that everything than can go wrong is going wrong. We are really in need of some good luck!!!

colaradocatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are not doing well. It appears he got a fistula during surgery, and somehow lost some of his stitches. He is so swollen that they had to surgically catherize him. Now we have to wait until the swelling is down in a few day. The surgeon said they might need to recreate a new peeing hole in his stomach. This is all mind boggling as these issues usually don't arise in a PU. We are very stressed, including Ninja.

colaradocatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He had to go back two times after his PU Surgery and we decided at that point that although he was only 3 years old, he had suffered enough. We send him over the rainbow bridge last night. Although I have had many cats come and go, this one has been especially hard because he was so incredible healthy before the blocking, and it all went so fast. 😢

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hate those crystals. They are awful I made that choice with my boy he was 2 but had a bad heart aswell. It's heartbreaking please be kind to yourself and remember his suffering is over now. R.I.P Ninja :alright:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this C colaradocatlady Your poor boy, what an awful thing to go to. At least he is at peace now. Whenever a cat passes we lock the threads as a sign of respect, so I'll lock this one now.

If you would like to start a memorial thread for Ninja please do so in our Crossing The Bridge forum.

Rest in peace Ninja, you will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.