Raw or cooked, trying both ok?

molanic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of you may have seen my post about "too much angst with pet food" on the nutrition forum already. That is just regarding trying to get my three kibble addicts to at least eat some canned food. One has probable IBD w/ vomiting, one is getting portly. They are trying small amounts of all different kinds, but nothing is really a hit. They are still young and I want to get them on a healthier path, but it is very frustrating. I'm going to try making my own food to control ingredients more and maybe save some money. I'm going try posting shorter specific questions in separate threads this time to keep my posts shorter than a novel :)

Not long ago when my dog was diagnosed with chronic renal failure I read up on raw diets and read that for dogs you need to go all raw or not at all. That the raw meat goes through the digestive tract much faster than commercial non-raw food, and by mixing them you are slowing the transit time for the raw meat causing the bad bacteria and stuff more time to multiply and cause problems? Is this wrong information or does it just not apply to cats? I see lots of people saying they gave a mix of raw and non-raw on and off. Is it harmful to let my kitties try some raw while still eating kibbles or home-cooked?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise

... the raw meat goes through the digestive tract much faster than commercial non-raw food, and by mixing them you are slowing the transit time for the raw meat causing the bad bacteria and stuff more time to multiply and cause problems?...
The theory I've seen in the past is that since kibble moves through the system slower, there is a possibility of it blocking raw food from it's fast track through the system.  This could, in theory, cause a bacterial overload in the system.

Therefore, it's been recommended that if you are going to feed both types of food, they should be separated by a good time margin (something like 8-10 hrs).  Generally, since raw moves faster, the thought would be to serve it for your early meal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molanic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. That is what I will do to be safe if we try any raw foods. I just hadn't seen anyone mention that when talking about cats, so I thought maybe their systems were better able to handle mixed foods than dogs.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of folks will mix raw with WET food during the transition phase, or even just make a "gravy" of wet food to drizzle over the raw for enticement. 

starbuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Transitioning a cat (or cats) over to raw can be e x t r e m e l y frustrating.  Progress should be made whenever possible.  You can certainly mix wet and raw but I would cut out the kibble as soon as you can.  The kitties need to eat everyday to be healthy but as long as this is happening and they are eating even a bit of wet or raw, they will start switching over.  I actually had an almost identical post as yours on other boards.. feeling frustrated wondering if it ever gets easier.  It does get easier but it takes time.  It is frustrating for both you and the cats.  Mix in the food they will eat with little portions of the ones they won't and increase the percent of raw food over time.  Eventually, they will come along.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have read that feeding both raw and kibble will cause cats problems and for the same reasons it causes a dog problems. I can't remember where I read it but I have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molanic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Maureen, that is a great article/site and I bookmarked it to go back later and look at the other information there too. I have not actually tried any raw yet, for now I am just trying to get them to eat canned and home-cooked, but it is so frustrating. I don't think I will be up for trying raw until they are totally off the kibble. Part of me wonders though if they might actually prefer the taste of raw to the cooked and canned?? I guess to try raw I should make sure they hadn't had kibble for at least half a day to be safe.

These buggery kitties are so fussy I have started thanking my dog daily for being such a good lil eater all his 14 years. He has his  issues, but food ain't one of them!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It took awhile for me to get my cats off kibble and into canned only. I found I had to get the kibble out of the house or they would beg at the pantry door. Raw was an easy switch.To hedge my bets I bought Purina Fortiflora and sprinkled a little of it on the food. That did the trick and they ate it without the Fotiflora in a couple feedings. I recently got some Pheasant and the cats turned their noses up at it. I ran to the store and got some temptations treats. I crushed them and put them on top of the Pheasant. They ate it. If the next time I serve that they won't eat it without a topping I just won't serve it again.So far Pheasant is the only food they rejected totally. No one is thrilled with red meat ( except Venison) but they will eat that. My usual rotation is chicken, turkey, pork and rabbit. I bet that once you get your cats off the kibble they will have no problem going from canned to raw.