Raw/home Cooked Dilemma

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 3 y.o. male cat will eat raw/cooked chicken or pork any time., but when you add the vitamin/mineral supplements he won't touch it. I tried Rad Cat Freeze Dried Pork and Primal pork and he wouldn't touch that either. I tried using Alnutrin and one other premix on the raw pork and he won't touch it with the premix on it. Is there some other way to get these essential vitamins/mineral in him without bathing the food in it? I was thinking of maybe either injecting the liquid into the meat or possibly portioning it up and placing in capsules to give it to him as a pill. I have ordered some TC Feline and am trying one more time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try a different raw meat that he hasn't had before, and mix the supplement in that. He knows what the chicken and pork taste and smell like without supplementation, so when you offer it with the supplement, it doesn't smell/taste right. But if it's a meat he's not had before, maybe the added supplements won't seem to be a turnoff. You could try ground rabbit or cavies (guinea pig). I get those from Hare Today, they're popular with most kitties. Or maybe turkey, or even fish, just to get those supplements in him! :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 3 y.o. male cat will eat raw/cooked chicken or pork any time., but when you add the vitamin/mineral supplements he won't touch it. I tried Rad Cat Freeze Dried Pork and Primal pork and he wouldn't touch that either. I tried using Alnutrin and one other premix on the raw pork and he won't touch it with the premix on it. Is there some other way to get these essential vitamins/mineral in him without bathing the food in it? I was thinking of maybe either injecting the liquid into the meat or possibly portioning it up and placing in capsules to give it to him as a pill. I have ordered some TC Feline and am trying one more time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I got the TC Feline and mixed a little with some raw chicken I had and as usual he wouldn't touch it. I saw a small meat injector in the store, I may get one and try that.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are like that, they like the raw meat by itself but not with the supplements added. You could try a slow transition to the raw w/supps if they are currently eating a canned food. Mix a bit of the raw into the canned, as little as it takes for him to not notice it. Then gradually, over weeks, increase the amount of raw and decrease the canned until he will eat the raw without the canned.

You could also try the EZComplete supplement mix. It contains green lipped mussel which some cats really like.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats are like that, they like the raw meat by itself but not with the supplements added. You could try a slow transition to the raw w/supps if they are currently eating a canned food. Mix a bit of the raw into the canned, as little as it takes for him to not notice it. Then gradually, over weeks, increase the amount of raw and decrease the canned until he will eat the raw without the canned.

You could also try the EZComplete supplement mix. It contains green lipped mussel which some cats really like.
Thanks! I did try the EZ complete with same results. I will try mixing in some raw with canned.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you feeling meat and organ chunks or ground? If chunks, that can make it more difficult. They might like it better if you mix the supplement powder with a bit of water and coat the chunks with it.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you feeling meat and organ chunks or ground? If chunks, that can make it more difficult. They might like it better if you mix the supplement powder with a bit of water and coat the chunks with it.
I cut Chicken up in small bite sized chunks and follow directions which is to mix in water and coat. No luck this morning, he sniffs it, then sort of paws it. He wants the Chicken but not the TCFeline.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cut Chicken up in small bite sized chunks and follow directions which is to mix in water and coat. No luck this morning, he sniffs it, then sort of paws it. He wants the Chicken but not the TCFeline.
I'm sorry to say it sounds like you just aren't going to one of the lucky ones who have an easy time with the transition. Two of mine were, shall we say, resistant. I just kept at it until they finally decided to eat it. It might be easier to start with ground so that the supplements are mixed in.