Re-adjust young cat when avoiding a specific spot?

bharlow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiance' and I just adopted a 1yr 3mo. old white mane coon male cat a few weeks ago named Marsden.  And oh boy is he a hunter...  but a few days back in the bathroom where we kept his litter box he suddenly froze in one spot.. arching his back with his hair raised staring at the corner of the room right behind the door.  We had just put a broom behind that door which is the only change we had made since bringing him home (but the broom was out in the hallway before and he paid no heed to it).  The next morning he was very carefully stalking the entire apartment.. and I couldn't figure out why he wasn't acting like he normally does (playful etc)..  and then pooped on one of the couches.  When we tried to take him into the bathroom to his litter box he began shaking and clinging.  

He has been acting very skittish since.. and very carefully approaches every door staring underneath the doorjam.  That one spot behind the bathroom door he wont go near and will avoid passing through that hallway completely.  We moved his litter box to the other bathroom and he has started using it again so that is a good sign.

My question is.. is there an easy way to readjust him to that one corner of the house?  Help ease his fright of it?  We think the broom behind the door in the wrong light with shadows may have caused his spook episode.. he doesn't quite understand what shadows are yet and still tries to attack them on the walls.  I am hoping he will just get over it.. because he will exclude himself from an entire side of the apartment not wanting to go in that hallway.  Unless of course we pick him up.

Any tricks?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everything you've said and done is right, the broom spooked him for some reason and it will just take some time for him to adjust. Cats will eliminate in odd places when they are stressed or afraid, and he sure was. Put the broom somewhere else and I'm sure eventually he'll see that the 'threat' is gone. Some feliway spray might assure him, as will you petting him and talking calmly. There are 'calming' treats at Amazon you could try, they wouldn't hurt. Time is the only thing now. Good luck!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, he may have thought the bristles on the broom was some scary animal (fur). Feliway plug ins will also work, as Di and Bob suggested. He should be less scared as more time goes by. Give him extra loving.