Razor sharp nails

nss008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat's been with me for 5 months. I never needed to clip her nails. It was never that sharp somehow. But recently it's like razor sharp seriously. She has already hurt me and my dad. It literally felt like razor slicing me up or something.
She has her own rules when it comes to touching her. So me holding her paws and bringing out her claws is out of the question. I have checked many articles about clipping but couldn't come to a conclusion.
My cat is usually very playful and excited but when it comes to grooming her or something she has all her claws out. Clipping her is an emergency right now.so can you please help me out? [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Oh and her claws scare me after her attack [emoji]128547[/emoji]

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your cat will tolerate being wrapped tightly in a towel with only one leg out at a time, and if your Dad will help you (maybe he can hold her, since he is stronger, and you can clip the claws), you can do this with good claw clippers. I suggest the ones you can find in the BIRD department of Petco and occasionally in the cat area.  They look like small blunt scissors.  Do NOT get the ones that look like small guillotines as they are much harder to control if you are not experienced. Only clip in the clear area and you will not hurt her in any way. 

http://www.chewy.com/cat/jw-pet-gri...uluYQiIfiDNZ7RZ5NfyuytS95crGWgaPGWxoCru_w_wcB

There may be a video on nail clipping on YouTube -- it seems like you can find everything and anything there.  If she is a really difficult cat to handle, you might want to take her to your vet's office for the first clipping and for hands-on instruction.  One of the vet techs at your vet's office could show you how to do it.  Once a week clipping is good for front claws, and once every two weeks for hind claws.  Most cats adjust to having this done weekly after awhile even if they are difficult at first.