Rayne is a Mix but Perhaps More?

juriesempai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My aunt rescued my little baby kitten from a feral cat colony in Texas. She's obviously a Siamese mix due to her eyes and points, but upon further research she might be a snowshoe? If someone can add to this I'd greatly appreciate it. I have been taking videos of her growth on youtube as well! 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nice kitten.   :)

My guess is, the parents had any looks - mom probably black and white.   And both parents were carriers of the recessive point gene.

And this gives such here reslults: one of the kittens in the litter is born as a point "siamese mix". Where the siamese ancestor may be 50 generations back.

The exact colors come from one of the parents,  often from mom.   Here black and as is seems, also white - that is why you want to compare him with a snowshoe look alike.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juriesempai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My aunt said the mother was for sure a calico. I saw the rest of the litter. There was a long haired gray kitten, 2 short haired orange tabby cats, and My little girl, Rayne, who seems to be a Siamese mix.  Would this mean her father was likely a Siamese or a cat with a Siamese recessive gene? (Since I am aware cats can have multiple fathers!) 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

My aunt said the mother was for sure a calico. I saw the rest of the litter. There was a long haired gray kitten, 2 short haired orange tabby cats, and My little girl, Rayne, who seems to be a Siamese mix.  Would this mean her father was likely a Siamese or a cat with a Siamese recessive gene? (Since I am aware cats can have multiple fathers!) 
Nay, both parents were carriers, none of them was a point.   If one was a carrier - and you tell mom was not point, and IF father was a point, half of the kittens would be points.  Here its just one pointed kitten, thus we know with almost 100% , the father was a NOT a point....  He was a carrier, like mom.

Both parents were also carriers of the longhair gene.   The hereditary for long hair and the point gene is essentielly the same.

Dear daddy was btw a tabby, carrying it in one gene of the pair in that allele, thus, half of the kittens got tabby.

Gray is a diluted black, if mom was a calico she carried black, red, white...   As I understand,  it was enough with one father here.   It COULD be more, but one is fully enough.

I know its fully possible with multiple fathers, as out in the outside its common with multiple matings by different males.   But this with multiple males to explain different looks is  an exagerration.  Usually its enough with basic cat color genetics to explain  coloration of most of the kitties. 

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nay, both parents were carriers, none of them was a point.   If one was a carrier - and you tell mom was not point, and IF father was a point, half of the kittens would be points.  Here its just one pointed kitten, thus we know with almost 100% , the father was a NOT a point....  He was a carrier, like mom.
Both parents were also carriers of the longhair gene.   The hereditary for long hair and the point gene is essentielly the same.

Dear daddy was btw a tabby, carrying it in one gene of the pair in that allele, thus, half of the kittens got tabby.

Gray is a diluted black, if mom was a calico she carried black, red, white...   As I understand,  it was enough with one father here.   It COULD be more, but one is fully enough.

I know its fully possible with multiple fathers, as out in the outside its common with multiple matings by different males.   But this with multiple males to explain different looks is  an exagerration.  Usually its enough with basic cat color genetics to explain  coloration of most of the kitties. 
Sorry I'm piggybacking on all your posts about point kitties, I'm just so interested. What would you say about the kittens parents if two of the kittens in a litter were points, the mother was not, and we don't know the Tom?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
, I'm just so interested. What would you say about the kittens parents if two of the kittens in a litter were points, the mother was not, and we don't know the Tom?
The statistics arent ironclad, and it may vary.   It depends also on how big the litter is.  But if we for easy counting say, a typical litter of 4,

my main guess would be, the tom was a point.   But its not impossible he was just a carrier, him too.

With our litter of four,

if both carriers:  1 kitten pointed, two non pointed carriers, 1 non pointed non carrier.

if one carrier, one pointed:   2 will be pointed, 2 will be not pointed carriers.

A carrier is herself NOT pointed

a pointed is pointed and a double carrier.

Btw, similiar is for longhair gene.  even if I suspect there are help genes, deciding whom is long hair, and whom become medium hair...

Last edited: