Rawz cat food, found something in the pate, anyone else experience this?

srcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been buying the Rawz cat food for a while now. Recently, I found this thick piece of black material in the chicken and chicken liver pate. This would be the second can that I found this material. I called Rawz and talked to the lady about it, and she said it’s oxidized liver?? And that she had another call concerning this, and she found it in one of the cans she had. She said she tried it bc she eats liver and it was liver? I don’t know…
The tiny object that I found in the food was black, I couldn’t break it with my nails or tear it apart, it had a thick rubbery or leather texture. Has anyone else experienced this with Rawz before? Or is it possible for liver to harden and oxidize into a black hard leather material?
Does anyone have any suggestions on another cat food brand I can switch over to? I don’t think I want to continue with this brand
View attachment 134491
View attachment 134492View attachment 134490

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

srcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_6912.jpeg
IMG_6909.jpeg
IMG_6911.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bold support rep to try something out of a cat food can. 😹

Can you email them that picture? I would even put those black things in a baggy and offer to send it to them for analysis. I like Rawz and want them to succeed. They made the only food that my last cat, Krista, could have in her final years with IBD and lymphoma: the rabbit (and rabbit and pumpkin) pate without agar agar and other multi-protein or starchy nonsense that made other rabbit brands unworkable.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
She ATE the piece of cat food? Am I really reading this right?

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has IBD and has a long list of ingredients to avoid. We give him Rawz because it's one of the few canned foods he can actually eat, but I also find bits and pieces in the food that I'm unsure what they are and wish they weren't there (the turkey & turkey liver seems to have the most, I think some bits are clumps of fat and some might be bone?).

These are the other brands we feed besides Rawz and they have a similar nutrient profile. The Inception looks so much like Rawz that it's difficult to tell them apart outside the can.

Inception
Dr. Elsey's
Identity

Sonnys_sonnet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just recently started feeding my cat Rawz so this is disappointing to see! I'll have to keep an eye out for anything unusual in my cans. I agree with the other reply about sending the photo and maybe offering to physically send it for analysis. I too would like them to succeed since they're one of the few foods that don't have starches and gums and other unnecessary ingredients.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

srcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently started feeding my cat Rawz so this is disappointing to see! I'll have to keep an eye out for anything unusual in my cans. I agree with the other reply about sending the photo and maybe offering to physically send it for analysis. I too would like them to succeed since they're one of the few foods that don't have starches and gums and other unnecessary ingredients.
Hey! yes, I love the brand too
I have sent the photos to the company, and they haven't got back to me with what's going on since they are apparently still investigating. I threw out those bits so I wasn't able to send it over. The company is aware that this has been found in the food, the lady said they have had a few calls about it already.

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found hard black pieces in cans of Rawz chicken pate this week. it had ridges/waves on it, so I am doubting it was dried liver. I was wondering if it was part of say packaging for the vitamin mix or something that was accidentally falling into the food when the package was open

The problem is that quality control is really not great with any brand of cat food, even ones that used to be pretty consistent. I know it's all part of COVID and the economy, just like all the formula changes. You have to read cans before you buy them for fear of change due to sourcing issues or whatever all the time these days.

Anyway, I am hoping the cans I purchased were older and in this same lot as mentioned above. I am planning on ordering from a local store this round and hoping maybe it will be a new batch without whatever the black, hard, flat stuff is in any cans. If anyone has any updates on this issue, I'd appreciate hearing them.