Raw kitten progress and a question

kittylc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

Well we've had our kitten for 1 week now and I thought I'd let others know how the transition has gone.

The first day I offered the same wet food as the breeder and some raw chicken strips. He ate both and the next morning he ignored the commercial food and only ate the raw

Since then he's been eating everything I've given him, chicken and lamb heart, lamb liver and lung, ox kidney, beef, a sardine and chicken thigh meat and wing cut up.

I've used the frankenprey calculator for his weight/food amount but I'm finding he's eating much more than that. Given he's only 13 weeks old I'm letting him eat as much as he likes and am feeding 4 times per day. Is this ok?

My other question is with his food I'm only giving him 5% liver and 5% kidney once per day as per the calculations. The rest of the meals are just meat. Is this ok or should he get more of the liver and kidney? I'm also using the suggestion of giving an in bone meal 3 times per week (sorry, can't remember the site/reference). So he has a chicken wing cut up on Mon, Wed and Saturday.

Our other kitten arrives tomorrow and I hope she takes to the raw food as well as he has.

If I'm getting this wrong please let me know but so far he seems very happy and is full of energy.

Thanks

Kate

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS forums, and how great of you to feed your kitten(s) raw.

I found a chart on how much you should feed cats and kittens; did you calculate at 4.0%.

And yes for kittens you can feed as much as they want.

Feeding Percentages
1.5% Weight Loss
2.0% Non-Active
2.5% Maintain Weight **
3.0% Slight Weight Gain
3.5% Significant Weight Gain
4.0% Kittens/Puppies (8 weeks-1 year)
4.5-8.0% Kittens/Puppies (4-8 weeks)
4.0-8.0% Pregnant/Lactating