Raw Thoughts + Rad Cat

skyring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my god, you guys are making my brain flat EXPLODE with all this raw food info.  I want to possibly give this a whirl, I think with the Rad Cat.  That seems to be the go to for everyone that feeds commercially prepped raw.

Gunner (Bengal) is currently on Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Chicken or Salmon flavored, and a can of Fancy Feast at night.  The dry is currently 'free' fed - he gets a 3/4cup (maybe less, i eyeballed it) at night, and that usually lasts him through 24hrs, if not longer.  He's not a gorger.  That said, we are adopting another Bengal and I plan on using food to introduce them, so he will be cut back to 2x day feedings with a door between the two of them (typical cat intro, etc etc).  I'm pretty sure the rescue I've adopted her from feeds/supplements raw (have an inquiry into them about that), so the less transition for her, the better.  Plus, if I switch to 2x a day feeding after Gun is used to eating whenever, he might be more inclined to stuff face with raw because he'll actually be hungry.  Or that's my though process, anyway :)

So.  Since he's used to chicken based canned & dry, I figured I'd start with Rad Cat's chicken.  I should just add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp to his wet to start with, right, and see how he handles it?  Is there anything I should be keeping an eye out for as far as side effects?  He's a pretty healthy cat minus his current battle with hyperesthesia, so anything digestive I'd notice right off the bat.  I'm sorta hoping going raw would aid his hyperesthesia as well.

What about portion size when he's fully raw?  My understanding from pictures on their site is that the Rad Cat comes in tubs and you scoop it out, is this correct?  If so, what would be the standard feeding amount for him (he's 12-13lbs)?  Would I be better off buying a small kitchen scale to weigh it out, or is by 1/4 or 1/2 tsp the easiest way to do it?

I know I have more questions, but that'll do to start.  I think.  

Thanks!!

ETA:

Found out she (adopted kitty) eats Nature's Variety raw chicken medallions mixed with Fussie Cat chicken and rice.  I've never heard of Fussie Cat, and I think I'd like to steer away from rice, but... would it be a relatively easy switch to Rad Cat, or should I just skip the RC altogether and switch Gun to NV so she has one less stressor when she gets here?

Last edited:

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the raw.  I totally agree about your brain wanting to explode. Mine is still exploding and I just transitioned to raw with Primal  last week really(since they were portioned out for me - I didn't have a scale either).  I have no info to give you as I'm still new to it all but I wanted to wish you luck!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome!!! I would keep the new cat on the NV raw at first. At least that kitty is already on raw. Rad Cat is extremely well taken by most cats. I don't think you will have an issue switching and/or mixing the RC with canned. I would start at 25% raw and 75% canned for a day or two. Then go to 50% for a day or two. If all is well - 100% all the way. As far as how much, not sure for Bengal's. My Domestic kitties weigh between 12 and 14 pounds. They each get about 4.5 ounce of raw meat per day divided into three meals. I also love the freeze dried Stella and Chewey's which my cats get at bedtime - rehydrated with water and only about 1/4 ounce. I bet Gunnar will take to raw quickly! :cross: and will help with the health issues for sure. :nod: I would also start them on a digestive/probiotic supplement. There are a few to choose from and I currently use ProZyme. Very easy to purchase on-line through Amazon or at a natural pet store.

Yeah - :lol3: TONS of info. here on the raw forum. But better that IMO - anything you want to know is here. Look through the Raw Feeding Resource Thread in the sticky section of the Raw Forum. Will help you tremendously as well. How exciting on your new family member! Good luck!! :D :clap: :vibes:

Last edited:

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the transition! I just started transitioning my cats last week and 1 is switching to 100% raw tonight, while the other.. she is a work in progress.

I used to feed Fussie Cat to Esme, because it was the only food she would eat. Most of their foods are grain free but they only have chicken or fish flavors. If rice is not an option, they have one that is Chicken & Vegetables (and you can pick out the veggies since they are fairly big enough). I bought these initially as well, because they were an inexpensive grain free option. I really like that their foods actually look like real food. Their website is down but their facebook page is here.

I started my kitties on Primal and Nature's Variety (since it is local) but I will be implementing Rad Cat soon, I hope. I know you can get cheap kitchen scales on Amazon, that should help with the measuring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I decided to give the Nature's Variety a whirl since the new girl is already on it, so.. easier to get them on the same thing so no one's stealing food they aren't supposed to.  Got a bag of the chicken medallions, mixed it with his canned food and a bit of the kibble, put it down in front of him, and....

...was met with the biggest "What in the everloving HELL are you feeding me??" look I think I've ever seen a cat give.  SIGH.  He sniffed it... and I think he may have tried a bite or two, but... apparently we need to start with an even SMALLER amount.  I'll leave it down until I go to bed in about a half hour or so to see if he tries it when I'm not looking.

The trials & tribulations of raw...

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I decided to give the Nature's Variety a whirl since the new girl is already on it, so.. easier to get them on the same thing so no one's stealing food they aren't supposed to.  Got a bag of the chicken medallions, mixed it with his canned food and a bit of the kibble, put it down in front of him, and....

...was met with the biggest "What in the everloving HELL are you feeding me??" look I think I've ever seen a cat give.  SIGH.  He sniffed it... and I think he may have tried a bite or two, but... apparently we need to start with an even SMALLER amount.  I'll leave it down until I go to bed in about a half hour or so to see if he tries it when I'm not looking.

The trials & tribulations of raw...
Good luck! I know that look! Esme gave it to me on day 1, which is now why we are using Forti Flora (as she doesn't really respond to other toppings, besides kibble).

lakotawolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try to transition your kitty OFF of that dry kibble completely, first. A cat shouldn't be eating kibble anyway, at all, and you'll have a much easier time of the transition if your cat is only on canned/wet food.

Trey leaving a little blob of the raw out for him and don't offer him anything else. Let him decide to give it a taste. Don't -starve- him, but let him think that maybe he might not be getting anything else, so he might want to give this raw stuff a try ;}

Are you warming it up a bit by floating a bag of it in a sinkful of warm water? My cat didn't seem keen on trying her new raw diet until I warmed it a bit.

skyring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I warmed it up tonight... let it sit in his bowl in the microwave (off! LOL) until it got to room temp, about 10 min, then smooshed in a half a can of his Fancy Feast and he licked it clean.  I guess the temperature was getting to him.  I'll add a bit more to it tomorrow and see how it goes, maybe give him a small chunk of it by itself in the AM for breakfast.  Thanks!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like you're on the right track, Skyring!

Two quick thoughts for you...

- Try to get the kitties on a rotation of commercial foods as quickly as they'll allow. NV raw products contain 15% bone, which is higher than a cat would normally eat and more than some cats can handle without constipation. And rotating foods is just good practice. It will keep them from becoming fixated on any one product (a problem if they change or stop producing it) and protect them from potential quality control issues by diluting their impact.

- Aim for three meals a day at minimum instead of two. Cats evolved to feed on multiple small meals a day (according to the Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats, 8 - 12 meals in any given 24 hour period).

When cats go too long without food, their tummies become increasingly acidic and they get nauseous, sometimes to the point of throwing up (usually a clear or slightly foamy liquid). In addition, they might be inclined to gulp their foods if they're overly hungry when they're fed, which can also lead to regurgitation.

Of course, "too long" is specific to every cat - some aren't affected by this, some get nauseous after only five or six hours - but three times a day is the minimum number of meals I'd recommend, and four is even better if you can manage it.

Best regards!

AC

skyring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I think the raw food (at least with the Nature's Variety) is off the table for now.  He's refusing to eat anything canned I put down now and barely touches the dry because he's convinced that there's something in there he doesn't trust.  This, of course, is exacerbating his hyperesthesia issue, because he throws up within about ten minutes after he gets his pill at night because he's eating it on an empty stomach and won't eat his treats anymore.

Given that dry food isn't the best for them, what IS the best one?  He's on Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and if it's the only thing he'll eat, then I'm kinda stuck...