Raw solution to gingivitis

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Ulysses has gingivitis on his left back side of his mouth. I'm pretty certain it's because I can't get him to chew his food. I'm slowly increasing the size of the chunks/strips of met I give them. Any raw solutions to this problem. Vet was really cool with the raw diet but suggested a non raw pellet type of dry food to give as a snack. I don't want to do it. Plus, I don't think fe chews that stuff either.

Any suggestions?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No kibble! It serves no benefit. ;)

But I have seen it advised (from vet sites discussing raw) that if there is a dental problem, the cat should have a dental done before attempting raw chunks. Since it may be painful to chew, I think, plus of course raw isn't going to remove tartar already built up, it will only prevent more from forming.

I don't remember where I read that, but in at least two places. I'll have to search around some of the raw feeding sites I've read and post links if I can find the references.

Okay here's one:

http://catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood#Dental_Health

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His teeth aren't bad. He just has a teensy bit of gingivitis on the one side in The Back. I'm trying to head a problem off at the pass. They've been eating raw for a bit now. I started them on small chunks in the beginning. Just wondering if the bigger chunks will force him to chew and if that will help.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chewing raw won't help reverse gingivitis, but once it's cleared up, it will prevent it. The best thing to do is get a dental, because you can't see what's going on below the gum line, and the gingivitis itself is an indication there is tartar/bacteria build-up - whether you can see it or not. But once it's treated, the raw diet should prevent its return. :)

http://www.cat-world.com.au/gingivitis-in-cats