Re-assurance

FrenchToastKitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry this is a long post:

So I've never posted on her but I'm nervous about my decision regarding a treatment plan for my cat and I guess I'm just searching for reassurance from other cat parents.

My 9-year-old female, long-haired Somali mix has had a litany of issues since rescuing her when she was 5. She has anal gland issues (gets them expressed very few weeks), has feline idiopathic cystitis, the beginnings of kidney dysfunction, the beginnings of arthritis in her hind legs, at one point had herpes flare-ups which causes sneezing, and UTI's. She's just a generally sensitive, anxious cat who licks everything obsessively. I've managed everything pretty well and stay on top of everything: she takes gabapentin every once in a while if she gets too stressed and/or is in pain from anything, we use Feliway spray if she seems like she's having a bad day, Dasaquin supplement daily, and a Forti flora probiotic daily. She's been on a urinary SO diet from when we got her and recently transitioned from just eating wet food only (with only a little bit of dry sprinkled as a treat once in a blue) and Dr. Elsey's senior cat litter to prevent kidney and urinary issues.

A few weeks ago she stopped eating for like a day and was acting weird, which is unlike her. She was walking funny too. She always has an appetite. Turns out she had a bacterial infection in her urine. We did a week of Clavamox and it cleared up some of a bacterial infection and she's acting pretty normal again. She got her appetite back even before going to the vet initially.

Now the vet says she has an E.Coli infection still present. I hate medicine in general and she's pretty sensitive to a lot of stuff. The vet gave me two options: 5 days of Baytril pill form, 1X a day with a follow-up visit after. Or I bring her for an injection of antibiotics that the vet said would last ten days and then a follow-up visit. She's gotten Cerenia injections before no problem but that wouldn't make sense for this case, so I think this would have been Convenia. I agonized over the decision because I'm terrified of side effects and she was acting normal again and I didn't want to rock the boat. I hear bad things about both.

I ultimately decided that there are risks with both, but it's easier to stop a medication if something is off, then it is to have an injection that will then be in her body a long time. Plus, pills equal fewer vet visits so no stress-related illness flare-ups.

What are people's experiences with Baytril? I'm paranoid about the blindness reactions but the doctor mentioned eye issues and said that's why she's only giving it for 5 days.

I hate this because she's doing so well, so I'd hate to make her sicker. She ate the pill with food no problem. I hand fed it to her and searched the food to make sure it was all gone and she ate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrenchToastKitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, she only eats wet food. The minute they told me about the beginning of Kidney Dysfunction, I switched to an all wet diet because I didn't want it to escalate.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check good sources for correct dosages, and then double check with your vet about the dosages prescribed. If she is a caring, responsible caregiver, she will NOT mind your questions in the least!

FrenchToastKitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just emailed her. Waiting for a response. I took it upon myself to now give her the entire pill. It’s the 22.7mg version. I’m freaking out though. It’s the second day and so far so good. But I’m so scared. I thought I was doing her a favor by refusing the shot that also had terrifying side effects. You can’t seem to win.

FrenchToastKitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant I’m not giving her the whole pill. I lessened it. Because I was nervous.

FrenchToastKitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’re switching her to Veraflox and stopping the Baytril. I did a quick search and it seems like I may be able to sleep a little easier with this one. Not to mention it’ll be easier to give her. I think no matter what, any medicine is going to have side effects but I’d rather not risk her eyesight or life.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat took a 21-day course of Baytril last month for a stubborn UTI. I don't know the dosage but Speedy is a very small, elderly cat and it was 1/4 pill, morning and night. Speedy was fine, no side effects and the UTI cleared up.

FrenchToastKitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes definitely, which is why I felt so uneasy about it and decided to just abandon her taking it all together. I hate trying to guess how much is too much or if it's too little. We are doing much better on what we're on now :)

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I am new to this forum and seeking reassurance. My little guy has been ill since we brought him home from the shelter. Though we were told he was in good health, things were off from the beginning. A week after we brought him home he tested positive for a bacterial infection that was causing diarrhea, and pinkeye. Treated with metrodianzole (sp?) and eyedrops for 10 days. Things initially improved, then seemed to worsen again. I am so sad to say he was just diagnosed with pneumonia, and the likely culprit of eye issues is chlamydia.

Here's where I'm worried. He was given an injection of Baytril and also an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever, and sent home with an eye ointment and Baytril. Neptune is 4.2 pounds and prescribed 1/4 22.7mg pill once daily for 20 days. I understand this is under the threshold for retina damage, but I am so scared. He was so sick when we brought him in this time, but the side effects have me petrified.

Any ideas? I'm bringing in his sister tomorrow who I think has a mild URI, and am considering asking the vet for more info on the Baytril, or for a new med.