Rawz canned experiences?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been trying to add another high quality wet food to my rotation. I introduced Rawz to my cats recently and just spent a small fortune on two cases of cans (duck and turkey) so I hope they are the same quality LOL. They seem to like the rabbit too but the cases for that weren’t available so I’ve skipped it for now (already expensive enough with the case discount). I also tried Farmina and Feline Natural and the Rawz won out over them easily (mainly because Bitsy wouldn’t touch these no matter how I offered them up, but also because 1) the farmina cans are just too small and 2) the FN seemed really dry and chalky for a wet food, I really wasn’t a fan of the texture)

Surprisingly, so far, the Rawz is a food that my picky Bitsy girl will eat. Haven’t tried it all by itself for her yet but she will eat it mixed with her other wet foods, so that’s a big win as she usually refuses most food, even that way. So now there are a total of 3 wetfoods in existence that I know of that she’ll eat!! Moose eats all flavours of it happily without complaints, which is great, because he will likely be getting the Rawz more often than Bitsy (because Bitsy also has a senior wet food she loves that Moose cannot have). Texture is smooth and moist and perfect and similar to their other food which is a big help. I just love how pure and high protein it is, and that it has no suspicious ingredients.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's so interesting how all cats are different. Initially there was no interest at all in Rawz by my 5. I started with the duck pate, which seemed to me to have the highest potential. No interest. When I eventually tried the rabbit pate, one cat decided that she likes it - but only a little bit at a time. So I will keep trying. My dogs really like it - especially the rabbit - so I use it as a treat for them. But initially one of the dogs would have nothing to do with it. He has an extra sensitive sniffer and tends to be suspicious of new foods. He eventually decided to try it though and then decided that he liked it. I suspect it is the fenugreek seeds that smelled bad (different) to him. Maybe it is the same for some cats.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's so interesting how all cats are different. Initially there was no interest at all in Rawz by my 5. I started with the duck pate, which seemed to me to have the highest potential. No interest. When I eventually tried the rabbit pate, one cat decided that she likes it - but only a little bit at a time. So I will keep trying. My dogs really like it - especially the rabbit - so I use it as a treat for them. But initially one of the dogs would have nothing to do with it. He has an extra sensitive sniffer and tends to be suspicious of new foods. He eventually decided to try it though and then decided that he liked it. I suspect it is the fenugreek seeds that smelled bad (different) to him. Maybe it is the same for some cats.
Fenugreek seeds are so far down on the ingredient list. I doubt it was that. They are used as a binder in place of gums. From what I remember, the rabbit pate simply has a strong smell. It's not nearly as strong as fresh rabbit though. It got to a point with Krista that I had to buy whole fryer rabbits and butcher them myself. I removed the organs and legs and traded the remainders to my beertender friend for free beer on rabbit drop nights. I made cat food out of the leg meat, organs, and additional supplements. If you think canned rabbit has a smell, oof! Even frozen, those rabbits had quite a smell to them. I called them "stinky chickens" because when skinned and dressed, they looked a lot like skinned and dressed chickens.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Fenugreek seeds are so far down on the ingredient list. I doubt it was that. They are used as a binder in place of gums. From what I remember, the rabbit pate simply has a strong smell. It's not nearly as strong as fresh rabbit though. It got to a point with Krista that I had to buy whole fryer rabbits and butcher them myself. I removed the organs and legs and traded the remainders to my beertender friend for free beer on rabbit drop nights. I made cat food out of the leg meat, organs, and additional supplements. If you think canned rabbit has a smell, oof! Even frozen, those rabbits had quite a smell to them. I called them "stinky chickens" because when skinned and dressed, they looked a lot like skinned and dressed chickens.
It's rabbit,veg broth, fenugreek seeds,dandelion green. We're those the ingredients when it first came out?

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's rabbit,veg broth, fenugreek seeds,dandelion green. We're those the ingredients when it first came out?
It's probably the same recipe. From the sounds of it, maybe they need more fenugreek seeds to keep that watery stuff all mixed in. I haven't tried Rawz with Betty in over a year. Except the tiny bit of turkey she got for Thanksgiving. She loved it! And then she left it. On the carpet in the other room. 🤦‍♂️ Probably less a commentary on the food than the strangeness of having this high protein/high fat/low carb food on her plate after a couple of years of high carb junky prescription food. I would love it if she would love Rawz more than she does. Although I do not miss having to scour the Internet and drive around town looking for cans, cases, and especially comparing date codes and gently jostling the can next to my ear to hear how watery a particular can or batch may be.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's weird: our cats go back and forth on Rawz but have been eating it happily of late. (I'm sure that the simple fact that I wrote that will jinx me! 🙀 ;)) They even ate Mouser last week without complaining. (:headscratch:) What's especially interesting is that even Ireland -- the cat who refused almost any and all wet food for nearly a year -- has gradually started eating more wet food again, including those two brands. Sure, she's still eating some wet food (probably 1/4-1/3 of her diet?) but I'm glad she's back on lots of wet food. We've finally figured out (at random) how to crack her constipation so she's more regular in the litter box and less finicky at her food dishes. So we're heartily endorsing Rawz. At least this week!

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you underestimate the power of my dog’s sniffer. :) It’s pretty impressive what he can detect in his food. Like medications that I try to hide. It was the duck pate that I started with, not the rabbit. By the time I opened a can of rabbit he had decided that he likes Rawz after all. But there is something different about the way all of their pates smell that gave him pause. It took a lot of sniffing, and looking annoyed that the other dog was eating it, before he finally gave it a try.
I hope Krista appreciated what you went through to please her.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably the same recipe. From the sounds of it, maybe they need more fenugreek seeds to keep that watery stuff all mixed in. I haven't tried Rawz with Betty in over a year. Except the tiny bit of turkey she got for Thanksgiving. She loved it! And then she left it. On the carpet in the other room. 🤦‍♂️ Probably less a commentary on the food than the strangeness of having this high protein/high fat/low carb food on her plate after a couple of years of high carb junky prescription food. I would love it if she would love Rawz more than she does. Although I do not miss having to scour the Internet and drive around town looking for cans, cases, and especially comparing date codes and gently jostling the can next to my ear to hear how watery a particular can or batch may be.
I assume it being the third ingredient would be enough. It would help to be the second ingredient but then I wouldn't buy it

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still have quite a back stock of Rawz cans from a bulk shopping trip a while back, today I thought I'd try to sneak a little in to my cats usual meals or else I'll never use it up. Added about a tablespoon to the rest of their wet at breakfast and so far so good! Maybe I can keep it in rotation this way :crazy:

Foolishly I let my one finicky cat wear me down into adding a little kibble into his wet food. There's no way he's ever going to let me walk that back. I hope the benefit of actually finishing all his wet food outweighs the concerns I have about dry food.

It's been fun catching up with this thread, lots of good feeding ideas.

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still have quite a back stock of Rawz cans from a bulk shopping trip a while back, today I thought I'd try to sneak a little in to my cats usual meals or else I'll never use it up. Added about a tablespoon to the rest of their wet at breakfast and so far so good! Maybe I can keep it in rotation this way :crazy:

Foolishly I let my one finicky cat wear me down into adding a little kibble into his wet food. There's no way he's ever going to let me walk that back. I hope the benefit of actually finishing all his wet food outweighs the concerns I have about dry food.

It's been fun catching up with this thread, lots of good feeding ideas.
I think even modest success should be celebrated when it comes to cats. Only one of my cats (out of 5) will eat Rawz, and she prefers the rabbit. One other cat considers it a little bit from time to time, so maybe eventually I will be 2 for 5. Which is better than other new foods I've tried.
Don't beat yourself up about the dry food slip. Sounds like you are much more disciplined than I am.